©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Diet and Conditioning???

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
OK, so I'm training balls out 4-5 days a week between training PL and strongman... My paleo type diet is NOT cutting it... Works great for bodybuilding, but not so much when I'm hitting 3-5 rep maxes and a day of strongman event training...

What kind of diets are you guys running? Or have seen run? I need to stay lean too, so I need to throw in more conditioning. How many days a week and what are you doing for conditioning?

I'm thinking a couple days of low impact stuff and a couple days of sled drags, or KB swings or something more HIIT.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
When I'm in full swing I train a sheiko program.

Monday am workout and a pm

tues off

wednesday am and pm

Thursday off

Friday am and pm

Saturday big workout in morning

Sunday off

Diet is all meat and carbs on lifting days. No protein shakes just FOOD!

1. You need carbs and alot of food.

2. Why are you staying so lean? It's not a bad thing, just want to know why do you have to make weight?

3. Diet depends on the person. I need to watch what I eat cause I put muscle on way to easy, but it makes me go up in size which is hard on gear and weight classes.

4. off season diet = F.I diet. I'm putting muscle on with my super set routine before I go back into the temple of power ;p

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Well, heres my predicament if you will...
I am training for 2 things, a strongman comp in feb and a PL meet in april...

The weight class is going to be a big deal in strongman... I'd like to be in the 231 class and I weigh 245 right now. BUT I have kind of accepted that I may be in the 231-265 class. I guess for PL it doesn't really matter, I don't want to have to cut weight for that and lose strength. But I just don't want to get fatter is the main thing.

I've looked into sheiko but I work 12 hour night shift 3-4 nights a week so 2 a days are not happening for me...

What I have been trying to do is a dead day, bench day and squat day during the week, and strongman event training on saturday. I really need a 4th day though for overhead press, unless I train it every saturday. I'd like to spend most saturdays on yoke and stones, tire flips etc, and throw in some log presses every other week maybe

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Hey psych, I'm open to any training splits or ideas that you may have. I can get 3-4 days in monday thru friday. I have to save saturday for strongman stuff though as that is when my buddy opens his place up and everyone does it.

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
i can write you a quick 4 a day...its complicated kinda. Are you familiar with % based training? PL and strong man can go haand in hand but its hard because of recovery.

I'll post it in a few, I have insomnia.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Cool man thanks. Yes I'm familiar with %'s. That's kind of what I'm doing now. Working up to heavy 3 rep maxes and then doing %'s with CAT 65 70 75 80% going up each week

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
it's the recovery thing that is the bitch. I think I can do it though if I keep my calories up. Been banging 20g BCAA's during workouts too. Think I need to add carbs in the workouts though. And I've been eating paleo with 50g carbs or less per day except on weekends, that's going to have to go away too. I'm going to have to go HAM on the rice and potatoes.

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Dude paleo is fuckin stupid....crossfiters don't lift shit and when they do it looks like a retard new born deer trying to walk. I'm crabby sry.

Monday-
Squat 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10. when you get all sets for 10 then go up 20lb
Deadlift 80% of best on thursday 5x10
Leg press 80% of best on thrusday 5x10
Chin ups 80% of best on thursday 5x10
Bar row 80% of best on Thursday 5x10

Tuesday-
Bench 80% of best on friday 5x10
Close 80% of best on friday 5x10
Inc 80% of best on friday 5x10
Bar curl 75% of max 3x10 When you can get all 10 then go up
Push down 75% of max 3x10

Wedneday- off

Thursday-
Squat 80% of best on Monday
Dead 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10. when you get all 10 go up
Leg press 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10.
Leg Extension 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10.
Leg curlin 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10.

Friday-
Bench 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10.
Close 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10.
Inc 75% of 1 rep max for 3 set of 10.
Bar curl 80% of best on tuesday 5x10
Push down 80% of best on tuesday 5x10

Do this for 5 weeks. Then move all the 75% to 85% of the new max you are projecting for 3x5, and the 80% to 5x5. So max squat is 100lb, you will do 3x10 with 75. on thursday you will 75x.8=60 for 5x10. When you get 75 for all 3 sets of ten go up 20. So 95 for 3x10, then on Thursday you will 95x.8=76 for 5x10. No your max is theoretically 126. then if you went up more after first block of 5 weeks at 10 reps you take the theoretical max and times by .85

Eat alot when you do this and focus your shoulder day on Sat with strong man.

You can throw out assistance work and replace with ones that work for you.

Don't be afraid to adapt and change shit.

231-265 sounds that where you gonna be. FYI powerlifting is 220,242,275. Don't go past 255 to be safe.

I'll be up for awhile.

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
it's the recovery thing that is the bitch. I think I can do it though if I keep my calories up. Been banging 20g BCAA's during workouts too. Think I need to add carbs in the workouts though. And I've been eating paleo with 50g carbs or less per day except on weekends, that's going to have to go away too. I'm going to have to go HAM on the rice and potatoes.

EAA are better than BCAA. you can find pure base EAA online from small companies. PM i can give a referral.

Foam roll, contrast showers, and stretch. If need be go get a massage. I'm a huge advocate for deep tissue work. I have a achool near my house where they train the PT people and what not. I can go in and have a student do it for $20/hr and its like 2 hrs! They need clinical hours so they are more than happy.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Ok just for clarity...
When you say 3 sets of 10 or 3x10 or 5x10
Do you mean 3 reps for 10 sets or 3 sets of 10 reps?

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Lmfao!!
psych:
Dude paleo is fuckin stupid....crossfiters
don't lift shit and when they do it looks like a retard new born deer trying to walk. I'm crabby sry.
Quote from eddies school of hard knocks?

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Psych I'm digging the program and I'm going to give it a go. Thank you for posting it for me.

Is the second wave with the 3x5 and 5x5 for five weeks also?
After the second wave what do you do? Start the first wave again with your new higher numbers?

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
second wave is 3x5 for heavy and 5x5 for light day

Yes for 5 weeks then 3 weeks of 3x3, peaking routine.

the 5x10 and 5x5 is like a Speed day, dynamic day, but your using the repetition method. As the weight on heavy day goes up the 80% light day goes too, but since they go up together you will always be in the 60-70% range. This way your training parameter goes up evenly.

Westside ain't shit it's just repackaged knowledge of soviet training. Like Japanese horror movies are better than the American remakes....just sayin.

All programs are the same, 5/3/1/, westside, cube, etc..

The core principals are there and focus on certain ones more than others.

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Lmfao!!
psych:
Dude paleo is fuckin stupid....crossfiters
don't lift shit and when they do it looks like a retard new born deer trying to walk. I'm crabby sry.
Quote from eddies school of hard knocks?

Yes sir! If the old man doesn't get that nap in he gets pissy.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
second wave is 3x5 for heavy and 5x5 for light day

Yes for 5 weeks then 3 weeks of 3x3, peaking routine.

the 5x10 and 5x5 is like a Speed day, dynamic day, but your using the repetition method. As the weight on heavy day goes up the 80% light day goes too, but since they go up together you will always be in the 60-70% range. This way your training parameter goes up evenly.

Westside ain't shit it's just repackaged knowledge of soviet training. Like Japanese horror movies are better than the American remakes....just sayin.

All programs are the same, 5/3/1/, westside, cube, etc..

The core principals are there and focus on certain ones more than others.

Yeah man I love it, its just good old fashioned linear periodization with submaximal weight. As the weight goes up the reps come down. PERFECT. You get training frequency, and volume, and intensity:headbang:

I can get started tomorrow too since the Thur. Friday weights decide the Mon. Tue. weights.

Would you recomend a slightly reduced training max (like 95%), like a lot of guys do now(Wendler, Lily)?

Could you lay out the 3x3 routine for me also please?

Thanks a TON, this is a big help for me!

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Yeah man I love it, its just good old fashioned linear periodization with submaximal weight. As the weight goes up the reps come down. PERFECT. You get training frequency, and volume, and intensity:headbang:

I can get started tomorrow too since the Thur. Friday weights decide the Mon. Tue. weights.

Would you recomend a slightly reduced training max (like 95%), like a lot of guys do now(Wendler, Lily)?

Could you lay out the 3x3 routine for me also please?

Thanks a TON, this is a big help for me!Take your max and multi by .90%

3x3 when we see how your doin in 10 wks.
1. we may have to change some things
2. make sure you dont die...it gets heavy fast. enjoy!

This way you can make increase and not get crushed.
Example max 405, 405x.90=365. 365x.75=275 on hevay day till you get 10/10/10. Light day would be 275x.8=220 for 5x10.

Last edited: