©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Streching for bodybuilding. Yes or no?

geardepot

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jun 8, 2018
It seems that of all aspects of bodybuilding training, stretching is the one part that is most often ignored by the majority of people. After an intense workout, a little cardio, the last thing I felt like doing was hanging around the gym to stretch! LOL The one thing I didn't realize is that when stretching is properly integrated into a weight training program it can actually speed up your muscle growth! By utilizing stretching exercises that are designed to stretch the connective tissue which surrounds the muscles, which will expand the fascia and enable the muscles to grow bigger and stronger. You DO NOT have to do each and every stretch after every workout. Just stretch the muscles that you trained! The actual time commitment to doing these stretches is minimal(about 5-10 minutes at the end of a workout). I saw noticeable improvements in my muscle fullness and separation within the 6-8 weeks after incorporating stretching in to my routine.
GD

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
Stretching before lifting prevents a lot of injuries. Stretching after workout helps to circulate the blood flow to tight swollen muscles. I think it helps in recovery.

DrZaius7

Jan 17, 2019
It seems that of all aspects of bodybuilding training, stretching is the one part that is most often ignored by the majority of people. After an intense workout, a little cardio, the last thing I felt like doing was hanging around the gym to stretch! LOL The one thing I didn't realize is that when stretching is properly integrated into a weight training program it can actually speed up your muscle growth! By utilizing stretching exercises that are designed to stretch the connective tissue which surrounds the muscles, which will expand the fascia and enable the muscles to grow bigger and stronger. You DO NOT have to do each and every stretch after every workout. Just stretch the muscles that you trained! The actual time commitment to doing these stretches is minimal(about 5-10 minutes at the end of a workout). I saw noticeable improvements in my muscle fullness and separation within the 6-8 weeks after incorporating stretching in to my routine.
GD

I concur
Peeps just need to be careful stretching pre-workout when muscles are cold. Save heavier stretching for after

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
I always stretch during and after training. Loaded stretching is good for muscle building as well.

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
While I stretch after working out I am not sure of it's worth . I have spent years stretching and got injured. And spent years not stretching and have got injured. Half of the studies I have seen show stretching does not stop injuries. And virtually every study that I have seen shows stretching during a work out causes people to actually be weaker during your workout.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I stretch post workout. Staying flexible and loose is important to me and I feel helps prevent injuries.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
I warm up slowly on the exercise I am doing. If I have the time I stretch post workout. Loaded/extreme stretching is good to finish a body part. I like to do loaded stretching for my lats with weighted hangs.

GearPro

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jul 3, 2013
Warm up before training. That means the whole body, to improve blood flow and to slightly raise core body temperature, as well as warm up the muscle group you are going to be training that day.

Warm ups should also focus on the joints associated with the muscle groups being trained. When lifting chest, for example, focus on making sure the shoulder joint is loose and is prepared for a full range of motion. Warm ups should be very low to even no weight movements. If it feels like you’re doing any work at all, it’s too much weight. Resistance bands are great for warm ups.

Stretching should be saved for post workout. Never, ever stretch before a workout. Warming up and stretching are 2 very different activities, with 2 very different purposes. There is plenty of research that shows that stretching before a workout can actually increase the incidences of soft tissue and joint injuries. Stretch after you lift, as part of a cool down routine.

Proper stretching has no real negative consequences, and can only help you. It likely will actually help improve many lifts. I think Dave Tate even days in one of his videos that stretching should be an integral part of every power lifters routine. Bodybuilders are essentially just powerlifters that spend too much time looking in the mirror.

Wolverinex

Feb 7, 2019
I never stretch, just some exaggerated movements to get blood flowing to the area(s) I am going to train. 5-10 minutes of low intensity cardio machine

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
I need to start stretching more. If I do its usually post workout. I sometimes do light cardio for 10 minutes to warm up before training.

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
Stretching is best done warm not a warm up. And note that regardless of your views on bodybuilding or power etc- flexibility enhances your level of health , longevity and fitness . Without these you can not progress and continue as one ages . If you don’t care about what you look and feel like after 50 why ? I been doing for 40 years , bodybuilding is the foundation of youth . I’m one also believes AAS , SARMs , GH enhances if not abused and respect how they work . Diet is everything.

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
Stretching before lifting prevents a lot of injuries. Stretching after workout helps to circulate the blood flow to tight swollen muscles. I think it helps in recovery.

Respect: you need to warm up first . Stretching cold is leading cause of injury . Having taught many martial arts along with bodybuilding I can’t tell you how many people have no clue when or how to stretch properly. Flexibility is increased only when muscle is warm . Both dynamic and static stretching is required to gain complete efficiency. Like when a basic hurdlers stretch for hamstring- chin to shin or chest to thigh none of this bending your torso so head touched knee or putting leg up high awkwardly like too many do . Light aerobic Or calisthenics or like few minutes on treadmill is warm up . Then static then dynamic .

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
While I stretch after working out I am not sure of it's worth . I have spent years stretching and got injured. And spent years not stretching and have got injured. Half of the studies I have seen show stretching does not stop injuries. And virtually every study that I have seen shows stretching during a work out causes people to actually be weaker during your workout.

Absolutely correct! However total fitness requires a little of everything in right measures . I too seen studies that makes one weaker if you do during as the exercise are counter productive. I always do after cardio after my weights

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
Prevent injuries by training carefully, listening to body , not over training and taking rest and recover. Yoga actually has high injury but usually beginners or doing too much incorrect. Bodybuilding and fitness prevents injury which is combining all variables

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Wait till you are 59...I spend 10 minutes on the floor stretching pre workout...especially hamstrings, quads and lower back...lots of shoulder dislocates with a broom stick...pec stretches...it makes a difference for me especially since I lift at 4 am....