©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Colon probs

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Hi fellas...Apparently ( so is suggested ) i have a colon problem...The more i eat, the more i sh!t, thereby eliminating the chance of getting/keeping protiens etc.. Do any of you maby know of some meds a person can use to fix a bad opperating colon, or is it just one of those things...

tia

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
Sorry to post when I don't have an answer for you, but that is a really interesting problem. It strikes me as strange that just your colon could be responsible for that. Do you mean your entire digestive track too? Because I believe most of the nutrients are already absorbed by the small and large intestines prior to its arrival in the colon. Sometimes I wish I would shit more. I eat salads every day just to be healthy (I don't like them) but still I get constipation every once in a while. Did you self-diagnose this or do you have more info on it from a doctor?

W

wolfyEVH

just because you shit more doesnt mean your body isnt utilizing the nutrients......

mandarb11

Oct 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
I have ulcerative colitus which is an irritable bowel disease of the large intestine causing bloody diareah, cramping, bloating extreme pain etc. Anyways your colon is your large intestine, responsible for absorbing water from your stool, hence why the longer it takes for you to deficate the harder the feces is (constipation). You should go get this checked out as Irritable bowel disease (ulcerative colitus and chrones disease) and irritable bowel syndrom are becoming quite a common occurrance. I have had this disease for years, almost died once I was in the hospital for 3 weeks no food only iv with salen and glucose. I came in weighing a solid 220lbs and left weighing 150lbs looking like a war camp survivor. Your bowel is the first place that stress will manifest itself though, so are you stressed about anything? Also what are the specifics of why you beleive you have a colon problem? Let me know I have spent years living with this disease so anything that I can help you with I will be more than happy to.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Andrew said:
Sorry to post when I don't have an answer for you, but that is a really interesting problem. It strikes me as strange that just your colon could be responsible for that. Do you mean your entire digestive track too? Because I believe most of the nutrients are already absorbed by the small and large intestines prior to its arrival in the colon. Sometimes I wish I would shit more. I eat salads every day just to be healthy (I don't like them) but still I get constipation every once in a while. Did you self-diagnose this or do you have more info on it from a doctor?
The info came from my gym-instructor...They had a guy with the same prob..Thing is, i'm very small build ( although i'm defined quite nice ). It now happens, that even if i try and "force" a sh!tload of food, i hardly pick up weight.....Sometimes i run about 5 times to the toilet...lol

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
mandarb11 said:
I have ulcerative colitus which is an irritable bowel disease of the large intestine causing bloody diareah, cramping, bloating extreme pain etc. Anyways your colon is your large intestine, responsible for absorbing water from your stool, hence why the longer it takes for you to deficate the harder the feces is (constipation). You should go get this checked out as Irritable bowel disease (ulcerative colitus and chrones disease) and irritable bowel syndrom are becoming quite a common occurrance. I have had this disease for years, almost died once I was in the hospital for 3 weeks no food only iv with salen and glucose. I came in weighing a solid 220lbs and left weighing 150lbs looking like a war camp survivor. Your bowel is the first place that stress will manifest itself though, so are you stressed about anything? Also what are the specifics of why you beleive you have a colon problem? Let me know I have spent years living with this disease so anything that I can help you with I will be more than happy to.
Hi....I do get a lot of abdominal pain though :-(.. Also i had a bleeding ulcer about 4mnths ago...also landed up in hospital..) I see u talk about stress....To be honest, i don't have any ( that i know of, unless it's subconciously )

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
wolfyEVH said:
just because you shit more doesnt mean your body isnt utilizing the nutrients......
I agree, but what worries me is, why don't i pick up body weight then??...what happened to the nutrients??

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
Robin Hood said:
The info came from my gym-instructor...They had a guy with the same prob..Thing is, i'm very small build ( although i'm defined quite nice ). It now happens, that even if i try and "force" a sh!tload of food, i hardly pick up weight.....Sometimes i run about 5 times to the toilet...lol

Its hard for me to relate because I have the opposite problem of putting on too much fat and I have to fight to put the fork down when I feel full. My idea of a good time is eating until my stomach hurts and then having a little more.

However, I have a good friend with your problem. He was always so skinny in high school and college--just couldn't gain and he didn't like to overeat. I think when he got older he just learned to eat more and maybe his lifts got more intense too. Anyway he put on 40 lbs and has a new body today. I suggest you keep trying to eat as much as you can. Since you're thin you have the luxury of eating some junk food too if you want. Sweets and refined carbs may stimulate your appetite.

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
No Stress?

Robin Hood said:
Hi....I do get a lot of abdominal pain though :-(.. Also i had a bleeding ulcer about 4mnths ago...also landed up in hospital..) I see u talk about stress....To be honest, i don't have any ( that i know of, unless it's subconciously )

You have no stress but you had a bleeding ulcer and you have a lot of abdominal pain. It sounds like you have stress. Your stomach was and perhaps is producing too much acid for some reason. Are you taking antacids? You know protein digestion increases acid levels. You might want to drink alkaline water to counter it and avoid vinegar, coffee, and colas which have a lot of acid.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Andrew said:
You have no stress but you had a bleeding ulcer and you have a lot of abdominal pain. It sounds like you have stress. Your stomach was and perhaps is producing too much acid for some reason. Are you taking antacids? You know protein digestion increases acid levels. You might want to drink alkaline water to counter it and avoid vinegar, coffee, and colas which have a lot of acid.
thanks Andrew...Now that you mentioned it, i DO get a lot of heartburn, and uses bicarbonate to counter the acids....maby i MUST consentrate on the "acid" issue a bit more...thx again for the advise :)

Clint1

Mar 26, 2005
I'm similar in size/weight when not working out and eating like a horse. Gaining weight is hard for me as my metabolism is way fast. In order for me to gain weight i have to drink a couple of weightgainers per day. I can't ingest solid food in sufficent quanties. Last /first cycle i went from 141 to 168 in 2.5 months. Fact is if you eat more you shit more. You may have some underlying health issues, but maybe try some weight gainers, i use Gnc's line and got results. Good luck and best of health. Clint

steve0085

May 4, 2005
FlorEeDuh
When I eat a lot I shit like 6 or 7 times a day. I started taking Fiber supplements as well as adding more fruits and veggies and now I take 2-3 big healthy shits a day. The ulcer, however, sounds like a problem. Do you take a lot of OTC pain medication?(asprin and advil are the worst for your stomach) Do you drink alcohol frequently? Also, you can go to GNC or whatever and go get some digestive supplements(I highly reccomend a fiber supplement) or some colon support supps.

dr woo

Jan 6, 2005
You've had some poor luck with health problems this year,
sorry to hear that.
Better luck for the new year M8.
Woo.

NinjaWizard

Nov 26, 2005
Kingdom of Canuckia
Only 15% of food is absorbed guess where the other 85% goes?
So yes if you eat more you will shit more.
I wouldn't recommend eating more fibers since you are not constipated. Cellulose isn't absorbed by your body so it goes right thru you.
Possible idications of digestive problems is a change in consistancy or colour of your feces, if this occurs on a longer period then this COULD indicate a problem

stealthmeister

Sep 9, 2005
Up North
Lots of talk about lots of stool here! Didn't know it was quite so exciting.

A few thoughts Robin Hood:
- if you eat a lot and a lot of fiber (salads, grains, etc), you're gonna shit a lot. Doesn't mean it's not getting absorbed.
- If you're lean, and assuming muscular, you will have a high metabolic rate and go through a lot of calories.

- The small bowel (duodenum, jejunum, ileum) absorbs our nutrients. The colon, as mentioned above is mostly to deal with water in the colon and compact / store things en-route. Thus, small bowel inflammation and diarrhea will be associated with malnutrition, but large bowel inflammation usually produces watery stools, but not much malnutrition.

- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are inflammatory bowel diseases and can onset in early adulthood. Irritable bowel disease can affect lots of people, but doesn't have a specific anatomical, inflammatory problem in the bowel like the others above.

- a "bleeding ulcer" is usually in the distal part of the stomach or 1st part of the duodenum at the stomach outlet. But ulcerations can occur throughout the GI tract and can bleed. If you were older, bleeding in the bowel could indicate a bowel cancer. And yes, bleeding ulcers often DO occur in the absence of significant stress. It is now known to be strongly related to an infection called "H. pylori" (helicobacter), thus treated not only with acid-lowering drugs like losec, pepcid, etc. but also antibiotics and bismuth subsalicylate ("triple therapy"). Do keep in mind that small amounts of blood in the gut really speeds up transit time in the gut and can give diarrhea. If there is much bleeding it is often quite black and smelly (melena). That can be ruled out with a test for blood in the stools. Also, may be worth considering taking losec or similar and maybe having a gastroscopy to rule out another ulcer. Make sure you see your doc about it if you think that's the problem. He / she can also check you're albumin, iron, electrolytes, etc. in your blood to see that protein, minerals, etc are being absorbed into the blood from the GI tract.

- Supplements like creatine, high-concentration electrolyte drinks, etc. can also cause osmotic diarrhea. Their presence holds water with them and takes it out of the bowel instead of getting absorbed. If I use more than half-strength gatorade on long runs or rides I get the shits bad.

- "heartburn" is often used to describe acid reflux back up into the esophagus, giving a burning in the throat or acid in the mouth. That is different from typical gastric / duodenal ulcer pain. DU pain is usually a vague, achy feeling in upper abdomen and often feels like it is 'boring' through to your back. You often will not have acid reflux with this, as they are 2 different mechanisms. Food often makes GU pain worse, but relieves the pain of a DU.