©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

cardio while bulking???

build420

Jul 26, 2017
currently on test e 12 week cycle at 500mg/wk
i do 6 days of cardio for about 45-60min...is this too much for bulking?
thanks!!!

TeknoViking

Donating Member
Feb 1, 2013
I feel like that is too much. Are you afraid of getting fat? Drop down to 4-5 days a week 30 mins at a time? I feel like 6 days a week 45-60 minutes at a time of cardio is counter productive while trying to bulk.

When you are trying to grow getting enough rest is extremely important. What do you estimate your body fat is?

slide

AnaSCI VIP
Oct 26, 2012
If you're doing this now, how is it working out for you? Seems a bit much cardio (for/to me), but if it's working...I mean, I didn't do that much cardio for last show...so...

But, I agree with TeknoViking and personally would start it at 30mins a day...as Dante used to say, if you're going to sit in a chair and watch ESPN or whatever, might as well do that doing cardio. So, that's kind of how I approach it (I paraphrased what he said, but that has always stuck in my head and is something I tell people all the time).

-s

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
currently on test e 12 week cycle at 500mg/wk
i do 6 days of cardio for about 45-60min...is this too much for bulking?
thanks!!!

I never really understood what "too much cardio for bulking" meant, exactly.

Cardio isn't something that we should only do when we want to lose fat and get lean for a show. It's something you do to contribute to your general health and wellbeing. Or maybe to keep from putting on that fat in the first place.

As with many things in life, sometimes what we do isn't as important as how we do it. HIIT cardio has been demonstrated in so many studies to be superior to LISS cardi, both for fat loss and for improving cardiovascular endurance and health. Would you better off doing 10 minutes worth of sprints rather than walking on the treadmill for a hour? Most definitely. Are you "killing your gains" by doing too much cardio? No. That's just more broscience bullshit.

mytreefiddy

IFBB Pro / Donating Member
Jan 1, 2013

Cardio isn't something that we should only do when we want to lose fat and get lean for a show. It's something you do to contribute to your general health and wellbeing. Or maybe to keep from putting on that fat in the first place.

As with many things in life, sometimes what we do isn't as important as how we do it. HIIT cardio has been demonstrated in so many studies to be superior to LISS cardi, both for fat loss and for improving cardiovascular endurance and health. Would you better off doing 10 minutes worth of sprints rather than walking on the treadmill for a hour? Most definitely. Are you "killing your gains" by doing too much cardio? No. That's just more broscience bullshit.

I agree in regards to doing cardio has multiple benefits..... However, IN MY CASE in the off season I turn cardio WAYYYYY down... I've been a stick my whole life...gaining has always been a chore until recently... I feel it really depends on the person....if the objective is to retain calories why burn em? i'll do 3x a week MAYBE in the offseason for heart health... but if the scale isn't moving how id like i'll back it down OR increase calories.....

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I agree in regards to doing cardio has multiple benefits..... However, IN MY CASE in the off season I turn cardio WAYYYYY down... I've been a stick my whole life...gaining has always been a chore until recently... I feel it really depends on the person....if the objective is to retain calories why burn em? i'll do 3x a week MAYBE in the offseason for heart health... but if the scale isn't moving how id like i'll back it down OR increase calories.....

I definitely agree, there is some individuality. And I know nothing about competition, so I don't speak about anything in that context.

I've seen too many guys cut out cardio completely during a bulking cycle just so they can "get the most gains" on their cycle. But what they're really doing is just getting fat. These guys that brag about putting on 40 and 50 pounds during a cycle aren't building anywhere as much muscle as they think they are. At most they're putting on 10 pounds of lean muscle, the rest is just fat. That is completely counterproductive, but we've all seen it happen more times than we can count.

For the average gym rat and AAS user, I would never recommend dropping their cardio. Like you said, you could always increase the calories, too. Food is cheap, and cardio is free.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Yeah just cut some time off and up the intensity, conditioning work...

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
If your just a gym rat like me leave the cardio in just up calories....my higher dose runs before this one I hit cardio almost every session and I felt healthy all around despite the doses.....this run I've almost eliminated it and I don't feel even close to as healthy as the other runs ....Im mentally drained and can't wait for the run to be done...breathing is not terrible but definitely worse and energy levels are lower. ...I won't sacrifice health for a few extra pounds again it just defeats the purpose.

montego

Feb 19, 2018
I haven't done cardio in two years..... Put on about 30lbs of lean tissue in those two years.

I don't see any benefit from it while bulking besides an increase in appetite, if you need it or, heart health but, if you train your ass off that's a fair amount of conditioning for the heart too.

Aton

Mar 17, 2018
I do 2-3 days a week of cardio for 20-30 min. When I cut the time between sets I cut back on the cardio. Because I’m getting enough conditioning during my training.

Maybe try to ease back on it some while bulking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rippedfreak123

May 4, 2016
i think dependant on your calories and how clean your eating can dictate your cardio amount. If dirty eating is involved i don't think it hurts to burn some of those calories

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
This is very individual. If someone is still gaining on a lot of cardio there is no issue. For most that would be too much cardio. I lower cardio a lot when bulking and mainly use it for health reasons.

BG

Nov 17, 2013

Doing an hr or close to an hour of cardio almost every day is... TOO much cardio if you are trying to gain. Growth phase is about taking in more calories than your body needs. If you're burning up those calories you can't grow.
Also, the load its putting on your body to recover from an hr of cardio AND weight training is going to be too much for almost everyone.. almost. Take enough GH or test and you can prove me wrong easily

armada

Mar 5, 2017
That is a lot of cardio. My question would be, when it's time for you to cut, do you ramp up the cardio? Because then you'd be looking at over 60 minutes of vardio 6 days per week right at the start of your cut.

I do like to do cardio while gaining weight, but I only do 2 or 3 "structured" cardio sessions per week. The rest is going on walks outside, etc.

My training sessions also work my cardio vascular system to some extent, as I'm doing things like muscle rounds, relatively short rest periods, etc.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
Personally that is way too much for me. Cardio when bulking is great for health and to increase metabolism and appetite. But 45-60 mins is closer to what I would be doing in 1 week total and not 1 day! 15 mins HIT 4 times per week sounds about right. If I were to do steady state I would rotate the two and maybe do 30 mins tops per day.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I need to do more cardio and often go without it when bulking. If I done as much as you it would definitely impact the amount of mass I could put on. I think 15-45 mins a few times each week is a good amount for most people.