©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Just Had Neck Surgery

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Hey all, Friday I had a Posterior, Left Side, C4-5 Decompression. Things seemed to have gone well.

My surgeon uses a lot of local anesthetic and it wore off about 6pm tonight (Saturday)..LOL! Luckily he prescribed me a good amount of Oxycodone. My left arm is acting a bit weird due to all of the trauma in the surgery area. It's like it's partially asleep but without the numbness and pins and needles...just awkward to move around. It's slowly getting better though.

Anyway, looking forward to things healing up and slowly returning to the gym. I have some other surgeries on the horizon, so it's nice to get one out of the way!

Funny/sad story regarding my insurance...they wouldn't approve my pain meds. They thought one every four hours was too much (10mg Oxycodone for post surgery). For a cervical decompression? Really?? Anyway, I wound up paying cash on Thursday since it hadn't come through yet and then I get a call today, Saturday, at 6pm letting me know it was approved. I'll get reimbursed but what a joke!

I haven't been of the forum as much due to issues with my spine. There are issue in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar...good times! LOL!! For you guys that know some of my history, this is par for the course.

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Damn brother hope you have a speedy recovery, insurance companies are a fucking joke anymore its like they gave a guy damn near a full labotimy and stuck him in an office making policy. Glad it worked out for ya though.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Sux that you had to have surgery, but glad to hear everything went well. Hope your recovery is quick and as painless as possible.

grizz

Mar 28, 2016
Glad the surgery went well brother. Heal up quick. Dumb as hell about the insurance, those guys drive me nuts.

ketsugo

Mar 1, 2005
Earth
Hey all, Friday I had a Posterior, Left Side, C4-5 Decompression. Things seemed to have gone well.

My surgeon uses a lot of local anesthetic and it wore off about 6pm tonight (Saturday)..LOL! Luckily he prescribed me a good amount of Oxycodone. My left arm is acting a bit weird due to all of the trauma in the surgery area. It's like it's partially asleep but without the numbness and pins and needles...just awkward to move around. It's slowly getting better though.

Anyway, looking forward to things healing up and slowly returning to the gym. I have some other surgeries on the horizon, so it's nice to get one out of the way!

Funny/sad story regarding my insurance...they wouldn't approve my pain meds. They thought one every four hours was too much (10mg Oxycodone for post surgery). For a cervical decompression? Really?? Anyway, I wound up paying cash on Thursday since it hadn't come through yet and then I get a call today, Saturday, at 6pm letting me know it was approved. I'll get reimbursed but what a joke!

I haven't been of the forum as much due to issues with my spine. There are issue in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar...good times! LOL!! For you guys that know some of my history, this is par for the course.

I feel you -
The 2000s I had many orthopedic surgery procedures spine , hip , humerus. Doc put me on narcotics for long time . In fact for year I had to go too a pain clinic . However all the damn pharmacy peeps would hassle me . Even my doc would get annoyed saying “ I’m a medical doctor, they need to allow me to treat my patients “ cuz one place refused to fill so my doc had to call the pharmacy beforehand. I later got off and believe me if you stay on for long your body will depend on the compound and withdrawal symptoms are sheer torture . I’ll take shattered spine or kidney stone pain even over withdrawing. Believe me physically and mentally torture . Fortunately they make meds to get off and those even have withdrawals but took me 2 years . I’ve never had drug problem so this was all doc recommended but never again will I take anything but ibuprofen. If your not aware like I wasn’t you think you’re going crazy shakes , sweats cramps , total insanity . Then you still get hassled at the pharmacy getting your meds filled . Crazy stuff . Find good sports medicine physical therapist. Not regular . All us here work out so typical PT usually don’t cut it . Look up where your area pro sports athletes go in your area . That’s what I did and my spine and neck strongest parts of my body . Good luck bro .

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
3 years ago I herniated c2&3... My left arm would go numb numerous times a day...the MRI was horrible...I experienced excruciating pain for 40 minutes...a couple rounds of cortico steroids and 8 months of next to nothing and the discs finally shrunk...my left arm atrophied badly...it was kind of funny because I could not curl 5 pounds for months...I still have some tingling if I tip my head too far back or twist it to the left...good luck....

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Wish you the best K1 in a speedy recovery brother.

**It's me Bio, not K1**

Last edited by a moderator:

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Damn that is some shit to deal with. Just aquainted with a guy in NJ BTEngineering who lifts but has a cage and some other stuff done to his spine/neck. Been trying to get him on the board.

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Hope it's going well, Bio. Yep the phony war on opiates is just another failure of massive federal government overreach. The only ones who end up getting inconvenienced, or even not getting the proper treatment are the legitimate patients who are in pain.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
I wish you a speedy recovery. Sounds like it's been a bad time for you.

Sparkss

Aug 19, 2018
last year I had a herniated cervical disc c5/c6. I now have an artificial disc. The surgery wasn't as bad as yours and I was on ibu within 12 hours of surgery (all I needed). I was back lifting less than a month later, with my doctor's blessing. I guess from reading your post that I just got lucky!

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
The surgery I had went well but I had other issues as well. On October 24th I had a C7-T1 fusion. I was originally supposed to have these two surgeries together but the insurance company was a pain in the ass, so I did this one and then finally got approved for the other.

I previously had C5-6 and C6-7 fused. The Ankylosing Spondylitis is now causing the C4-5 level to fuse on its own.

On December 13th, 3 weeks from now, I'm scheduled to have a L2-3 Discectomy. Assuming the insurance company doesn't make it difficult.

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
The surgery I had went well but I had other issues as well. On October 24th I had a C7-T1 fusion. I was originally supposed to have these two surgeries together but the insurance company was a pain in the ass, so I did this one and then finally got approved for the other.

I previously had C5-6 and C6-7 fused. The Ankylosing Spondylitis is now causing the C4-5 level to fuse on its own.

On December 13th, 3 weeks from now, I'm scheduled to have a L2-3 Discectomy. Assuming the insurance company doesn't make it difficult.

I am sorry to read this. Hopefully your next surgery will be your last one and they manage to fix everything.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Bio, you are in definite need for a positive run at some point brother! You are one tough guy after all you have been through....if I didn't have kids, not sure I could have gone through all you have, major respect buddy!

Prayers and positive thoughts your way for the next round in a few weeks:)