©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Getting that V-Taper

Stallion

Sep 24, 2012
Here is a great example an amazing v-taper. His name is Artemus Dolgen. Minimal user, turned pro at 167lbs, but his training is spot on. His back isn't all that huge but you can see his waist is insane. Probably 27-28". He limits core work and seldom does abs. Wears a squeem to train his abs from distenting, and does vacuum exercises religiously. I think many here could benefit from swapping traditional ab work with vacuum exercises.

fc81a310676a84073eaf85774c50d200.jpg

I think you make a valid point. I've heard so many in my circle that got their waist down by simply not working abs, which make them appear thicker somewhat. Thats how Arnold kept it tight but doing the vacuum exercises. I will have to give this some thought.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I'm curious how the idea of doing minimal ab work conflicts with the idea of having a strong core? I've always trained abs for the benefit of having the strongest core muscles possible to help prevent injuries. Not that it's helped much, but still, that was the point. Granted, these guys r bodybuilders and not power lifters, so as long as their not getting ridiculous with the poundages, or using horrendous form they might be okay.

But, just as a general rule, doesn't the idea of limiting core work make one more susceptible to back injuries if they lift heavy? And especially if they carry the kind of mass on top that these guys do?

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I guess I've gone against the grain when it comes to the bro science about core work. I've always felt minimizing it also minimized distension. Guy doing weighted or rope crunches can get blocky waists and train their abs to distenting. The little ab work I do utilize ab lengthing exercises such as leg raises and ab wheel work. I've always felt these exercises help tighten the waist much like vacuum exercises. I also wear a tight belt everytime I lift for the entire workout, not allowing my abs to grow outward. I have remained injury free for the many years I have done this with no noticeable weakness in my core. With everything we do they still get trained pretty hard. I do agree that powerlifting there may be an issue, but I'm not a powerlifter and I see them a 2 entirely different training styles.
I'm curious how the idea of doing minimal ab work conflicts with the idea of having a strong core? I've always trained abs for the benefit of having the strongest core muscles possible to help prevent injuries. Not that it's helped much, but still, that was the point. Granted, these guys r bodybuilders and not power lifters, so as long as their not getting ridiculous with the poundages, or using horrendous form they might be okay.

But, just as a general rule, doesn't the idea of limiting core work make one more susceptible to back injuries if they lift heavy? And especially if they carry the kind of mass on top that these guys do?

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't read the other replies. But it's all about building big round shoulders, a wide back and maintaining a small waist. The waist is vital. My back is probably a lot wider than it looks because my waist is easily 38 inches. There are pics were my waist looks fairly small but it's far from small.

I want to improve my v taper this year. I will be doing that by really focusing on my lats when training back. I will be using a variety of rows to accomplish that. I won't be going crazy heavy so I can really focus on form. My back is very strong but if you are doing 5 plates a side you lose that control. Especially for the genetically weaker bodybuilder you need that control and focus to improve a weaker bodypart. I will feel my lats working on every rep... getting a full stretch at the top and bottom of every rep. I will also be killing my middle and rear delts with lateral and rear delt raises performed twice weekly.

On top of the above I will start cutting and performing vacuums throughout every day. I will add in a few fat loss aids and eat a clean well balanced diet so for every inch my waist goes in my back will probably appear 1 inch wider. I am hoping to lose at least 4 inches around my waist so that will only add to my v taper.