©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Does my routine need tweaking?

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
Monday - Legs (weak point)
I always use pyramid to heavy wt./ low rep then drop sets to burn out on all my lifts.
Squats - 5-8 sets
Rom. Deads - 5-8
Leg Press - 5-8 with 15 reps calf raise after set.
Leg Ext. - 5-8 (variation of hammer strength/ machine)
Leg Curl 5-8 (variation of lying/standing)
Donkey Calf raises - 6-8
Seated Calf raise - 6-8

Tuesday - Shoulders (pyramid to heavy wt. low rep drop to lt. weight hi rep. )

Dumbell press - 5-7 (variation of standing/sitting my thought is standing engages more core than does sitting)

Reverse incline db lateral raise 5-7 (variation of reverse pec/ seated bent over lateral raise of similar movement)

Machine press front/ behind the head - 5-7
Standing lateral db raise - 4-6
Upright rows - 4-6
One arm side cable lateral 4-6
Barbell shrugs - 4-6
Db shrugs - 4-6

Wednesday - Arms (same format as above)

Incline skull crushers ez bar - 5-7
Ez bar curls - 5-7
Standing overhead db ext. - 5-7
Standing db curls - 5-7
Preacher curls - 5-7
Rope pull downs (cable machine) - 5-7
21's with ez bar - 3-4
Close grip bb press - 4-6

Thursday - Chest/ back (same format as above)

Bench press - 5-7
Cable rows - 5-7
Incline bench - 4-6 (db for variation)
Bent over bb row - 4-6 (db for variation)
Incline db fly - 4-6 (pec deck or cable fly for variation)
Lat pull down - 4-6
Hammer strength (incl. iso.) - 4-6

This is the foundation of my routine and typically the order I use, I always make sure my main lifts go first and I do switch the order up periodically. I typically lift heavy two wks. Then go light one wk. My target time in the gym is around an hour for lifting, not counting warm up/ stretching and cool down.

Thoughts or variations?

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Well what are your goals? How many work sets do you do?

Legs are your "weak point" but you are doing more sets for biceps than quads?

What are your stats? What is your training experience? What do you look like (pics)? What training programs have you done previously and how has this worked in terms of adding strength and size?

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I don't think so much all these numbers even matter that much- intensity and expenditure is what you really want to measure-

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
Well what are your goals? How many work sets do you do?

Legs are your "weak point" but you are doing more sets for biceps than quads?

What are your stats? What is your training experience? What do you look like (pics)? What training programs have you done previously and how has this worked in terms of adding strength and size?

My short term goal is to make quality gains, long term I want to look good and be big as **** for as long as possible. Most of my sets are working sets, after I warm up a muscle group, normally on the first movement 1 warm up is all I need.

Agreed on one more exercise for bi's than quads, I could incorporate hack squats in for more work.

Stats - bench: 225 squat: 265 dead: 275
I've trained off and on since 2001 never really stayed committed long enough to take my physique to the next level, I make really good gains and take a break from the gym, whether from injury or just plain burned out. I just re - committed myself about 2 months ago and I think I'm making good progress so far. I'll post pics when I get a chance, but I'm 35, 6'3, 240 not really sure bf% and as far as programs I've used in the past just pieced my own wo togeather from reading Arnolds bbb and it's worked well for me adding both strength and size, I just need to stay consistent. I don't eat junk though I dirty bulked in my 20's and got up to 265.

I wasn't too clear on reps - warm up 12-15 working sets are 10,8,6,2/1 drop set from 1 so I'm doing like 40-60 reps per movement. Is that too much? Not sure if you heard if Mike Rashid and CT Fletcher but pyramid to drops is their philosophy.

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
I don't think so much all these numbers even matter that much- intensity and expenditure is what you really want to measure-
Thanks bro that makes sense I'm starting to think I waste too much energy on reps when I could cut them down to two or three sets with higher intensity and weight.

pno517

Aug 13, 2014

Thanks bro that makes sense I'm starting to think I waste too much energy on reps when I could cut them down to two or three sets with higher intensity and weight.

Sandpig

AnaSCI VET
Mar 22, 2014
SIN CITY
IMO, if you are looking more at improving your physique than worrying about pure strength, you don't nee to do those heavy sets of 1-2 reps.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I'm not saying don't do a lot of sets and I am also not saying keep your sets low- what I'm saying is go into the gym and give everything you got every time-

I tend to do a lot of volume for most of the year, but I don't always say "hey I need to do 20 sets per body part" but what I do say is "I need to kill my my muscles every time whether that's from high weight or high volume or extended time under tension- either way it's more about intensity than an exact numerical formula.

Go hard in any style and it will benefit you- I mean hard to where you feel like you want to pass out through the majority of your workout.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
I would give it everything I have regardless of sets/reps/exercises like was suggested.
Looking at your leg routine:
I always use pyramid to heavy wt./ low rep then drop sets to burn out on all my lifts.
Squats - 5-8 sets
Rom. Deads - 5-8
Donkey Calf raises - 6-8
Seated Calf raise - 6-8

While drop sets are conducive to hypertrophy (who doesn't want to get bigger? - OK, powerlifters/strength athletes in weight classes duh!), they aren't optimal for gains in strength. You should definitely lift both ways. Get stronger, get bigger, get stronger, get bigger and so on.
I'd modify my leg routine every few weeks to a more strength type routine, longer rests (2 minutes or so) with less volume and exercises. Those work sets are to FAILURE. If you do 12 reps when you were supposed to get 8 add weight next week. Don't just stop at 8 though - go to failure.

Supersets:
A1: Squats - 5 sets 2 warmup 3 work sets of 4-6 reps
A2: Rom. Deads - 4 sets 1 warmup 3 work sets of 8-10,6-8, 4-6 reps

(Do 1 warmup squat set. Do 2nd warmup squat and 1st dead warmup. Then the 3 super set work sets)

Do A1 - no rest A2 - 120 seconds rest.

B1: Leg Ext. - 2 sets 8-10, 6-8
B2: Lying Leg Curl - 2 sets 6-8,4-6

Do B1 no rest B2 - 120 seconds rest. Use 3 second negatives on both on all reps.

Standing calf raises 2 sets 1x10-12 warmup 1x10-12

Seated Calf raise - 1 set 8-10

Last edited:

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
IMO, if you are looking more at improving your physique than worrying about pure strength, you don't nee to do those heavy sets of 1-2 reps.
So using bench as an example, unless I have a goal of reaching 500, the heavy sets aren't benefiting my overall physique more so to add more and more weight? Makes sense.

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
I'm not saying don't do a lot of sets and I am also not saying keep your sets low- what I'm saying is go into the gym and give everything you got every time-

I tend to do a lot of volume for most of the year, but I don't always say "hey I need to do 20 sets per body part" but what I do say is "I need to kill my my muscles every time whether that's from high weight or high volume or extended time under tension- either way it's more about intensity than an exact numerical formula.

Go hard in any style and it will benefit you- I mean hard to where you feel like you want to pass out through the majority of your workout.

Solid advice bro I get what you're saying, kill it or dont bother wasting time. What I was saying about going heavy for less sets higher intensity was kind of in reference to a training program I was reading up on, on SOI, it was thus cat named bosshogg and that's what he was teaching, take the most compound movement in which you can lift the most and blast it for 20 - 30 high intense reps and move on. He was saying Dorian Yates and Mike Mentzers preached this style, ever heard or tried it? It's kind of interesting to me.

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
I would give it everything I have regardless of sets/reps/exercises like was suggested.
Squats - 5-8 sets
Rom. Deads - 5-8
Donkey Calf raises - 6-8
Seated Calf raise - 6-8

While drop sets are conducive to hypertrophy (who doesn't want to get bigger? - OK, powerlifters/strength athletes in weight classes duh!), they aren't optimal for gains in strength. You should definitely lift both ways. Get stronger, get bigger, get stronger, get bigger and so on.
I'd modify my leg routine every few weeks to a more strength type routine, longer rests (2 minutes or so) with less volume and exercises. Those work sets are to FAILURE. If you do 12 reps when you were supposed to get 8 add weight next week. Don't just stop at 8 though - go to failure.

Supersets:

(Do 1 warmup squat set. Do 2nd warmup squat and 1st dead warmup. Then the 3 super set work sets)

Do B1 no rest B2 - 120 seconds rest. Use 3 second negatives on both on all reps.

Thanks man I appreciate you're suggestion and what you said. Supersetting squats and deads will just about kill me smh but I want it too lol. I'm going to incorporate those ss into my next leg wo and it'll go right along with what Enigmatic was saying about giving it all I got...hope I don't projectile vomit in the middle of my 4th squat set lol that would be crazy!

pno517

Aug 13, 2014
Squats - 5-8 sets
Rom. Deads - 5-8
Donkey Calf raises - 6-8
Seated Calf raise - 6-8

Supersets:

Thanks man I appreciate you'r suggestion and what you said. Supersetting squats and deads will just about kill me smh but I want it too lol. I'm going to incorporate those ss into my next leg wo and it'll go right along with what Enigmatic was saying about giving it all I got...hope I don't projectile vomit in the middle of my 4th squat set lol that would be crazy!