©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Dumbell vs Barbell

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Hi folks...I have always trained by myself with no spotter and using Dumbells.....now i want to start hitting the Barbells. I have heard they say you can press heavier with a barbell than a dumbell...If this is the case, is it because of the "balancing" involved with dumbells, or is it that they ( barbells ) use MORE muscle-fibres than with a dumbell??...thx :)

Big A

IFBB Pro / NPC Judge / Admin
Sep 10, 2005
When pushing a barbell, you are only pushing one object, as such more muscle fibers get concentrated on pushing the weight (thus more weight pushed) than also trying to balance it.

I personally prefer dumbells as much as possible simply because dumbells allow the movements to be natural and not restricted in a linear motion as with a barbell - as such less injuries.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Big A said:
When pushing a barbell, you are only pushing one object, as such more muscle fibers get concentrated on pushing the weight (thus more weight pushed) than also trying to balance it.

I personally prefer dumbells as much as possible simply because dumbells allow the movements to be natural and not restricted in a linear motion as with a barbell - as such less injuries.
Thanks BigA....sorta makes sense. I think in THAT case, ill stick with me "dumbells" ;-)

P

pincrusher

going along with what bigA already stated, i like dumbells because they offer a much greater range of motion versus a barbell. they both have their place and just as many will argue that barbells are better than who will argue on behalf of dumbells.
charles poliquin who is a very well known and respected trainer of champions prefers dumbells over barbells also. what for me makes them better is that with chest for example. i get a much bettter contraction because of the plane of motion and the full contraction of the pecs i can acheive with a dumbell. i have always struggled with getting a full contraction with a barbell but that may be due to my short arms from only being 5'6" with dumbells i always get a full contraction at the top of the muscle and if you visually looked at my pecs you would see them much more fully bunched together and contracted at the top of the motion.
one last thing is that when training alone they are much safer to use than a barbell;)

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Hi Pin....I forgot...We're the same lenth...Hows things going with you mate??....Also in the same breath...Whats your weight now? ( im still at 136Lb )
cheers ;-)

P

pincrusher

Robin Hood said:
Hi Pin....I forgot...We're the same lenth...Hows things going with you mate??....Also in the same breath...Whats your weight now? ( im still at 136Lb )
cheers ;-)
im sitting at 215 right now but just started up with a gh/igf/test cyp cycle so i should start to grow again. had a rash of injuries last year that really set me back and the adoption took away alot of my gym time but i have managed to change around my schedule a little. just trying to get a little bigger say go up to 250lbs or thereabouts.:)

NeverBigEnuff

Nov 12, 2005
pincrusher said:
im sitting at 215 right now but just started up with a gh/igf/test cyp cycle so i should start to grow again. had a rash of injuries last year that really set me back and the adoption took away alot of my gym time but i have managed to change around my schedule a little. just trying to get a little bigger say go up to 250lbs or thereabouts.:)

I was feeling pretty stoked since I just hit 250 lbs, but I'm just a bit under 6'4". Next to Pin I would look like a skinny schoolboy. Well, considering my age, I would look like a skinny, very, very, old schoolboy! Oh, the age.....well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to let the decades be known. I'll be 60 end of the summer. Ouch, that hurts just to read it.

mandarb11

Oct 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
NeverBigEnuff said:
I was feeling pretty stoked since I just hit 250 lbs, but I'm just a bit under 6'4". Next to Pin I would look like a skinny schoolboy. Well, considering my age, I would look like a skinny, very, very, old schoolboy! Oh, the age.....well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to let the decades be known. I'll be 60 end of the summer. Ouch, that hurts just to read it.

Thats awesome I hope I am still going strong when i am your age! Thats great to see! I have another 30 years before then, probably be a cripple by then with all the heavy weights I lift!

P

pincrusher

NeverBigEnuff said:
actually considering your age, you would look way more impressive standing next to me.:)
i just hope i will still be doing this when i hit that age and beyond.;)

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
Ill usually use the Barbells on The basics- Squats,deads,Bench,Rows ,Military press. Then Ill follow Barbells with some Db`s (for example Incline Db`s After Flat bench etc) then Ill finish with cables or any isolation movement After the Db`s.. I always Start most every workout though with a heavy Barbell exercise.