©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Couple questions about secure emails such as securenym

Ricky_blobby

Feb 18, 2015
I'm pretty computer illiterate, and would like to understand these secure emails better.

If using securenym from a company computer, is there ANY way an employer could somehow read the content of an email?

If both sender and recipient use securenym, it is encrypted from both ends supposedly. Does that mean there is no way that anyone can intercept that email without a court order? If not what exactly does that mean, in layman's terms

I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thanks!

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Most large companies have a tech department. That department has access to any computer on their service. This means that at any time they can tap directly into any computer and see exactly what the person is doing on the other end.

They usually only do this if you are having issues with your computer and they need to tap in directly to work through the issue without having to go physically be at your computer but obviously if the company has any suspicious about what you are doing they will keep an eye on your computer logs.

Ricky_blobby

Feb 18, 2015
Let me clarify, it is a company laptop that I use in rural areas for reporting purposes only, which isn't connected to a network 99% of the time. The only time I get online with it is when I'm using someone's wifi such as a hotel.

Of course there are random situations like today where I have to get the tech department to remotely install a printer from the network in one of our satellite offices.

Surely they can't see what's in my securenym inbox, correct? I don't do any browsing on it btw, and I use Tor browser to access my securenym account.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
What they can use is keystroke tracker but that is generally highly unlikely

In your case, just don't save anything to the computer and erase anything that can be traced back to you

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
If it's a company laptop, ie one that they own and provide for you, then they have the right to monitor any and everything that happens on that device whether or not it's connected to their network. It's possible, but not probable, that they could have spyware or monitoring software installed on that machine.

Just for the sake of safety and privacy, I would not use a company device to ever conduct business that you wouldn't want anyone else to know about, including reading forums.

Ricky_blobby

Feb 18, 2015
How about using securenym from a smartphone?

Or would buying a laptop cash from a pawn shop be a better option?

Last edited: