©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Chest Flyes???

Fitraver

Aug 12, 2017
How long does it take you to finish?

How many sets for the other body parts?

Just curious.

-MT

Well this was just a chest day. So there were no other body parts. My workouts usually take about 75-90 minutes. My other days with multiple body parts have more sets tho.

Mini Truck

NPC Judge
Nov 19, 2011
Earth, for now
Fit,

Total respect, first and foremost.

But IMO you might talk to your coach bc that's way too many sets
and way too much rest in between those sets.

Unless you're doing 30+ minutes of cardio PWO?

Or maybe you're just doing this for a short window of time for
some "shock" reasons?

Even if you're making gains and progress, I think you could be more productive and make even better gains with much less.

Just my 2 cents ;).

-MT

Well this was just a chest day. So there were no other body parts. My workouts usually take about 75-90 minutes. My other days with multiple body parts have more sets tho.

Fitraver

Aug 12, 2017
Fit,

Total respect, first and foremost.

But IMO you might talk to your coach bc that's way too many sets

and way too much rest in between those sets.

Unless you're doing 30+ minutes of cardio PWO?

Or maybe you're just doing this for a short window of time for

some "shock" reasons?

Even if you're making gains and progress, I think you could be more productive and make even better gains with much less.

Just my 2 cents ;).

-MT

I certainly appreciate the input brother. There will always be things where people disagree on. Shit, I was used to doing this all by myself for a long one so completely giving in to following my coaches routine/nutrition has even been hard for me. I will say, I told myself I would follow him and see what it did for me and I have seen great results so far. He switches my plans every 6 weeks tho (I used to do 4 myself but he likes 6). So the styles are always changing. And I actually rest pretty minimal between sets. 60 seconds at most usually less. I make sure to keep my workouts intensity up.

He coaches a lot of competitors and they are always looking on point. From what I've seen they've brought home a lot of solid results too. I think he wants me to compete but I haven't 100% given him word yet if I will. We will see how this bulk treats me. Goal is 220-225 then cut to a solid 200.

I think one of the beautiful Hingis about this sport is how many different styles there are and how they can all produce results. What style of training is your favorite or that you like to use?

Mini Truck

NPC Judge
Nov 19, 2011
Earth, for now
Fit,

As I've gotten older, I've had to adapt.
I'm done slagging big weights.

I'm a big believer in BANDED movements and
Rest Pause work (MT style, not DC).

I train in the wee hours of the morning, fasted, after 20 minutes
of cardio.

Workouts generally take 30-40 mins, rests are 30ish seconds.

I have a leg workout that Tenny gave me to try.
And I've shared this with some clients.

They can't walk :action-smiley-064:!

Total time 25 minutes...............you'll die!

-MT

I certainly appreciate the input brother. There will always be things where people disagree on. Shit, I was used to doing this all by myself for a long one so completely giving in to following my coaches routine/nutrition has even been hard for me. I will say, I told myself I would follow him and see what it did for me and I have seen great results so far. He switches my plans every 6 weeks tho (I used to do 4 myself but he likes 6). So the styles are always changing. And I actually rest pretty minimal between sets. 60 seconds at most usually less. I make sure to keep my workouts intensity up.

He coaches a lot of competitors and they are always looking on point. From what I've seen they've brought home a lot of solid results too. I think he wants me to compete but I haven't 100% given him word yet if I will. We will see how this bulk treats me. Goal is 220-225 then cut to a solid 200.

I think one of the beautiful Hingis about this sport is how many different styles there are and how they can all produce results. What style of training is your favorite or that you like to use?

Fitraver

Aug 12, 2017
Fit,

As I've gotten older, I've had to adapt.
I'm done slagging big weights.

I'm a big believer in BANDED movements and
Rest Pause work (MT style, not DC).

I train in the wee hours of the morning, fasted, after 20 minutes
of cardio.

Workouts generally take 30-40 mins, rests are 30ish seconds.

I have a leg workout that Tenny gave me to try.
And I've shared this with some clients.

They can't walk :action-smiley-064:!

Total time 25 minutes...............you'll die!

-MT

I've never done any kind of banded training. I'll put in some google research on that and look some up!

RamboStallone

Jul 2, 2017
30 sets? I did 20 sets last night and that was for chest, delts, and triceps.

4 sets of incline bench
4 sets pec deck flies
4 sets reverse pec deck
4 sets lateral raises
4 sets tricep pushdowns

8-12 reps per set. As heavy as I can go in those rep ranges. My strength is actually down since I lost some weight now. I'm at 189lbs this morning.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Flys are a must for me to bench heavy.

Some times as a main lift i would train or i use to for a building exercise, or a finisher too.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
It's the only exercise that isolates the pecs. Love them or hate them your going to do them if you want to optimize growth in your pecs.

CG

Pheedno

Jan 17, 2017
After a severe AC joint injury years back and progressive rotator and shoulder joint beat downs over the years, flys are invaluable to me. With the right elbow angle I can get decent weight for excellent range of motion without stressing the "usual suspects"

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
DB flyes on the floor are good. The rom is less but you can use more weight and they feel great. I rotate them with standard db flyes on a bench. If your gym has a good pec deck or cable machine you can add them in as well. 4 sets of db flyes, 4 sec of decline presses, 4 sets of pec deck, and 4 sets of chest dips.

8uckwh34t

Dec 3, 2014
DB flyes with a partner offering resistance at the top 1/3 of the movement so there's no let-off at the top...maintaining TUT throughout the whole set and range of motion. Get a deep (comfortable) stretch at the bottom before initiating each rep. Great finisher for me and then do a DC style weighted stretch with a lighter weight like 12.5kg DBs straight away. Hold that stretch and relax deeper and deeper throughout the 60-70 seconds. BOOM! :headbang:

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
I like heavy db flyes on a slight incline. They really open up my chest and are a great exercise before some heavy pressing.

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
Db flyes are great but I don't go very heavy. I also really like cables flyes and pec deck. I always include one every chest day.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
My favourite are flyes with my arms really high to try and hit the upper chest. I do the same for pec deck flyes and have the seat on the lowest setting.

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
I prefer presses but flyes have a place in any chest routine. I like cable flyes on an incline bench.

Durro

Jan 24, 2018
All fly movements are great. Especially if you have a good range of motion. Really stretch the chest. My chest has always grown easily for me but the stretch and contraction is important.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
I have started doing floor flyes and presses recently and like them. My gym has a great chest flye machine as well.