©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Bench press

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
I am not looking for praise but I want to let the old timers know that it is possible to still hit some decent numbers...this past Friday morning at 4:30 am I benched 340 for a smooth paused single...I'm 6'2" and 220...15 years ago that would of been 405 but a ruptured tricep tendon and a torn pec along with all of the good stuff that comes with aging takes it's toll...i would like to thank the guys at tgc....

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
Great lift. But if I had torn a pec you wouldn't get me near a single on flat bench press.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Great lift. But if I had torn a pec you wouldn't get me near a single on flat bench press.

Back in 2004 I was getting ready for IPF master's Nationals...it was 7 weeks away...my pec tore warming up on my first rep with 225...2 weeks before I put up 470 at 220 in a single ply inzer polyester...luckily the tendon was fine...but I have a sweet lump in that pec...Sylvester Stallone tore his right pec during the filming of Rocky 2...watch his movies carefully and you can see the tear...Stallone will always try to hide it by not showing his right pec when filming...but it is there...

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
Great lift. Never too old to push things. I need to get my bench up. Although I keep all my pressing to the Smith these days for safety reasons.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
Very good lift. Do you think 400 is on the cards in the future or will you play it safe?

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Very good lift. Do you think 400 is on the cards in the future or will you play it safe?

I am shutting it down for the winter...back to reps...at 59 I am unable to train all-out all year...my joints and tendons can't take the pounding...you'll find that there will come a day when progress will be measured differently...it comes with age...

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
I am shutting it down for the winter...back to reps...at 59 I am unable to train all-out all year...my joints and tendons can't take the pounding...you'll find that there will come a day when progress will be measured differently...it comes with age...

Smart move. I am the same but do push it more than I should. I guess I have been lucky. Although I find a slight incline or decline feels safer for me. I don't flat barbell bench now as everyone I know who has torn a pec done so flat barbell pressing. I sometimes flat db press but don't go below 8 reps.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Smart move. I am the same but do push it more than I should. I guess I have been lucky. Although I find a slight incline or decline feels safer for me. I don't flat barbell bench now as everyone I know who has torn a pec done so flat barbell pressing. I sometimes flat db press but don't go below 8 reps.

Interesting...I too am going to inclines for the winter...I am going to set the bench at about a 30 degree angle and go lighter...I know of no one that has ever torn a price from inclines...

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Nice lift. I find not going all the way down keep thinking safer as well. I use a thick pad around the middle of the bar so I can't go all the way down.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Nice lift. I find not going all the way down keep thinking safer as well. I use a thick pad around the middle of the bar so I can't go all the way down.

Sometimes I will attach a black shoulder saver pad to the bar...it works like a 2 board...long ago I would just take a foam roller and shove it my shirt...it worked just as well...

graybass

Nov 20, 2018
Nice!!! I'm around your age. Competed in power for like 30 years. Always trained heavy for my weight class. Over the years I would almost always have a sore right shoulder. It would heal but always took longer and longer. Then about 6 months ago I started to lose range of motion in my right arm. Now I have no lateral motion. Had MRI, my supraspinatus (Outside delt, rotator muscle) is completely detached and has retracted up inside my body! Ouch! Doc says 100% fixable and I'll be back to decent pushes and pulls with just orthoscopic surgery. I'll never do a heavy single again, so just be careful. When you can't lift for 6 months you miss it like not being able to breathe.

Jayd

Donating Member
Nov 26, 2018
That’s an impressive lift for anyone. Especially considering the general population can’t bench 135.
I consider myself pretty strong and fit and rarely go over 225. I can only hope I can put up 300 plus at 59.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Nice!!! I'm around your age. Competed in power for like 30 years. Always trained heavy for my weight class. Over the years I would almost always have a sore right shoulder. It would heal but always took longer and longer. Then about 6 months ago I started to lose range of motion in my right arm. Now I have no lateral motion. Had MRI, my supraspinatus (Outside delt, rotator muscle) is completely detached and has retracted up inside my body! Ouch! Doc says 100% fixable and I'll be back to decent pushes and pulls with just orthoscopic surgery. I'll never do a heavy single again, so just be careful. When you can't lift for 6 months you miss it like not being able to breathe.

Interesting...a close friend that was once ranked very high in the 275s now has 2 artificial knees, one fake shoulder and is going back in December for the other shoulder...I still tell him that what I learned most from him was what NOT to do!...he went pedal to the metal non stop for years...he can't tuck his shirt in now and he is 63....

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
I am not looking for praise but I want to let the old timers know that it is possible to still hit some decent numbers...this past Friday morning at 4:30 am I benched 340 for a smooth paused single...I'm 6'2" and 220...15 years ago that would of been 405 but a ruptured tricep tendon and a torn pec along with all of the good stuff that comes with aging takes it's toll...i would like to thank the guys at tgc....

Congrats, that's very impressive! Keep up the hard work!