©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

~DEA stages surprise NFL Inspections~

WesleyInman

Jul 28, 2013
Thoughts??

DEA Stages Surprise NFL Inspections

ESPN reporter John Barr discusses the DEA's decision to conduct surprise inspections Sunday, targeting the medical and training staffs of visiting NFL teams, the NFL's reaction and why he thinks this is happening.

DEA Stages Surprise NFL Inspections WASHINGTON -- In an unprecedented step, agents from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration conducted surprise inspections Sunday, targeting the medical and training staffs of visiting NFL teams, in an effort to determine whether they violated federal drug laws governing the handling and distribution of prescription painkillers, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

A federal law enforcement official, with knowledge of the investigation, told "Outside the Lines" the inspections were motivated by allegations raised in a May 2014 federal lawsuit, filed on behalf of several prominent NFL players, who allege team physicians and trainers routinely gave them painkillers in an illegal manner to mask injuries and keep them on the field.

Painkiller MIsuse By Retired NFL Players

In January 2011, ESPN reported on the first-ever study of painkiller misuse by retired NFL players. That study, funded in part by ESPN and with a grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, was published in the peer-reviewed scientific journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

Among the key findings:
• Retired NFL players misuse opioid pain medications at a rate more than four times that of the general population.
• 52 percent of the retired players said they used prescription pain medication during their playing days.
• Of those who took the drugs while playing, 71 percent said they misused the drugs then, and 15 percent of the misusers acknowledged misusing the medications within the past 30 days. -- John Barr

"DEA agents are currently interviewing NFL team doctors in several locations as part of an ongoing investigation into potential violations of the Controlled Substances Act," DEA spokesperson Rusty Payne said Sunday.
"The Drug Enforcement Administration has a responsibility under the Controlled Substances Act to ensure that registrants who possess, prescribe and dispense controlled substances are following the law," Payne added.
A federal law enforcement source said agents were particularly interested in questioning the medical staffs of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the San Francisco 49ers. Tampa Bay played a road game against Washington on Sunday and San Francisco visited the New York Giants.

"What we were told was they are random checks of team physicians as they travel to see if anyone is transporting controlled substances across state lines," 49ers spokesman Bob Lange said after Sunday's game. "The 49ers medical staff complied and the team departed the stadium as scheduled."

The source said DEA agents also have plans to interview visiting team doctors in other NFL cities Sunday, but declined to provide a specific number.

"I think it's great that the DEA is taking this seriously. We alleged back on May 20th that the NFL was issuing these controlled substances and prescription medicines in an illegal manner and nobody has really disputed the factual basis of that claim," said Phil Closius, an attorney representing the former NFL players involved in the ongoing federal lawsuit.

Sunday's inspections were administrative in nature, Payne said. They were not conducted with search warrants and no arrests were expected to be made.

As "Outside the Lines" first reported in January 2011, the DEA has taken steps in the past to inform NFL team doctors what treatments they can and cannot provide to players, particularly when they travel for road games.
Under the federal Controlled Substances Act, doctors cannot give players prescription drugs like Vicodin, Percocet and OxyContin, outside of the facilities where they are registered with the DEA to prescribe those controlled substances and trainers are not permitted under the federal drug laws to ever provide prescription medications to players.

But according to a federal law enforcement source with knowledge of Sunday's inspections, the DEA has reason to believe those laws are frequently violated, particularly by visiting NFL teams.

"NFL doctors are not obtaining a separate registration where they are administering controlled substances to NFL players. They are administering in different states and treating players at hotels and stadiums outside of their registered location with the DEA," the source said.

The DEA also has reason to believe visiting team physicians may not be keeping "readily retrievable documents," that spell out which prescription drugs are administered and to whom, the federal law enforcement source said.
"Our intelligence suggests controlled substances are not properly logged to specific players," the source added.
DEA agents planned Sunday to inspect the medical bags of visiting team doctors for prescription drugs while alongside Transportation Safety Administration screeners.

"If doctors don't get players back on the field, you think they're going to continue to be the team doctor?" Closius said, when asked about the NFL culture that routinely demands players play with pain.

"Everybody is subservient to this return-to-play culture -- doctors, general managers, coaches, everybody. And that return-to-play culture is responsible for this illegal distribution on drugs," Closius added.

The federal lawsuit, filed in the northern district of California, includes 10 named plaintiffs, including members of the celebrated 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl team, Jim McMahon, Richard Dent and Keith Van Horne, but could grow to include more than 1300 former players if the court eventually certifies the case as a class action, Closius said.

A federal judge said last week that he wants to hear from the players' union before ruling on a recent NFL motion to dismiss the case. The NFL Players Association is expected to file its response to the court on Wednesday.
Payne, the DEA spokesperson, declined to speculate on any future actions by the federal agency.

video here:
ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Funny how all of these former players squandered all of their money now they are trying to do everything they can to burn the NFL...Would have been funny to see most of these guys work full time labor jobs, shit they would probably still be working and have nothing to show for it.....

Bet you not a single one of them complained about taking the meds during their careers...Most probably begged their staff doctors for them.....

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Funny how all of these former players squandered all of their money now they are trying to do everything they can to burn the NFL...

I think it's bitterness of the amount of money in the game and the fact their pensions and benefits are low. I'm just saying that off of some surface reading, and don't know the facts, but I believe it is just a bitterness of the wealth.

They still would have did anything to get out on the field. It's a rock star life and they made very nice salaries equivalent to the working world even back in the 70's. Not the mega millions of today, but still were well off. Same as in baseball. Not the life altering contracts of today, but those guys lived high on the hog and you know they never paid for cars, meals at restaurants etc in their hometown because of their celebrity.

I do think the NFLPA should give them more benefits, as the surgery of their day has left then more crippled than today's vets. Pain meds are pain meds, cortisone injections are cortisone injections. Those have always been in the game and will continue to do so. You can't function in that sport without it.

I 'obviously' love the old players from the 70's. But they have to live with the fact that it's a billionaires game now, time have changed. But they 'should' be taken care of medically at no expense to them by the NFLPA for the rest of their lives. The sport destroyed them and they should have the best health career as long as they're with us.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
I hope they kept their fucking mouths shut and told them to go get a warrant. There is still a remnant of a 4th amendment left....

I'm guessing they had warrants in hand or on a moments notice 'if' the teams pressed them and they needed them. But obviously for PR reasons the teams want to cooperate.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I'm guessing they had warrants in hand or on a moments notice 'if' the teams pressed them and they needed them. But obviously for PR reasons the teams want to cooperate.

No, they didn't. And just like the cop who pulls you over and asks to look in the trunk or starts asking you questions, there are only TWO things you say:

"I do NOT consent to a search."

"Am I being detained or am I free to go."

PERIOD FUCKING PERIOD.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
No, they didn't. And just like the cop who pulls you over and asks to look in the trunk or starts asking you questions, there are only TWO things you say:

"I do NOT consent to a search."

"Am I being detained or am I free to go."

PERIOD FUCKING PERIOD.

Apples and oranges. The DEA could've and would've had a warrant on site within the hour, if they did not already have one on hand (which I'm sure they did).

Besides, PR wise the team has no choice but to cooperate.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006

I agree, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar a year industry...They are not going to the Feds any reason or cause to push the issue any further then they already want/have to!

Public relations would be a nightmare for any team that did allow them to come in and look through whatever they wanted...The media would have a field day on what the teams were "trying" to hide by refusing to cooperate!

A corporation (such as the NFL) is really not privy to the same 4th amendment rights that your typical motorist would be...Of course they could do as Milburn stated but that would lead to the above and with the NFL already all over the media with all these domestic abuse cases popping up they are not going to do anything at all to end up further into a bad light with the public...The safest bet is to let them in, let them see their records (as most of them probably don't keep on file the amount of drugs these guys were being given), and send them on their way.....

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I'm guessing they had warrants in hand or on a moments notice 'if' the teams pressed them and they needed them.

No. From the article:

"Sunday's inspections were administrative in nature, Payne said. They were not conducted with search warrants and no arrests were expected to be made."

Further, warrants can not be issued for 'general fishing' expeditions; they can only be issued for PROBABLE CAUSE* for *SPECIFIC ITEMS* in *SPECIFIC PLACES* and against *SPECIFIC PERSONS* - not, "we're gonna see if we find anything among this group."

You guys need to read your Rick Collins newsletters....and ALL Americans need to stop rolling over for The State. You have Rights....use them for chrissakes.

For all the PR arguments, the stadiums are still filled to capacity and media viewership is up, in spite of all the girlfriend-and-wife bashing incidents. Bottom line is, the people who spend the cash DON'T CARE. Only pearl-clutching politicians and social crusaders care. Fuck 'em.

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
It just states that they were "done without warrants". If the teams didn't cooperate (which they knew they would PR wise), I'm sure they would have been served warrants, no question. If they didn't have p/c for a warrant, they wouldn't be there conducting "administrative inspections" in the first place.

If they (the NFL) don't care about pain med PR, why do they care about women getting slapped around? Women get slapped around by employees of every big business in America, so why does the NFL care?

Public perception. Whether they need it or not, brother.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Apples and oranges. The DEA could've and would've had a warrant on site within the hour, if they did not already have one on hand (which I'm sure they did).

Besides, PR wise the team has no choice but to cooperate.

You can't get a warrant to search a body of people that easily- getting a warrant to search one specific person maybe, but based on testimony that has nothing to do with any one specifically- you'd be hard pressed.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
You can't get a warrant to search a body of people that easily- getting a warrant to search one specific person maybe, but based on testimony that has nothing to do with any one specifically- you'd be hard pressed.

I'm sure they had a warrant for specific product search (many products), and I'm sure those products were on hand at the team facility. A warrant can be written to include any specific item in any specific place. I'm sure warrants for a complete search of the team facilities for the prescription meds they were looking for was ready to be served.

They were prepared and the teams had to cooperate.

Local yokels would be hard pressed, the DEA does what they want.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I'm sure they had a warrant for specific product search (many products), and I'm sure those products were on hand at the team facility. A warrant can be written to include any specific item in any specific place. I'm sure warrants for a complete search of the team facilities for the prescription meds they were looking for was ready to be served.

They were prepared and the teams had to cooperate.

Local yokels would be hard pressed, the DEA does what they want.

I'm simply going to respectfully disagree. They did not have warrants. Warrants were not imminent. Even if obtained, they can not be against a group of people. If anything, this was a fishing expedition, designed to obtain the type of probable cause they needed in order to get warrants later.

This is no different than a cop pulling you over, requesting you to roll down your window, or pop your trunk, or ask you where you're going - and then threatening arrest, or a warrant, or a hard time if you dont comply.

It's Unconstitutional. It's a Lie. And you need to stick to your guns.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
You may be right, MC. Who knows, but if I was a betting man...

Just keep in mind there is always a consequence to not cooperating. The DEA obviously has the NFL public relations machine at it's mercy. Don't do what we want and we will destroy you in the media.
On the local level, don't cooperate with the search and you can guarantee the cop is coming back with a handful of tickets for whatever reason(s) he pulled you over for in the 1st place.

It's all a trade off. Nothing to hide, better to cooperate. If you have something to hide, best to hide it, but have to understand you're going to feel the pain so to speak. One way or another. Local or Fed level. If there's nothing in my car, they can search it. If I don't want them in it, I will keep them out, but I know I'm leaving with some paperwork that's going to cost me $$$.

PRIDE

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Apr 2, 2009
I think it's a moot argument. You are not going to find any professional sports team that is not going to cooperate with the government. Whether they have the right to or not doesn't really apply.