©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Does anyone do lower volume higher frequency training?

roadglide83

Feb 9, 2014
America
I wanted to get other opinions on lower volume higher frequency training. Like hitting a muscle group every 3-4 days but maybe cutting volume in half or less. Like 4-6 overall sets instead of 14-20. I think the weights would deff increase due to less overall fatigue but I also know there are other ways to create hypertrophy other than just using more weight for example adding more volume.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I am a believer of of HFT myself and found that threads HST or Hypertrophy Specific Training were very helpful. I am powerlifting now, but when I was bbing I preferred 2x week. I still hit everything 2x week even now. It worked for Arnold and the principles are sound or even preferred to 1x week training imho.
The thing I had to keep in mind, particularly with the popularity of Bulgarian every day type programs is to remember the goal is results not how much volume or frequency. That is to say there is a point of diminishing returns, but worth it is worth finding out what that point is.

Hawk

Sandpig

AnaSCI VET
Mar 22, 2014
SIN CITY
I alternate it with volume say every two months.

I used a program that had me hitting each muscle group five times every two weeks.

It's what I could put together of Phil Hernon's routine.

Half the body each workout training two on one off.

Three different exercises for each group one all out work set for each exercise. Using a different rep range for each exercise.

roadglide83

Feb 9, 2014
America
I alternate it with volume say every two months.

I used a program that had me hitting each muscle group five times every two weeks.

It's what I could put together of Phil Hernon's routine.

Half the body each workout training two on one off.

Three different exercises for each group one all out work set for each exercise. Using a different rep range for each exercise.

How did this compare to volume training as far as size and strength gains?

killswitch604

Dec 3, 2013
I've been switching back and forth between higher frequency, low volume, heavy training and higher volume training, with an emphasis on the higher frequency strength training, and my gains haven't been this good in a long time. I'm using a program called 915 by Christian Thibaudeau right now. Highly recommended.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I hit each muscle AT LEAST 4 times per week. Each day has a different set and rep scheme and volume is moderated closely, as well as intensity. The goals is create enough damage and metabolic stress to allow for a growth stimulus but not so much it takes a week to recover.

I've been doing quite well on this program and feel it increases the metabolic stimulus greatly... I have to consume a ton of food on it.

Alinshop

May 20, 2013
I hit each muscle AT LEAST 4 times per week. Each day has a different set and rep scheme and volume is moderated closely, as well as intensity. The goals is create enough damage and metabolic stress to allow for a growth stimulus but not so much it takes a week to recover.

I've been doing quite well on this program and feel it increases the metabolic stimulus greatly... I have to consume a ton of food on it.

Are you starving constantly?

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Good post.. RG... I have used higher frequency lower volume quite a bit in the past. I think it works well for coming back from long layoffs and works well for advanced guys as well. If you were training Yates style hit it would be
detrimental. For maintena

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Motherfucker!hit send with my arm hair! lol. For maintenance it would help maintain a nice balance of condition and strength. For your normal year round feel it would be good as well. As Haney said stimulate don't annihilate.
If you break down tissue to extreme you will need more recovery time.
Less breakdown = less recovery time. Of course some will overcomplicate the hell out of this. I think it is a good training protocol for bodybuilding .
T