©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

gear GEAR questions please

pistonpump

Jun 29, 2006
Okay I have a few questions regarding transferring and filtering gear, etc. Hope I can get some answers.

~Say i have some oil in sachets, and I want to filter them into vials. Now i use a .22 whatman but what is the procedure on this? Do I just draw with the needle, place filter on vial and shoot needle through filter into the sterile vial?

~When buying sterile sealed vials does that mean that they are already crimped with a stopper or just sealed in airtight wrapper/container?
If they do not have stoppers, and I use butyl stoppers do they just plug into the vial or would i still need to get a crimper and crimp them?

~Lastly, I know this has been covered but I hope this isnt too much of a burden to answer but what type of sterile oil is best? Are they pretty much all the same or would something like sesame oil have plusses to fat burning etc. I mean what is the choice out of grapeseed, cottonseed, sesame, and walnut oils?

Im getting ready to order all my gear gear so I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I apprieciate the help in advance.

boombaby

Dec 23, 2004
secter 7b zone 103
question 1 - yup,. A vent pin is needed or draw a vaccuum in your sterile vial,which is how I do it.

Question 2- Yes buy sealed and pre-crimped vials

Question 3- Grapeseed seems to be the healthiest and is very thin but sesame is thinner. I use grape seed for everything

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
The Whatman Filter will screw on your Syringe... then your Needle will screw on the whatman filter.

Like BoomBaby said youll want to put a needle tip only into the sealed Vial to
releive the pressure...Then use your Whatman,needle combo to filter it Into the SEALED , sterile Vial.
youll see once you have it its a pretty simple process.
Any Usp Sterile oil you can get from a research company or kit supplier will work. I always reccomend to guys to use
www.Kaotikchemistry.com there good honest people and will also help with any questions you may have.

pistonpump

Jun 29, 2006
Thanks alot

thanks alot fellahs. You responses have been of great help. I was especially confused on how the whatman works but Rajjin cleared that up for me nicely. As far as the oils i was going to go with grapeseed from the start but i thought sesame might have anti fat properties, but ill go with grapeseed because of what was stated here and i also heard it has antioxidant properties.

P

pincrusher

one other thing to note which is very important: use extreme patience when pushing the oil through the filter. it is a very slow process and you cannot try to push the oil through to fast or you risk a blowout of the filter which would cause you to have to refilter everything all over again. i did this once and it sucked but i learned my lesson. it should take ya a couple minutes to fliter a 10ml syringe filled with the solution.
i use grapeseed oil also. i buy it from the grocery store then heat it to 250degree's in the oven for 45 minutes then run it through a filter before i get ready to use it. easier way is to just buy from a research supply company like the one rajjin recommends. they are very good with a great reputation