©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

good read .to lift or not to lift

black77

Aug 19, 2005
found this article on another site . interesting .what do you think of this guys thinking.Should I just give up on bodybuilding?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not meant as a flame, just my serious thoughts concerning bodybuiling as a whole. Please don't take offense to this, as it is not meant to attack anyone.

If you find errors in my logic, feel free to point them out. I just feel very depressed "bodybuilding", because the reward doesnt seem to justify the effort for someone like myself.

--------------------

It has been apparent to me that bodybuilding, even at my "recreational" level, pretty much consumes your life if you want to take it seriously.

If you examine the lives of top level competitors, bodybuilding is really all they are allowed to do, if they want to be competitive. What does this preparation involve?

Mainly... Either not having a job at all, or having a job that fully allows you to be a bodybuilder (see following requirements).

Requirements:
1) Take vast amounts of illegal drugs & steroids. (I've heard expenses can range upto 50k a year for top pros?)
2) Eat obscene quantities of food (not pleasurable food), upto 10 meals a day.
3) Devote at least 2-3 hours a day to the gym itself, including travel and workout time.
4) Maintain a year round tan, and keep your entire body hairless.
5) Additionally, preform low intensity fat burning cardio, upto an hour a day.

If you truly understand bodybuilding though, you will realize that many "bodybuilders" are not as strong as other pro athletes (some football players) or strength-athletes (olympic & power lifters), mainly because most of the bodybuiling weight training is geared towards building muscle mass, rather than strength or explosiveness. In other words, the muscle is still there, but not as functional as it seems.

Another disappointing quality is.... "Mr Olympia", supposedly a fitness champ, would be hard pressed to run a few miles. Why? Because the cardio they do is purely for aesthetics as well.... to shed bodyfat. High intensity cardio would probably increase cardiovascular fitness.... but more realistically for them, it cuts down on recovery time from weight workouts, and more techincally, burns more carbohydrates/glycogen for fuel than bodyfat.

So while all this working out makes you big & lean, and pretty strong, you are still basically a facade.

Consider for example, the current Mr Olympias bench press: roughly-500lbs. Max squat- 800lbs.

These numbers sound impressive, until you consider that olympic lifters half their bodyweight match and/or exceed them. Or that these numbers are not even competitive if you wanted to compete in powerlifting or WSM contests on ESPN. Hell, even some guys in NCAA football are stronger.

A professional bodybuider's body would be very hard pressed to compete at ny sport on a high level, or be in a physically demanding job like military or fire-fighter.

W

wolfyEVH

I dont understand whats his big concern w/ strength.........powerlifters have different body types, different diets, take different drug combos, and lift differently........

When i train, its about looking good first...adding muscle....strength isnt the primary thing for me.......

as for his comment about bodybuilders having no other life besides bodybuilding...well true for some...but some, like coleman only participate in a few events.....they're earning lots of cash, lots of endorsments......they love to do it.....they can stop whenever they want to......fact of the matter is...bodybuilders are dedicated to their jobs....flex wheeler would drive a hour each way (TWICE a day) to his gym each and every day and when he got home he would eat and sleep...thats it....his wife stood by him w/ it too.

Testosperone

Oct 4, 2005
yeah..coleman has no life i got the video man its boring. my primary goal is strength. one day im going to be a world strongest man

Macstanton

Nov 21, 2005
marius pudzianowski has won several world's strongest man titles and is absolutely ripped to shreds. it is possible to be both amazingly strong and lean.

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
Bro, do us a favour and dont copy and paste threads from other boards. Its annoying, especially when it regards wether bodybuilding is even worth it. If the question of wether its worth it or not even needs to be asked, then get the fuck out of the gym cuz your taking up my space.

mr.nitrofish

May 5, 2005
if I had the choice to A)look strong enough to lift a house or B) actually be able to lift a house and look small

of coure id choose A

black77

Aug 19, 2005
sorry heavy. the thread was so dumb .i guess i just had to see what you guys on the board thoght . as for me giving up lifting i been at the game to long now .damn what was i thinking when i built my arms up to 18 .i could have been a sports writer .lol

steve0085

May 4, 2005
FlorEeDuh
mr.nitrofish said:
if I had the choice to A)look strong enough to lift a house or B) actually be able to lift a house and look small

of coure id choose A
I would pick B. But, in reality size and strength come hand in hand, having one you will have the other, it's just a matter of which one you will have more of. I've never seen a small strongman.

W

wolfyEVH

steve0085 said:
I would pick B. But, in reality size and strength come hand in hand, having one you will have the other, it's just a matter of which one you will have more of. I've never seen a small strongman.

a small strong man!?!? what??? they're all over.......mostly due to genetics (muscle fiber types). got these little skinny bastards doing the same weight i am on squats

mr.nitrofish

May 5, 2005
I just never wanted to be a powerlifter, I give them credit, but its just not my thing. I just want to look good, damn good.