©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Goat meat

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Try some billy goat sully
Get a nice mature male

I’ve eaten plenty of goat, buddy. It’s one of my favorite, it’s just not as convenient to buy as going to Sam’s club and loading up on chicken and steak. And I figured a lot of guys here probably haven’t ever been exposed to it before, so they might like to know that it’s a really good alternative. I especially like that it’s lower in saturated fats than other red meats like beef, as well as being leaner.

I’m going to have to find somewhere around me that I can start sourcing it, though. Looks like the deep freeze is about to get crowded.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
Only issue with meats like this is they are always more expensive. Although any good quality chicken is still expensive and most of the cheap stuff is full of hormones and water.

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
I’ve eaten plenty of goat, buddy. It’s one of my favorite, it’s just not as convenient to buy as going to Sam’s club and loading up on chicken and steak. And I figured a lot of guys here probably haven’t ever been exposed to it before, so they might like to know that it’s a really good alternative. I especially like that it’s lower in saturated fats than other red meats like beef, as well as being leaner.

I’m going to have to find somewhere around me that I can start sourcing it, though. Looks like the deep freeze is about to get crowded.

In your area and southern Indiana the best place I find for this kind of meat is the smaller butchers, the ones that deal with alot of the local farmers personal meat butchering usually have a local farmer they can refer you to for the live stock your after and at a really good price. They usually can have it brought to the shop for you and butcher it for a better price than you can buy elsewhere. All you have to do is bring a couple coolers and pick up. If you want to drive a little into Indiana the butcher in canelburg I believe it's called is very good . I've never gotten meat that was even close to being subpar. Probably should check the spelling on that town though . It's just a little speck in the road around 45 min to an hour from Louisville.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
In your area and southern Indiana the best place I find for this kind of meat is the smaller butchers, the ones that deal with alot of the local farmers personal meat butchering usually have a local farmer they can refer you to for the live stock your after and at a really good price. They usually can have it brought to the shop for you and butcher it for a better price than you can buy elsewhere. All you have to do is bring a couple coolers and pick up. If you want to drive a little into Indiana the butcher in canelburg I believe it's called is very good . I've never gotten meat that was even close to being subpar. Probably should check the spelling on that town though . It's just a little speck in the road around 45 min to an hour from Louisville.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look it up and do some checking.

Durro

Jan 24, 2018
I grew up with my grandpa and we would butcher cows, pigs, sheep, goats in our backyard. The whole family would participate the men would kill and dress and the woman would handle the innards. We did a turkey for Thanksgiving one year and a few chickens. Always from local ranchers and that’s the best meat you can get a lot of work but it’s worth it meat for months!
Family members uncles and cousins would hunt deer and elk and would give us meat for helping them slaughter and store meat in the freezer. Wild game has a stronger flavor. Go for it You can find goat in Greek restaurants.

Durro

Jan 24, 2018
I forgot to mention nothing went to waste. We would eat everything even roast the heads in the oven and eat the cheeks, eyes and tongue. Yes the heart, kidneys and intestines also but not the lungs. I can’t remember.

Getbiger

Donating Member
Dec 11, 2017
If there's one in your area, try a middle eastern grocery store or halal butcher. They're the most likely to carry it because it's very common in curries and such.

Getbiger

Donating Member
Dec 11, 2017
Venison is something I do NOT like. Not my thing at all.

I don't like venison if it hasn't been butchered properly and cured. Most people dont take the time to remove tarsel glands right after their harvest before field dressing and leave the skin on afterwards to draw out the toxins which leave the gamey flavor.

*KT*

Donating Member
Jan 14, 2015
TN
What are tarsel glands? Never heard of those.

Believe he is talking about the scent glands on their legs although i have never removed them myself. Plenty of deer to kill in TN, current limit is 3 does per day lol. Have a local mennonite beef farm that does alot of deer processing. They put small amts of beef fat in the deer meat. Pretty tasty.

Getbiger

Donating Member
Dec 11, 2017
Believe he is talking about the scent glands on their legs although i have never removed them myself. Plenty of deer to kill in TN, current limit is 3 does per day lol. Have a local mennonite beef farm that does alot of deer processing. They put small amts of beef fat in the deer meat. Pretty tasty.

Yup. On the inside of their hind legs. If you take em off immediately after them being harvested it dramatically reduces the gamey flavor. My wife refused to eat deer. I snuck some in on her and she didn't even know. Now she loves it!

*KT*

Donating Member
Jan 14, 2015
TN
Yup. On the inside of their hind legs. If you take em off immediately after them being harvested it dramatically reduces the gamey flavor. My wife refused to eat deer. I snuck some in on her and she didn't even know. Now she loves it!

Hows that. Does it still touch the meat or circulate thru the body somehow?