©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Dealing with injuries, setbacks and life in general.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
I'm not sure, but I don't think there's a specific area/thread which deals with this topic here which I think can help people out enormously.
From injuries, to sickness (both physical and emotional), setbacks, life events/changes these are the things people deal with every day.

In the life of a seriously dedicated fitness enthusiast, competitive or non-competitive, pro or amateur/hobbyist, we ALL have hurdles to get over and our devotion to our sport/job/hobby/etc. can make this a very trying time or event which plays heavily upon us and our lives.

Since this place in my humble opinion has always been a place I find more 'humanity' I think possibly starting a thread/sticky would be a cool addition to the many topics we see here. Possibly a thread to contribute our own stories of stuggle and share our wisdom (notice, not 'smarts', wisdom is something you gain from living, not a book!) with each other, we can help that person struggling with an issue, a setback with our own stories which may inspire others to overcome their own personal battle. Just an idea.

G.

rangerjockey

Donating Member
Jan 16, 2014
Island life
My topic is injury, I have been battling tendonitis in my right shoulder for over a year, advil, aleve, ice,penetrex cream and dmso (stinky shit). Motivation drops! cant do heavy chest drives me nuts. Saturday shoulder was feeling pretty good, (you know where im going) yup smith machine inclines, 225 on my third rep, "pop"then a shredding sound down came the weight! Its gotten better have to sleep in a chair, cant lay down. Calling my Dr. today x-ray and Mri, hopefully he will give me a cortisone blast. SO? I will focus on legs and fat loss. I am not caving in to this bull shit.

Its like we live in a glass house, ... life, injury, loved ones, stress and the four lettered word, "WORK". One little fart in the wind can throw us off our focus. :rolleyes:

I have been through this before, surgery, rehab and I am back. I will admit the best thing after "trying times?" The healthy body, mind COMEBACK! full throttle baby. I can honestly say at 48 years old, these trying times suck when they are in your "kitchen" but when the smoke clears, I am again totally focused for the task at hand. Message here......bad times can work in your favor. Keep that glass of yours "half full not empty."

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Great idea Grim! This thread will be a good one.

Ranger, I like your attitude! You have a champion's outlook and will prevail. I have always said that injuries are part of serious training. Hang tough and better days are on the way. We all get wiser with age and experience.

Last edited:

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I've got my own issues with injury...I'm sure most of us do. Mine (well, this particular injury) is not from weight training. At 26, I tore my right ACL. I had ACL reconstruction, and then a couple of years later doc went in and removed one of the screws because it was bothering me. All is well for almost 15 years. Then I was in a groundfighting class, and got thrown off an opponent. Me and everyone else heard pops and cracks come from my knee when I tried to stop being thrown. Here we go again....
Now, my knee pops in an out of socket regularly. I got one of the Don Joye football lineman braces from my orthopedic surgeon. It helps..but only when you wear the aggravating thing. I have orthoscopic surgery scheduled for Dec 2 for doc to go in and look around and clean up my knee a bit. I am sure he is going to see a re torn ACL and possibly MCL- which I told him not to fix. I can't afford the 6 months rehab it would take to recover from another one of those surgeries.
But through all of this, I have continued to train my legs regularly and my surgeon says this probably helps my knee with strong muscles and tendons.
The moral of the story is...guys, please take care of your body and all its parts. Once injured, we pretty much are going to be dealing with it for the rest of our days.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Chris, thanks for sharing that. I can only imagine the frustration of having that sleeping dragon rear its ugly head and sideline not only your training, but your daily routine. I hope that your surgery goes well, and if it's not too much trouble, please if you don't object, keep us updated on your situation.
G.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Good luck on the surgery Chris. You have done the best thing to keep moving that knee. Its a very rare person indeed that been a serious long-term lifter, and never had a serious injury.

You are right, its never quite the same after an injury happens but we find ways around the new obstacle and get to the results we want. Keep your eye on your goal.

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
My "injury" is something that Ive had since i was 12 osgoodslaughters "prob misspelled. What it amounts to is a big calcium deposit under my kneecap that hurts like hell when i bump it on something, when the weather changes, or when im under heavy weight. Sucks ive been offered surgery to correct it but ive never been in a position that i couldnt work for the amount it would take to rehab. So like with alot of things you gut thru it and get the job done regardless.

Attachments

• 1415748742029.jpg
    1415748742029.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 48

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
SR1, is there anything they can do about that? That looks like it would be uncomfortable for sure! Is there a way to clean that out?

Sandpig

AnaSCI VET
Mar 22, 2014
SIN CITY
Wow, cool thread. It just so happens I am now out of commission for a while.

I've had wrist issues for years. Never had it looked at since I just figured t's from over use at the gym and work.

Well yesterday I really messed it up doing of all things, Leg Curls. :banghead:

Hopefully I week off from the gym and wearing a wrist support at work will help.

Other than that, I've been lucky and haven't had any major injuries except the occasional back flare up.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I will also be going in for surgery soon... on December 17th I am finally having my gyno removed! It seems a little ridiculous that I am excited to have this done, but it has been causing me chest pain since I was 11 years old and now I will no longer have to deal with it... I will be out of the gym for 3-4 weeks, but I think I am going to hit it hard and heavy after that and should be back to normal shortly...

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Right now I'm planning my surgery for not one, but two hernias. One is an epigastric first fixed in 2008 and came back this past April and the second is an umbilical, hidden in my navel. Neither really bother me, but they'll need fixing. Like you Atom, a few weeks out of the gym, but I'll be back at it soon afterwards.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Right now I'm planning my surgery for not one, but two hernias. One is an epigastric first fixed in 2008 and came back this past April and the second is an umbilical, hidden in my navel. Neither really bother me, but they'll need fixing. Like you Atom, a few weeks out of the gym, but I'll be back at it soon afterwards.

Damn dude.. al the best.. we a re beat up bunch of meatheads lol

I am running some pep right now, and I think I am going to continue on the peps through the recovery period as I think they should speed recovery... I don't see using them as being a problem...

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Damn dude.. al the best.. we a re beat up bunch of meatheads lol

I am running some pep right now, and I think I am going to continue on the peps through the recovery period as I think they should speed recovery... I don't see using them as being a problem...

tr00 dat. But for my age, I'm doing pretty well thankfully!
which peps you running now? CJC and GHRP?

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
tr00 dat. But for my age, I'm doing pretty well thankfully!
which peps you running now? CJC and GHRP?

CJC No DAC 1.4mg/day and MK-677 25mg/day

I chose MK-677 over ipamorelin because MK-677 stimulates a GH release similar to the ghrelin mimetics (ipa or ghrp) but it is not a ghrelin mimetic. It has a longer half life, approximately 24 hours and is suited for once daily dosing unlike ipa or a ghrp. If I was using mod grf, I would use a ghrp or ipa, but DAC doesn't require the multiple daily dosing, so why bother myself with taking another peptide multiple times per day if I don't have to...

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
SR1, is there anything they can do about that? That looks like it would be uncomfortable for sure! Is there a way to clean that out?

Oh ya military offered to fix it for me but ive never really been in a position to where i could take the time off to rehab after surgery.....im the sole income for my family and i own my own business so if i dont work daily no money comes in and with my business if i had to take a couple weeks off my clients would have to find someone else to do the job. Sucks but its the way it is ive learned to live with it and do pretty good.:)

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Dang! Sand, Atom, Grim... looks like Dr. Brick will be busy handing out pep talks!

I hear you srd1. I work for myself too. No work, no pay. Even on holidays.