©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Ampule openers

NeverBigEnuff

Nov 12, 2005
I've read a s**t load of articles on how to open glass ampules, I have disposable openers, and recently bought a couple of reuseable ones. Problem is I can't seem to get any consistency with opening them. Sometimes np, and other times, I'll bust a couple in a row, and you know what follows of course...
@$!!%* etc. Does anybody have some suggestions on getting the little buggers opened without ending up with a hand full of glass and oil??

NeverBigEnuff

Nov 12, 2005
Using file

Well, yeah sort of. I've tried scoring them with a pen knife...but all the way around. It's no doubt some problem with my technique. Don't ya think a cork in the top of 1ml ampules would be a good idea?? Or maybe a pull tab like a can of soda. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe a bit more patience and I'll get my success ratio up a bit. :)

kell11

AnaSCI VET
Mar 1, 2005
On My Boat in Texas
NeverBigEnuff said:
Well, yeah sort of. I've tried scoring them with a pen knife...but all the way around. It's no doubt some problem with my technique. Don't ya think a cork in the top of 1ml ampules would be a good idea?? Or maybe a pull tab like a can of soda. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe a bit more patience and I'll get my success ratio up a bit. :)

Fingernail file goobie newbie.
Score just one little spot on the neck and apply pressure to snap off from the other side...
I dont want to condescend,but didn't you take a little science in Jr. High?

gpearl383

Jun 16, 2005
I just take a paper towel, cut it in half and fold it up into 2 small rectangular pieces(usally enough to wrap it around the amp twice). Wrap it around the bottom and top of the amp and just snap it. Never used any kind of file or opener and never had a problem.

kell11

AnaSCI VET
Mar 1, 2005
On My Boat in Texas
gpearl383 said:
I just take a paper towel, cut it in half and fold it up into 2 small rectangular pieces(usally enough to wrap it around the amp twice). Wrap it around the bottom and top of the amp and just snap it. Never used any kind of file or opener and never had a problem.
on most amps you dont need to score and your doing it exactly right w/a ply of tissue or paper towel...whatever.
However some amps,such as the galenika TestE amps,thay wont break without being scored.Try it and you'l probably cut your hands up nicely.

NeverBigEnuff

Nov 12, 2005
Hey Thanks folks for all the good tips. I'll give em a try. Junior High?? LOL. That was sooooooo long ago Kell11. Thanks again all!

Macstanton

Nov 21, 2005
they actually make amp breakers. i bought one. they're only about $10 and it works perfectly everytime.

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
I have a small metal cutting hand saw that I use to score my amps. Its a little too big for the job but it does the job. I didn't want to buy a spcialized tool just for opening amps.