©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

insomnia

BossS

May 2, 2007
I have insomnia….is so bad . Just wondering if anyone on here get insomnia from their gear.some opinions?

Tyrone

AnaSCI VET
Feb 24, 2007
I'm sure people have had similar experiences. What are you using and how much? Might need to adjust eating times/training other....

bod1ggity

May 6, 2007
Supplements for Sleep

BossS said:
I have insomnia….is so bad . Just wondering if anyone on here get insomnia from their gear.some opinions?

Melatonin is the best natural sleep aid IMHO

Melatonin is a hormone produced naturally in the pineal gland at the base of the brain.
It is important in regulating sleep, and may play a role in maintaining circadian rhythm, the body's natural time clock.
Natural melatonin production decreases with age, and the decrease is associated with some sleep disorders, particularly in the elderly.
The use of melatonin supplements became popular in the mid-1990s as a way of treating insomnia.

Valerian Root is another great natural sleep aid

Valerian is a traditional herbal sleep remedy that has been studied with a variety of methodologic designs using multiple dosages and preparations. Research has focused on subjective evaluations of sleep patterns, particularly sleep latency, and study populations have primarily consisted of self-described poor sleepers. Valerian improves subjective experiences of sleep when taken nightly over one- to two-week periods, and it appears to be a safe sedative/hypnotic choice in patients with mild to moderate insomnia. The evidence for single-dose effect is contradictory. Valerian is also used in patients with mild anxiety, but the data supporting this indication are limited. Although the adverse effect profile and tolerability of this herb are excellent, long-term safety studies are lacking. (Am Fam Physician 2003;67:1755-8. Copyright©2003 American Academy of Family Physicians)

Tryptophan is also one of my favorite natural sleep aids

For some time, tryptophan was available in health food stores as a dietary supplement. Since 2002, L-Tryptophan has been sold again in its original form. Many people found tryptophan to be a safe and reasonably effective sleep aid, probably due to its ability to increase brain levels of serotonin (a calming neurotransmitter when present in moderate levels) and/or melatonin (a sleep-inducing hormone secreted by the pineal gland in response to darkness or low light levels).[3]

Clinical research tended to confirm tryptophan's effectiveness as a natural sleep aid and for a growing variety of other conditions typically associated with low serotonin levels or activity in the brain. (Particularly work by Dr. Richard Wurtman at MIT). In particular, tryptophan showed considerable promise as an antidepressant alone, and as an "augmenter" of antidepressant drugs. Other promising indications included relief of chronic pain and reduction of impulsive, violent, manic, addictive, anxiety-related, obsessive, and compulsive behaviours and disorders.