©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Is there such a thing as an alpha male?

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
The self described one's only seem to be louder and more obnoxious than your average man. The guys I know that are big, strong, intelligent and have the ability to be leaders are more quiet and humble.

To me loud and obnoxious = insecure. Someone that wants to be heard, not someone that needs to be heard. Maybe I'm wrong.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
There are definitely alpha males, but as you said, the ones that think they are usually are not.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Alpha is a way of life, an usually they aren't quite made known till a situation presents itself

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Alpha is a way of life, an usually they aren't quite made known till a situation presents itself

Ya, I think that's a great point. I think the male ego has distorted the over-used term "alpha".

Anyone can present themselves a certain way, but when things get tough or the shit hits the fan, leaders take over and loud mouths tend to get quiet and blend into the scenery. Interesting.

People never cease to amaze.

Last edited:

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Ya, I think that's a great point. I think the male ego has distorted the over-used term "alpha".

Anyone can present themselves a certain way, but when things get tough or the shit hits the fan, leaders take over and loud mouths tend to get quiet and blend into the scenery. Interesting.

People never cease to amaze.

Alpha males tend to be loners too-

So the hot shot running around with all his "bros" who think they are alpha are anything but-

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
I'm always loud but not alpha male it's cause I was raised with 7 siblings and it was survival..but I know what you mean Marshall.,those guys are called dicks.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
I worked with a guy that was always beating his chest, so to speak. When something was going on though, I noticed that he was always the guy in the back.

Use to love to talk about his skills though.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
In all my years... I would say I've realistically met 3-4 actually Alpha males that I feel are genuinely legit-

That's out of the 100k+ people I've come across I suppose

lunchbox31

May 21, 2013
Florida
Alpha males "real ones" aren't loud and obnoxious. Normally, in a group of friends they're friends will kind of look up to them and he will unintentionally be a leader. It's just a strong dominant presence without having to say it or act it. Women see it in them too. It's kinda like when you're a child and you recognize that your father is a stronger, dominant force and you look up to him as a leader. True alpha males aren't assholes...normally.

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
In all my years... I would say I've realistically met 3-4 actually Alpha males that I feel are genuinely legit-

That's out of the 100k+ people I've come across I suppose

I think I remember you talking to me now.:)

Read it somewhere but not sure exactly how it went, anyhow...

Insecure people are usually loudest and not scared to go forward. Confident and smart people, sometimes doubt themselves and never show their full potential.

I will admit, I fall into the later.

lunchbox31

May 21, 2013
Florida
I think I remember you talking to me now.:)

Read it somewhere but not sure exactly how it went, anyhow...

Insecure people are usually loudest and not scared to go forward. Confident and smart people, sometimes doubt themselves and never show their full potential.

I will admit, I fall into the later.

I wouldn't completely agree with that. There are partial truths in what you said. A lot of insecure people are the loudest in the room trying to ACT confident but aren't usually the one's to step forward, that's what being insecure is all about...self doubt. Confident people usually doubt themselves less than anyone else and are the ones out of anyone that succeed in life with the potential they have. I'll agree though that someone who is confident doesn't feel the need to try and make it a point that people notice what they are good and that they don't try to show off their full potential. That may be what you had meant and I was just reading it wrong. That's my .02 though.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
To me an alpha male is a protector of the very young the elderly and those that cannot do so for themselves . A man that will sacrafice his own comforts for the ones he loves and those that are strangers in need.
I think the term itself is way overused. I have known a few in my lifetime.
A very few. . T

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Sure, there's absolutely such a thing as an alpha male. But, it's important to distinguish between being AN alpha male, and being THE alpha male. It's a subtle, but important distinction.

Sociologically, every social group that includes more than one male has an alpha male. A guy can be the alpha in his social circle for any number of reasons. He doesn't have to be the biggest, strongest or best looking guy in the group. Sometimes he might be the smartest or the most charismatic, and sometimes there may be no particular reason. And while a guy might be the alpha in his social group, when he's inserted into a different social group with an already established social hierarchy that guy may not be the alpha.

I personally have several distinct social groups that I find myself in from day to day. In some of those social groups I think I'm pretty clearly the alpha, especially at work. I don't day that out of an inflated sense of ego or a need to be important. Simple observation can tell you if you're the alpha. When there's a decision to be made as or for the group, does your opinion seem to carry more weight than that of others? Will people gladly defer and allow you to make the decision for the group? Are you the social catalyst for the group? Does the groups social activity revolve around your schedule and social preferences? All basic clues, but honestly, it's usual very clear to everyone in the group whom the alpha is , even if it's not something that anyone in the group is actively thinking about.

But, I also run in several distinct social circles that where I'm clearly not the alpha. It's a fluid thing. All social groups function in this way, including female groups. Either you are the alpha in a particular group or you aren't. It's something that is sensed very innately by every member of the group almost immediately, without needing to be verbalized.

Now, there's also the very rare case of the guy that is always the alpha male in every social circle he finds himself in. These guys are exceedingly rare, if for no other reason than the fact that social dynamics can fluctuate greatly with cultural differences and education levels. Any of us may have met one or 2 people in our lives that can insert themselves in any social group and be clearly identified as the alpha by all members of the group. Guys that meet this criteria can be called AN alpha male. But that doesn't mean you're not THE alpha male in your social circle.

OuchThatHurts

AnaSCI VIP
Jul 27, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
To me an alpha male is a protector of the very young the elderly and those that cannot do so for themselves . A man that will sacrafice his own comforts for the ones he loves and those that are strangers in need.
I think the term itself is way overused. I have known a few in my lifetime.
A very few. . T
This is exactly correct. An alpha make is kind, caring, strong and gentle. He takes care of those around him as their servant and he is always looked upon with great respect. Being an alpha personality has little to do with temporary social contructs of mock male tribes (cliques) and therefore can be of no use as being indicative of whether or not someone is an alpha male.

An alpha male knows that in order to actually be an alpha male, he needs to ensure the well-being of the weaker males around him by caring for them. Trite personality traits like being loud, obnoxious, or cocky may do someone well in a small group of temporary males that have bonded over some commonality. But those bonds disappear when the commonality does.

Alpha males go from place to place and command respect without ever issuing orders or demands. He is respected as he serves. He "gets his hands dirty" and he never asks someone to do something he wouldn't do himself.

And I also agree that I have only met a handful of what I consider to be true alpha males in my entire life.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
Sure, there's absolutely such a thing as an alpha male. But, it's important to distinguish between being AN alpha male, and being THE alpha male. It's a subtle, but important distinction.

Sociologically, every social group that includes more than one male has an alpha male. A guy can be the alpha in his social circle for any number of reasons. He doesn't have to be the biggest, strongest or best looking guy in the group. Sometimes he might be the smartest or the most charismatic, and sometimes there may be no particular reason. And while a guy might be the alpha in his social group, when he's inserted into a different social group with an already established social hierarchy that guy may not be the alpha.

I personally have several distinct social groups that I find myself in from day to day. In some of those social groups I think I'm pretty clearly the alpha, especially at work. I don't day that out of an inflated sense of ego or a need to be important. Simple observation can tell you if you're the alpha. When there's a decision to be made as or for the group, does your opinion seem to carry more weight than that of others? Will people gladly defer and allow you to make the decision for the group? Are you the social catalyst for the group? Does the groups social activity revolve around your schedule and social preferences? All basic clues, but honestly, it's usual very clear to everyone in the group whom the alpha is , even if it's not something that anyone in the group is actively thinking about.

But, I also run in several distinct social circles that where I'm clearly not the alpha. It's a fluid thing. All social groups function in this way, including female groups. Either you are the alpha in a particular group or you aren't. It's something that is sensed very innately by every member of the group almost immediately, without needing to be verbalized.

Now, there's also the very rare case of the guy that is always the alpha male in every social circle he finds himself in. These guys are exceedingly rare, if for no other reason than the fact that social dynamics can fluctuate greatly with cultural differences and education levels. Any of us may have met one or 2 people in our lives that can insert themselves in any social group and be clearly identified as the alpha by all members of the group. Guys that meet this criteria can be called AN alpha male. But that doesn't mean you're not THE alpha male in your social circle.

well....thats what i was gonna say haha