©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Mri results

bigpoppie

Mar 24, 2012
Not sure what section so sorry if i chose poorly. I have had serious shoulder and knee pain and got an mri on one shoulder. Here are the results. Can anyone decipher this?

Marrow edema of the distal clavicle, out of proportion to the acromion, concerning for distal clavicular osteolysis; in absence of relevant clinical history, other differential considerations may include hyperparathyroidism and inflammatory arthropathy.

FINDINGS: There is flat undersurface of the acromion. Coracoacromial ligament is within normal limits. There is marrow edema of the distal clavicle. Rotator cuff muscles and tendons are within normal limits. Long head of the biceps tendon is within normal limits. Evaluation of glenoid labrum is limited without intra-articular contrast, articular cartilage and glenoid labrum are within normal limits

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
The findings themselves can be ambiguous without context. What symptoms were you having that lead to you getting an MRI?

The term "marrow edema" can mean several things. It can be an indication of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and also tendon insertional calcification.

What has your doctor said about it?

bigpoppie

Mar 24, 2012
Wont see the doc again until next month.

He just said my rotator felt week when i had the consult. Xrays didnt really show anything. Severe pain when bench pressing got much worse this past summer. Lying on the couch i can't lift something off the coffee table. Hedge trimming above my head is excruciating after5 - 10 minutes.

My knees he said something about patella tendon. When lying on my back it hurts if he pushes them. Stairs and walking hurt badly let alone training them. I lost all gains from my last run and dirty went out window from frustration.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Wont see the doc again until next month.

He just said my rotator felt week when i had the consult. Xrays didnt really show anything. Severe pain when bench pressing got much worse this past summer. Lying on the couch i can't lift something off the coffee table. Hedge trimming above my head is excruciating after5 - 10 minutes.

My knees he said something about patella tendon. When lying on my back it hurts if he pushes them. Stairs and walking hurt badly let alone training them. I lost all gains from my last run and dirty went out window from frustration.

Did your doc give you any type of medication or therapy treatment?
You may have to wait a month and see what he specifically meant or maybe you could just call his office and leave a message that you would like to clarify some things.

bigpoppie

Mar 24, 2012
Just a script for anti inflammatory.
I have to start therapy yet. I generally don't have a lot of faith in that though.

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
Therapy most likely will not fully fix the issue but you will be surprised that it will help with mobility in the long run.

gotgame

Jan 1, 2013
the person who read your MRI didnt know you were a bodybuilder. Osteolysis of distal clavical is common in ppl who bench a lot.

Of course id include that as number one on my diff but cant exclude metabolic disorders like hyper para etc.

So what does that mean... get some blood work to exclude the latter and then no flat benching or shoulder work for a bit or you will make it much worse.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
the person who read your MRI didnt know you were a bodybuilder. Osteolysis of distal clavical is common in ppl who bench a lot.

Of course id include that as number one on my diff but cant exclude metabolic disorders like hyper para etc.

So what does that mean... get some blood work to exclude the latter and then no flat benching or shoulder work for a bit or you will make it much worse.

GREAT to see you here gotgame! If you guys aren't familiar with gotgame, he's someone that you want to listen to...we're lucky to have him here!!

gotgame

Jan 1, 2013
GREAT to see you here gotgame! If you guys aren't familiar with gotgame, he's someone that you want to listen to...we're lucky to have him here!!

thanks bio. I just popped over real quick to check out that testing thread and saw this post. ill try to pop in once in a while to look for medical threads if possible.

Racepicks

AnaSCI VIP
Jan 5, 2013
Another familiar "face" (name)!!! I agree 100% with Bio. Most of us look for his posts for answers regarding medical or therapeutic questions. Hope you stick around, gotgame!

bigpoppie

Mar 24, 2012

Thanks man
Unfortunately i hav given it some very long breaks over time. No dice on it working out.

gotgame

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks man
Unfortunately i hav given it some very long breaks over time. No dice on it working out.

It can take a LONG time. I know... i had it...

I once showed a pic in conf to residents and had them make a diagnosis... then i told them i was my x ray lol. I joked that you arent pushing your self hard enough in the gym unless you have distal clavicle resorption

It took me 1.5years to reverse it. Anything that is transmitting force across the AC joint is gonna do it. How i reversed it....ummm well.. umm.. i didnt work out for a year lol. I was an intern back then and i dropped about 40 lbs of muscle but my clavicle recovered.

You need to take some serious time off. take up cardio, legs, abs. some arm work.... but force across AC joint is just gonna keep that edema going. If you dont you will run into even more serious issues and have chronic pain.

gotgame

Jan 1, 2013
In addition to time off lets look at the underlying issues...its stress edema and osteolysis... soo you need to cut that off.

1. Remove the stress.

2. Stop the osteolysis.

3. Get that edema/inflammation down big time.

Since we are on an AAS forum ill try to offer some more help then just time off ( which i what i did)

IF i really had to try to come back fast from this id stop all upper body work for a few months. During that time id initially take a medrol dose pack and knock out the inflammation. yes you need inflammation for bone remodeling and recovery but dont worry ull still have that we just need to stop the process causing it.

After the medrol dose pack we work on controlling the inflammation and trying to build up the bone again. That can be done by using GH, Insulin, vitamin D and plenty of calcium.

Over 3 months this should make a huuuge diffference and have your bone back in place but still needs to be remodeled. At this point you can start working out again very lightly while still taking the above supps. however..immediately after each upper body workout you ice that area for 30 min and take two aleve. Limit upper body work to twice a week.

After another 2 months you can kick it up a notch and drop the supps and u dont need aleve anymore and but keep icing EVERY TIME for 30 min. Ice on skin, none of this towel BS.

That should help.

bigpoppie

Mar 24, 2012
So i got a steroid shot in the joint between my collar bone and some other. He said it and a couple more may work for a while but, ultimately will eventually need to shave the bone for a permanent fix.
I'm hoping therapy and stretching will help my patella tendons.