©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Aikido

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
So I told everyone that my daughter is taking Karate. I have been wanting to get back into some form of Martial Art for years and going to the studio with her really gave me the bug. I was thinking about Aikido but here's the thing. I have a degenerated disc in my back that has caused severe muscle spasms in my back. It has put me down for 2 weeks in the past. Do you think lifting weights brings the same risk as taking a hard fall on the mat.

Has anyone taken Aikido? Looks friggin awesome

ajc197925

Nov 27, 2004
In my opinion lifting heavy weights properly with a preexisting injury would not have the same risk of injury to the vertabrae as, lets say as a hard jolting hit to the mat. Lifting properly may elliminate, for the most part, unhealthy strain to your vertabrae, but I don't think there is a guarantee that taking hard falls is being risk averse. Two completely different stresses to the body. Your injury sounds fairly serious, and this question can be best answered by a doctor. Don't risk it and complicate a possibly debilitating back injury until you get a proper exam.

dump truck

Feb 11, 2005
if you have a bad back I would suggest you DO NOT do ant sort of martial arts. If you get leg swept and land hard you will be in big trouble. Try some Thai Chi it strengthens with low impact. I agree Aikido is a very good martial art I fought an Aikido student at MMA and he was hard to beat.

Zaven

May 18, 2005
Blackbird said:
So I told everyone that my daughter is taking Karate. I have been wanting to get back into some form of Martial Art for years and going to the studio with her really gave me the bug. I was thinking about Aikido but here's the thing. I have a degenerated disc in my back that has caused severe muscle spasms in my back. It has put me down for 2 weeks in the past. Do you think lifting weights brings the same risk as taking a hard fall on the mat.

Has anyone taken Aikido? Looks friggin awesome
I take Aikido.......Once you learn to fall, you'll have nothing to worry about.....but it is pretty demanding on the back......I cracked a couple of ribs from being thrown. lifting weights doesn't compare at all to having your ass thrown 20 feet across the dojo and landing flat on your back......lol

I highly recommend Aikido.......it is a very very very hard style to learn......

it's kinda funny to watch an entry level aikido practioner toss a kung-fu, karate, etc....master being tossed around like a rag doll.....

Last edited: