©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hamstring training

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
Here is a good video on hamstring training. All common sense but goes over things very well.

The Most Effective Way to Train HAMSTRINGS | Training Science Explained - YouTube

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
This should have gone in the training section :eek: Please move if you notice it. Thanks

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Good video
Biggest thing on hams is kill them each time.
Once you feel the burn - keep going
Just my to cents

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
HAMSTRINGS are a big focus for me right now. Really trying to bring my HAMS and GLUTES up to par.

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
HAMSTRINGS are a big focus for me right now. Really trying to bring my HAMS and GLUTES up to par.

Me too. When I am sat down my hams look huge but stood up (leg bent slightly) they seem to disappear :eek: I have definitely made improvements though so it's better than nothing.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Me too. When I am sat down my hams look huge but stood up (leg bent slightly) they seem to disappear :eek: I have definitely made improvements though so it's better than nothing.

I have brought mine up quite a bit but I still have some un-even development from right to left leg. I had a serious right leg injury years back that I think could be a culprit. I have been using an Iso Lateral Hammer strength standing hamstring ands its made a great difference lately.

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
I have brought mine up quite a bit but I still have some un-even development from right to left leg. I had a serious right leg injury years back that I think could be a culprit. I have been using an Iso Lateral Hammer strength standing hamstring ands its made a great difference lately.

Sounds like it's the injury. I have been fine with injuries (legs) but have dislocated my knee cap very badly. I started getting some knee pain after that.

My old gym had that machine and I loved it. Although my current gym has 2 standing leg curl machines and both are good. They are both very old but do the job. It's an old school gym full of a mixture of new and old. It also has 2 seated leg curl and 2 lying leg curl machines but out of the 4 only 1 is any good for me. They bought a new seated leg curl and I can't fit in it and it feels like an injury ready to happen when I try to.

My other gym which I am leaving soon has a cybex seated leg curl and it's the best I have ever used. I can destroy myself on it without worrying about my lower back. Equipment can definitely make a difference. I have started doing stiff leg deadlifts as well so that will help. My lower back can take them now (hopefully :eek:). They have improved a lot so I should be happy but for the amount of abuse I have put them through you would expect a lot better :eek::p

Gonna join my old gym again soon so I will be able to use that hammer strength standing ham curl machine again.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
I like the one that has a weight stack on each side. I train at another gym that has a plate loaded one and its no where near as smooth.

Stevensmith

Apr 22, 2019
Hamstring training is really useful for the runners and other sportsman. I really appreciate your video and Hamstring training.

grizz

Mar 28, 2016
I've been working on hamstrings without hammering my low back. With all the deadlifts, squats, cleans, and other stuff, my low back is usually over it by the time i get to RDLs or good mornings. I should probably just find a different gym that has a hamstring curl machine lol.

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
Good video. I always try to use a stiff leg deadlift variation and a leg curl variation every leg workout.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I've been working on hamstrings without hammering my low back. With all the deadlifts, squats, cleans, and other stuff, my low back is usually over it by the time i get to RDLs or good mornings. I should probably just find a different gym that has a hamstring curl machine lol.

Your gym doesn't have a leg curl machine? You need a new gym. You can try them on a decline bench with a db. Or even lying flat on the floor. Either way is good.

danieltx

Donating Member
Jun 12, 2018
Your gym doesn't have a leg curl machine? You need a new gym. You can try them on a decline bench with a db. Or even lying flat on the floor. Either way is good.

Buying an ankle strap you can attach to a cable-pulley setup is another idea.

It's rare to find gyms with singe leg curl machines these days and that's what I did so I could put standing single leg curls in my routine.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Buying an ankle strap you can attach to a cable-pulley setup is another idea.

It's rare to find gyms with singe leg curl machines these days and that's what I did so I could put standing single leg curls in my routine.

Stiff legged deadlifts are a great tool to use especially if your gym doesn't have direct hamstring equipment.

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
Stiff legged deadlifts are a great tool to use especially if your gym doesn't have direct hamstring equipment.

I agree. Although it's very strange for a gym not to have any type (standing, seated, lying) of leg curl machine. I would definitely agree with join a better gym. As posted above you can do them with db's or cables with attachment (ankle strap). I used to do the later lying down away from the machine and they are a killer exercise. Although for someone with a bad lower back like me I make very good use of different varaitions of leg curl machines. As the video stated I think a great (well more optimal) hamstring workout should consist of a SLD and curl variation.

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
Good tips. I do the same. I like heavy db stiff leg dl's. My fav curl machine is the seated version.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
I improved mine when I started really increasing the intensity on different curl machines. I do that with going to failure then using partials and static holds. I prefer training each leg separately on all curl machines.