©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

WolfyEVH,DragonRider or Tee can you guys help me on this?

Captain Canuck

Oct 9, 2005
Up North
www.musclemaniax.com
Today I was at the gym and one of my friends asks me a question about Protein.

I did not want to give him the wrong answer so I thought I would ask some of you.

Here was his question: I’m a vegetarian so I don’t eat meat. When on a cycle could I replace meat with more protein shakes?

I think I know the answer but it’s always good to have some intelligent suggestions!

If one of the vet or mods can suggest a plan?

Please let me know thanks!

W

wolfyEVH

does he eat eggs???? i'd have him get some of the blended protein powders. they are more expensive, but they don't digest as fast as whey. Whey is really only beneficial first thing in the morning and right after a workout. He has tons of dairy products(yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, etc) he can eat as well.

i personally wouldnt recommend someone to cycle who is a vegan. there are tons of people who do it im sure, but its very difficult to get sufficient amounts of complete proteins w/o meat. tell him to man up and eat some meat. God put animals on this earth for a reason. Its called the food chain.

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
Its going to come down to how much complete protein he consumes. If hes eating 1.5g protein per bodyweight, he should gain fine, meat or no meat. But what he needs to do is really vary his protein sources. If hes getting alot from shakes, then he needs to have different kinds, like shakes with powderered egg protein. Also, he should consume shakes with caseinate protein, which is a very high quality, but slow digesting protein. In addition, he should be using mainly whey isolate shakes, since he will be relying largely upon them for his main protein source, if he is not going to eat meats. Have him avoid whey concentrate as it is inferior. He should also mix some good fats with his shakes, or have his shakes with his veggie meals to slow the absorption as they go thru u like water, which we dont want.

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
If he eats dairy and fish, he will do great. Even without the fish, the shakes/dairy products will give him enough protein sources to mix up with and he'll grow fine.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Yep, a protein BLEND is the way to go. If he just used whey protein, about 40% of it wouldnt even be utilized by the body to build muscle because it goes through the system too fast. Whey is great because it strengthens the immune system, and hits home the aminos when they are needed fast like during a post workout meal. As Heavy said, get the blend with Whey isolate, not whey concentrate. The Casein as was mentioned, is digested more slowly, and it compliments the amino acid profile. Get the micellar casein, not the sodium caseinate. If you buy a blended protein, shoot for a 70%-30% ratio with it being 70% Whey, 30% casein. If you want to save some cash and blend it yourslef, you can even add some egg protein in and make it a 60% whey-for immune boosting properties and a quick amino blast, 30% casein-for its anti-catabolic properties, and 10% egg- to compliment the amino acid profile. Stay completely away from soy protein.

Captain Canuck

Oct 9, 2005
Up North
www.musclemaniax.com
Guys thanks for all the information on this.

I think the best thing to do for my friend is just print it out. I will give him you’re suggestions’ and hope that he will come up with some kind of food chart from all of this. It should be interesting what he come up with.

Again thanks all!