©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

About Oil

legalracing

Apr 26, 2011
They both have their benefices. Flax is good for the ration of Omega 6's and 3's. Olive Oil is a good source of mono unsaturated fat. But I'd choose the flax oil

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
Flax covers many bases but I am not a huge fan. I completely recommend it in small servings though... many benefits.

Although you should know as it takes up space in your small intestine, it can block the absorption of certain medications. Flaxseed also increases the intensity of blood thinners and blood sugar medicines. It is mainly made up of ALA. This to be is not very useful especially when you look at the levels of EPA and DHA in fish oil. Flax contains tiny quantities of both those fatty acids. They have been proven to be responsible for amost all of the omega 3 health benefits. ALA has to converted in the digestive system to EPA and DHA and that conversion is less than 1%.

Flax can make cholesterol-lowering medication more effective... I guess that is a benefit in some ways (depends on low you want it).

I would just get fish oil or neptune krill oil if money isn't an object.

For cooking I would use coconut oil.

For dressings I would use olive oil.

Out of the two you mention abit of both... but olive is a fav of mine. I use alot of olive oil.

rennybig

May 9, 2011
Use a mix of both, flax in protein shakes and cooking with olive oil.

The benefits of both oils go far behind body-building.

I agree. but though, if you fry with the olive oil it is bad for you because it changes the properties after frying. But is a good thing to pour over your food.

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
I agree. but though, if you fry with the olive oil it is bad for you because it changes the properties after frying. But is a good thing to pour over your food.

Yes... Olive oil is very heat sensitive. I do cook with it. But to get it's full benefits it's best used drizzled over food. I love my peppered chicken with brown pasta drizzled in olive oil :)

Coconut oil is excellent to cook with.

mzack

May 23, 2010

Yes, the properties of Olive oil change with heating..

lisapeet

Sep 17, 2010
Hi dvda ! As was said above.. be careful with cooking at high temp though, It is said that the olive oil converts into an un-wanted fat at high temperatures.

deniss77

May 9, 2011
Yes, I know the same thing, all frying fat turn into unwanted fats when cooking. But the safest oil to fly in is olive oil imo. The best fat to fly in is regular butter it's very sturdy against heat