©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Reframed and Renewed - A Change of Direction

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Well fellas, I had to spend some time away from any kind of forums for a bit to sort some thoughts out and really see what I want to do with respect to bodybuilding, my career and life in general. I know the forums and all of you guys are an incredible resource in providing guidance but often times I feel like I become engaged in the discussions and thoughts surrounding bodybuilding that I lose sight of other aspects of my life.

I've had recurring GI issues that have put a huge damper on any kind of mass gain and I was planning on starting prep within a few weeks but trying to prep for a show while my body is recovering would not be the best situation. Subsequently, I have not been able to train hard or heavy for about a month and just this past week I was able to get back into it. I know I lost a great deal of mass (and muscle) but my bodyfat also dropped drastically and my readings over the weekend were hovering around 8.2% +/- .1%

So I was faced with a decision to either do what I can and push through to do a show, in which case I would likely have to push back finishing my masters program, or I could take the year off and get healthy and finish my masters. I had a discussion with my coach, Scott Stevenson, about this and he has been looking after my health as a top priority from day 1. In looking at the scenarios and reflecting on what I want to do, I decided that I should take this year off and just finish grad school then get into bodybuilding again in the new year.

In addition to this I am dealing with a tremendous amount of stress from work and a new supervisor who is completely unreasonable.

So this is where I stand...I am going to take this year off and focus on health but will still be training with the same passion and dedication I have always had, but I will loosen up on the diet and enjoy life, and a have few drinks on the weekend and not worry about the effect it will have on physique. I will be able to finish grad school this winter and then i will be able to re-dedicate myself to bodybuilding.

As far as my training goes, I am going to take a little break from DC and do a program that I made up a while back that is based off of the Titan Training program but incorporates some aspects of DC and Mountain Dog training. I've run the titan training program before and made decent gains but at the time my knowledge of nutrition was lacking and I do not feel I reaped the full benefit. I know that this plan is going to be border line insane, but it is designed around the things I know work for me and styles that I enjoy. I figure you never know until you try and now that I am feeling healthier and can eat, why not? I've been doing this for a little less than a week and so far I am enjoying it. I am getting sore and my muscles look full again.

I appreciate the concern from the incredible members here who have wondered where I have been. I love being part of this community and hope to be able to give back as much as I have taken away. :headbang:

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
I think you are making the right decision Atom and I want to wish you good luck with everything! You have def helped me out in s short period of time..

moparfreak360

Oct 11, 2012
Your a smart man for trying to keep your priorities right. I always have had a lot of respect for you and this adds to it. Regardless of what you decide, you will succeed.....your one of them guys with a no quit mentality....good luck on getting your masters and try to keep your foot out of your bosses glutes

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Best training programs are always ones that you've modified to work for yourself.

Sounds like a good plan. Stress is a killer.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Thanks guys. Yes, the stress has been wicked. My gastro actually said that was the issue leading to all of the stuff I have been experiencing. Stress -> Ulcers -> Acid buildup -> bacterial infection (H-Plyori)

Mopar! Glad to see you here brother. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Being that this program is pretty experimental I am going to try to make some posts in Brick's training thread as this moves along and I see how things are playing out. I don't think I am going to need to do much cardio to stay lean with this set-up and I am following a timed carb diet. Intra-workout I am using pepto-pro with a little WPI cold filtration (masks the bitter taste of pepto-pro) and extra leucine and BCAAs. The only carbs I am consuming are post-workout (not including carbs from avocados or fibrous veggies).

I tend to do well on this type of diet and as long as my fats are high enough I usually stay pretty full and look good. My diet sort of resembles a mountain dog style diet with all of the healthy fats.

This should be a fun experiment.

BigBob

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 10, 2012
It is good sometimes to step back and evaluate. It looks like you have a good plan. Hoping you feel better and reach your goals brotha.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
Get better soon brother. I am sure this was a terribly hard decision to make as I can see how passionate you are about the sport, but I too think you are making a tough but wise decision and thinking about the long haul which many are too short-sighted to consider. I'm hoping everything gets sorted out and you're killing it soon.
G.

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
Making school a priority is the right decision. Best of luck to you! Get that Masters Degree, take your supervisor's job and then fire the prick. lol

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Nice job, you're doing the right thing. In the grand scheme of things bodybuilding is very small.

Reading Mentzers last book right now that was published after his death. Its a good read full of philosophy and bb. I think it pertains to your situation

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
It is good sometimes to step back and evaluate. It looks like you have a good plan. Hoping you feel better and reach your goals brotha.

Yeah man, I have been putting way too much on my plate and I just need to focus on the things that are at the forefront and are going to pay the bills.

Get better soon brother. I am sure this was a terribly hard decision to make as I can see how passionate you are about the sport, but I too think you are making a tough but wise decision and thinking about the long haul which many are too short-sighted to consider. I'm hoping everything gets sorted out and you're killing it soon.
G.

Grim, I'm finally starting to feel better. I'm holding food down again and my energy level is back to normal. I even have an appetite!

Making school a priority is the right decision. Best of luck to you! Get that Masters Degree, take your supervisor's job and then fire the prick. lol

Nah, I'll get my masters then leave lol. They are paying for it haha. I already told them, move me or I'm giving you my two weeks. Yeah, they are moving me lol

Nice job, you're doing the right thing. In the grand scheme of things bodybuilding is very small.

Reading Mentzers last book right now that was published after his death. Its a good read full of philosophy and bb. I think it pertains to your situation

Amen! I know you've been through some ups and downs too. I'm looking at it like this, I will still be able to train like I always have and will be able to add some size being that I'm not dieting down and then when I do get back on stage I'll be in a better stop with more developed musculature.

Thanks for the support guys. It really does mean something to me.

BIG D

AnaSCI VET
Apr 23, 2013
bbing will always be there. that masters is far more important than winning a local bbing show, and will open more doors for you if i had to guess ;). best of luck bro, smart choice

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
bbing will always be there. that masters is far more important than winning a local bbing show, and will open more doors for you if i had to guess ;). best of luck bro, smart choice

I appreciate it Big D. I mean I'll still be and always will be a bodybuilder...but not dieting down I'll be able to be bigger and better and experiment with some new things training wise.

BIG D

AnaSCI VET
Apr 23, 2013
I appreciate it Big D. I mean I'll still be and always will be a bodybuilder...but not dieting down I'll be able to be bigger and better and experiment with some new things training wise.

No problem. Yea no doubt with the experimenting, I'm sure it'll be a nice change of pace for you

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
Don't feel bad, I took about a 10 year break. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but it prob turned out for the best career wise.