©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

How to get dense muscles?

RandomBear

Feb 27, 2013
I know that through low reps you would be able to achieve Myofibrilliar hypertrophy,but i am not aiming to build strenght but rather to get that dense muscle property e.g mike mentzer type of physique. My question is how should a program that is designed to target myofibrilliar hypertrophy suppose to look like?

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Muscle density I believe comes from high intensity training over many years of training. Ever see a 25 yr+ plus vet bber next to a 5 yr training bber ? Most times if both equally lean the older guy will have the hard grainy look from many years of training. Not always though as I knew a masters age guy years agothat was naturally peeled with really low bf year round. When contest preppedhe was absolutley shredded. Thing was he trained low wt low intensity his whole life. His muscles actually looked soft despite being ripped. If he flexed and you felt the muscle it was pretty soft. Now you get that guy thats in his late 30's and up thats been doing it"forever" . The guys with that rock with skin over it look of density are scary hard when flexed. They almost feel "not real"
they are so hard. I can spot years under the iron quickly at a show.
There are some perks to age in our world . I do think hi intensity training does contribute to the hard dense look. The main thing though is time.
Look at yates and mentzer thats density. Pretty is more for the younger guys
no dis there just a different look. Anyway just gabbing gotta head to the gym. T

Last edited:

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
I know that through low reps you would be able to achieve Myofibrilliar hypertrophy,but i am not aiming to build strenght but rather to get that dense muscle property e.g mike mentzer type of physique. My question is how should a program that is designed to target myofibrilliar hypertrophy suppose to look like?

Oh yeah must mention that it's not all hi intensity that contributes as I remember years ago people working "100's" and saying in the long run they became more "dense" in musculature. Not sure if it's true but you may want to investigate,. Of course the gentic factor is there too. I think guys with a high proportion of white fiber get the dense look more so than a guy with high red fiber percentage. Just my.2
nothing scientific or quotable . My observations only. T

RandomBear

Feb 27, 2013
I read in a lot of forums that strength training does contribute to the dense properties of the muscle due to the increased amounts of muscle fiber, so yeah..i was thinking of doing some strength training once every 4 weeks just to get that different hypertrophy and at the same time shock my muscles to grow. So i was wondering how the actual program would look like(sets and reps per workout), what would the split be like(3 days on 1 day off or 4 days on 1 day off) that type of thing.

Last edited:

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
muscle density i believe comes from high intensity training over many years of training. Ever see a 25 yr+ plus vet bber next to a 5 yr training bber ? Most times if both equally lean the older guy will have the hard grainy look from many years of training. Not always hough as i knew a masters age guy years agothat was naturally peeled with really low bf year round. When contest preppedhe was absolutley shredded. Thing was he trained low wt low intensity his whole life. His muscles actually looked soft despite being ripped. If he flexed and you felt the muscle it was pretty soft. Now you get that guy thats in his late 30's and up thats been doing it"forever" . The guys with that rock with skin over it look of density are scary hard when flexed. They almost feel "not real"
they are so hard. I can spot years under the iron quickly at a show.
There are some perks to age in our world . I do think hi intensity training does contribute to the hard dense look. The main thing though is time.
Look at yates and mentzer thats density. Pretty is more for the younger guys
no dis there just a different look. Anyway just gabbing gotta head to the gym. T

x2

omegachewy

Dec 8, 2012
Legal me break this simply down in both physiques and physiology. I also dare anyone to contest this because I will have it written up by MIT put associates.

Muscle strength is related to the cross sectional surface of a muscle. Also known in this alcase as density. It is the limiting factor in the size of any animal bc of the mathematics relation of strength to mass. Mass in terms of muscle is related to volume, which is a cu ic function, as opposed to strength, which is surface and is a square function.

So to answer your question, train for strength.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Legal me break this simply down in both physiques and physiology. I also dare anyone to contest this because I will have it written up by MIT put associates.

Muscle strength is related to the cross sectional surface of a muscle. Also known in this alcase as density. It is the limiting factor in the size of any animal bc of the mathematics relation of strength to mass. Mass in terms of muscle is related to volume, which is a cu ic function, as opposed to strength, which is surface and is a square function.

Umm, you kinda forgot to mention the efficiency of neuromuscular firing and the effects of mitochondrial proliferation due to increased work output over periods of time.

I like where you're going, but I feel you over simplified and forgot some key points. There is also the point that there in exist the possibility of conversion of muscle fiber types between type2 a and type2 b- again there is a lot of ground to cover in regards to this particular subject.

Another thing to mention is that in all my years I've never seen a study that's sole purpose was to investigate the mechanism of topic.

omegachewy

Dec 8, 2012
Yes but the muscle contraction speed,rate etc I feel would have little to do with sheer density of the overall muscle. Be it thicker of thinner fibers, as long as the mass to volume ratio remains relatively constant, density should as well. Ne it a large dense muscle or a small dense one.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012

Man I wish that it was as easy as coming up with a mathmatical equation to answer questions of this type. You forgot 1 part. Train for strength for a long period of time as in years.
I don't put much faith in stuff like that . Why would I? Because they said so? You are correct about strength/density. Had an old training partner that could pause 450 -475 on the bench . He was a 165 lber
with 13 inch arms . Would probably dull a scalpal.
Best thing is to get into the gym and bust ass with training intensity.
You do it your way I've already done it my way.
You have been challenged so show me something other than words printed on paper. You don't need to break it down simply .
I never did much research about research when I was 19 .
Spent my time working and training. I followed the lead of those who went before me. I experimented and found out what works best for me.Thanks, T

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
One more thing. What is the correlation between slow twitch and fast twitch fibers realtive to muscle density?Can red fiber(fslow twitch be trained successfully into a dense powerful state ? Can white fiber be trained for endurance?Like to hear your take. T

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
One more thing. What is the correlation between slow twitch and fast twitch fibers realtive to muscle density?Can red fiber(fslow twitch be trained successfully into a dense powerful state ? Can white fiber be trained for endurance?Like to hear your take. T

They can be trained to switch yes- that's the short answer
But I really made mention of because there are so many factors involved, not so much that this particular one is of a real significance, but it can play a role and it's worth mention is all.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Genetics. And years worth of muscle break down and repair will vary amongst all. Do what fits yourself so long term life longevity can be obtained.

Great thread and all very quality answers or replies guys
.we got some craniums in Anasci..
Thanks ib.

omegachewy

Dec 8, 2012
Man I wish that it was as easy as coming up with a mathmatical equation to answer questions of this type. You forgot 1 part. Train for strength for a long period of time as in years.
I don't put much faith in stuff like that . Why would I? Because they said so? You are correct about strength/density. Had an old training partner that could pause 450 -475 on the bench . He was a 165 lber
with 13 inch arms . Would probably dull a scalpal.
Best thing is to get into the gym and bust ass with training intensity.
You do it your way I've already done it my way.
You have been challenged so show me something other than words printed on paper. You don't need to break it down simply .
I never did much research about research when I was 19 .
Spent my time working and training. I followed the lead of those who went before me. I experimented and found out what works best for me.Thanks, T

im not sure if you took my statement as personal or what man, but it wasn't. Following basic anatomy/physiology combined with physics was all I did. And im trying to have my cake and eat it too by researching and training. So are you asking for pics of how I look? Im dieting down now, if so, will post them in the next pic update. Thursday perhaps when I have a half day of work.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
No nothing you said offended me . I get irritated by scientific/muscle
analysis "findings" sometimes. I've heard most of them over my years.
You're a good dude and put great effort into expanding your knowledge.
Always a good thing. You're are a very smart guy and I like your writings.
I had just come back from a heavy back session and was my usual
keyed up wired on endorphins self. Man I'm sorry if I came off dickish.
Not my intention. Not sure bout the pics thing? Pics are cool though.Like seeing
your countdown/progress. Have a great day. Keep the log going , good read.
Thanks , T

omegachewy

Dec 8, 2012
No nothing you said offended me . I get irritated by scientific/muscle
analysis "findings" sometimes. I've heard most of them over my years.
You're a good dude and put great effort into expanding your knowledge.
Always a good thing. You're are a very smart guy and I like your writings.
I had just come back from a heavy back session and was my usual
keyed up wired on endorphins self. Man I'm sorry if I came off dickish.
Not my intention. Not sure bout the pics thing? Pics are cool though.Like seeing
your countdown/progress. Have a great day. Keep the log going , good read.
Thanks , T

I was kind of thinking something along those lines, but just wanted to clarify. Its all good dude. And thank you, I like to consider myself a roided nerd. For me though, I have to have hard facts and science to back anything I do and say. I cant just do as someone says. Ive only done that once, and that was with Mike Arnold and I fully trust him, still scared shitless though. I find people follow broscience way too much though. My goal in bodybuilding is to change to stigma that surrounds us as block heads without a two neurons for a synapse. Plus I know its annoying to see some young guy come in with facts and blah blah saying he knows this and that. I just like to think that since ive been dong this for nine years already I do have more knowledge at my age than the average dipshit lol.
I do agree though a lot of density comes from time. you just cant beat that muscle maturity giving that hard grainy look us young guys dont have yet.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
IMO. Muscle density = muscle maturity = consistent heavy intense training + time - BF%

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
I was kind of thinking something along those lines, but just wanted to clarify. Its all good dude. And thank you, I like to consider myself a roided nerd. For me though, I have to have hard facts and science to back anything I do and say. I cant just do as someone says. Ive only done that once, and that was with Mike Arnold and I fully trust him, still scared shitless though. I find people follow broscience way too much though. My goal in bodybuilding is to change to stigma that surrounds us as block heads without a two neurons for a synapse. Plus I know its annoying to see some young guy come in with facts and blah blah saying he knows this and that. I just like to think that since ive been dong this for nine years already I do have more knowledge at my age than the average dipshit lol.
I do agree though a lot of density comes from time. you just cant beat that muscle maturity giving that hard grainy look us young guys dont have yet.

Well I know one of my training buds of late has a phd in education
and several lesser degrees in other disciplines. Great guy and smart .
You shoul him see later this yr at nats. Big guy too. six two 300ish and pretty damn lean. I think the old muscles = lack of intelligence is
only held by most that have hardly ever excercised let alone trained
at any high level. They might tell you it's just the intellect they care for. Well how dumb is it not to provide a strong durable container to haul that big ole brain around. Fuck the stigma. Truth is nay sayers
just probably could never summon the fortitude and guts that it takes to build a body or move some serious iron.
Pussy's have a right to point fingers . We have the right to not let it
get in the way. T

RandomBear

Feb 27, 2013
Thanks guys for the great replies. Another thing, what would you guys recommend i do for the strength training?

RandomBear

Feb 27, 2013
That's like asking a group of Christans, Muslims and Jews which religion to follow-

Well, the reason why i'm asking is because i have never done any strength training before. I have no idea what are the splits,the sets and the reps, the rest intervals and all those stuff and i don't know anyone in real life that has done any strength training either. So i was expecting like a rough guideline to it.