©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Light weight vs Heavy weight

IRONFIST

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Apr 20, 2007
always the interesting topic. would like to see comparisons on guys like -

Arnold
Yates
Levrone
Coleman
Culter
Ramy

we know ronnie was a powerlifter but what about the numbers for the other guys?

have always heard the talk of light weight for cutting, heavy weight for bulking. same like the drugs. never agreed with anything other then everyone is different!

ssdark1

Apr 12, 2018
Personally, it's an easy question for me to answer..moderate weight. I follow the mantra of "train don't strain"

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
I try to use both either in the week or in the same workout. I taper up the weight and go heavy then finish with pumps sets. In the summer I will train most body parts twice weekly using high and low rep ranges each time.

BG

Nov 17, 2013
In my experience its soley about the amount of stress put on the muscle. The heavy weights wear on my joints and now that im over 40... i see are not needed. im no where near as strong as i was in my late 20's but can hold more size than ever

ketsugo

Mar 1, 2005
Earth
Both increase size . Heavy weights by increasing fiber size . Increasing intensity by extending set through partials or rep tempo/ duration of set cause hyperplasia or fiber splitting . Past decade studies in Japan , Germany and USA have validated this . Never before did bodybuilding type studies confirm many of our old concepts and principles. Partials or cheat reps or strip sets , preexhaustion sets all fall into that. Since the body thrives on homeostasis, it makes sense to constantly change stimulation to avoid stale periods . Don’t get stuck doing same thing for months . Hence the term cycle or periodization. If it works great continue for while then change aspects go back to it again . I personally have a rotation as change is the only consistent principle I employ . Age 52 B.B. and martial arts over 30 years. Can’t live without.