©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Insulin Injection Sites - Lantus

Massive G

AnaSCI VIP
Apr 3, 2016
I found this interesting: https://www.lantus.com/using-lantus/choosing-an-injection-site

so where would you shoot almost a CC of insulin - sub q would leave a lump?

---------------------------------------

Choosing an Injection Site

Administering Lantus® to yourself doesn't have to be difficult, but it does take practice.

Your doctor or a member of your healthcare team will show you how.
Where to Administer Lantus® Using the Lantus® SoloSTAR® Pen or Vial and Syringe

• It should be administered into the less sensitive layer of fatty tissue just under the skin
  • It should not be administered into the muscle
  • Avoid moles or scars

22Chart%20png.png

1. The abdomen: Except for a 2-inch circle around the navel
  2. The top and outer thighs: Avoid administering too close to the bony area above the knee
  3. The outer, upper arms: Use the outer back area of the upper arm where there is fatty tissue

Important to Remember

• With Lantus®, insulin administration sites may be rotated between these three areas (1, 2, and 3) because the rate of absorption for Lantus® is similar for all three
  • Each time you administer, use a different site within those three areas. Also rotate your administration sites as instructed by your doctor or healthcare team
  • Do not share needles, insulin pens, or syringes with others. Do NOT reuse needles

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
I would do just above the hip area. Even if there is a lump left it should disappear fairly quickly.

JITB

Jun 8, 2015
i haven't been using any of the above. I've been injecting the delt IM.

JITB

Jun 8, 2015
So I did a web search of intramuscular Lantus injections. Basically, what comes up (not a lot BTW) is that Lantus hits you faster and harder when injecting IM. Also, that Lantus is used up quicker. (Not 20-24 hours, but less).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16176210

Interesting. Will give sub-q a try tomorrow and see if I notice a difference.

montego

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah anything injected intra muscle will work faster then injected sub q in fat.

JITB

Jun 8, 2015
Yes there is a difference. Can be compared to flooring your car's accelerater when the light turns green VS gently pushing down.

But it's been only one morning....