©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Empty Bottles

cybrsage

May 1, 2015
Be careful about the laws of your state before writing anything on the container. In my state, no one is required to take your used syringes so no one does. The law says you should put your needles in an empty coffee can or laundry detergent container (must be able to be sealed shut). After filling it up, tape it closed tightly and write "DO NOT RECYCLE" on the container, then toss it in the regular trash. If you write anything about SHARPS or BIOHAZARD, it suddenly becomes illegal to put it in the trash and you must keep it forever. Yes, those red sharps containers can never be gotten rid of if you use them...

vpiedu

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
as a TRT patient with a scrip i have a sharps container for pins which i transfer to a laundry detergent bottle when i empty it and put it in the trash and that instruction came straight from my doctor. vials and barrels go in the trash. no mail of any kind goes in the trash, it all gets burned. just the way i have always done it

VP

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Be careful about the laws of your state before writing anything on the container. In my state, no one is required to take your used syringes so no one does. The law says you should put your needles in an empty coffee can or laundry detergent container (must be able to be sealed shut). After filling it up, tape it closed tightly and write "DO NOT RECYCLE" on the container, then toss it in the regular trash. If you write anything about SHARPS or BIOHAZARD, it suddenly becomes illegal to put it in the trash and you must keep it forever. Yes, those red sharps containers can never be gotten rid of if you use them...

Now that is good information. I had never heard of that before.

cybrsage

May 1, 2015
Now that is good information. I had never heard of that before.

Here is a great resource to find the laws of each US State regarding sharps disposal. I consider BD an authoritative resource on this, for obvious reasons. :)

Sharps Disposal Regulations by State

Each state is different. For example, Colorado says to label your sealed container as sharps and then toss it in the trash while Pennsylvania says to NOT label it as sharps but still throw it in the trash. Both say to NOT put it in the recycle bin.

Last edited:

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
I seen this exact post an comments on another forum . why?
I just put the post here because I had over 75 empty bottles and a shit load of used syringes and don't want any one to get hurt or get in trouble after the fact - now that would suck
We had some great info here so far - thanks guys