©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Better than steroids ???

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
So I listened to a Rich Roll podcast titled "better than steroids"

Had a researcher saying basically said that heat is what causes muscle fatigue...and by doing strategic cooling you can drastically improve muscle ability by preventing "shits too hot!" enzymes from being released, keeping the muscle gtg...

they took a guy who would do around 100 pull ups at the gym...they brought the pull up bar to the lab and started cooling him between sets...within a couple months the guy was up to 600 and something pull ups....

says these cooling gloves are gonna be all the rage in performance enhancement....

bunch of other very interesting stuff, was listening during a run so I missed a lot, need to listen to it again....but...thought some of you guys will dig it...that is all

sorry for no links....if you have an iPhone just search for rich roll, it's a recent podcast

Last edited:

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I read the research around 6 months ago...they suggested holding ice cubes in your hands between sets.

So far the one big issue I have is if all this is true, why are we just catching onto this now. I mean during the cold war the soviets and others were doing all sorts of shit to improve performance and no one in the past 60 years had the insane idea of cooling their athletes? I mean testing athletes in an a/c environment has never been thought of? And then if a little was good then more would be better.

Just can't buy this is an original idea and if it is why wouldn't you keep it a secret for your countries athletes?

Dunno?

Hawk

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I have no idea why cooling the muscle would help with cellular respiration. Please post a link or send me some where I can do some reading. I'm not doubting you or discrediting anything, I just might be viewing this the wrong way. I'm always open for new ideas. Like cold/hot contrast showers after heavy powerlifing sessions works.

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
Could be wrong here, but idt they are saying 100 pullups continuosly...

they took a guy who would do around 100 pull ups at the gym...they brought the pull up bar to the lab and started cooling him between sets...within a couple months the guy was up to 600 and something pull ups....

Im reading it as doing them as like sets of 10, then maybe afterwards the guy did a bunch of sets of say 20? Either way it's a little far fetched imo...that just cooling your body off is going to increase your performance by a whopping %600. I'd believe something like doubling it, not 6x your normal performance. I also have to agree with hawk. You sure would think something like this would have been discovered years ago

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
Cooling the skin causes blood vessels to constrict, restricting oxygen and nutrient flow to the muscles. I'm no expert here, but it seems to me this is directly contradicts everything we know about how L-Arginine, general vasodilators, NO, and taladafil help during a workout.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I did some reading last night, but much of the info out there is offered by businesses that offer cryogenic services. There did seam to be some validity to cooling between sets with the most interesting being the cryo glove from Stanford U. The same could be accomplished by soaking hands or neck in ice water.

However, all that is to improve recovery between sets, which makes sense. Now, in my mind that is not anabolism. ..it's one thing to do endless sets, but it's another to build muscle from all those sets. Inflammation is necessary for recovery which why the old RICE recommendation is old hat. So, if one spent 8 hrs cooling, that is 8 hrs not healing. Kelly Starrett has some stuff on it.

So, I do see benefits, but they may be over hyped.

Hawk