©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Need some "pro" advice ;-)

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Ok here goes..Guys, help me out on this one plse..I have a 5 day workout routine....Mon to Fri, and off Sat + Sun....I spoke to a chemist and she advised me to rather gym Mon+Tue....Wed off, Thu+Fri+Sat.....Sun off.
Reason for this is so my body can get better rest....She recons that when i train full for 5 days, and rest Sat+Sun, i wont grow as much as having 2 days on, 1 day off...2 days on...1 day off.....What do you think??

jabo1jabo1

Mar 3, 2005
Deep South
i think Mon, Wed, and Fri is plenty of time on the weights. your body grows while it is resting and fully recovered. more is not always better!!!!!

healthfreak

Jun 19, 2005
Robin Hood said:
Ok here goes..Guys, help me out on this one plse..I have a 5 day workout routine....Mon to Fri, and off Sat + Sun....I spoke to a chemist and she advised me to rather gym Mon+Tue....Wed off, Thu+Fri+Sat.....Sun off.
Reason for this is so my body can get better rest....She recons that when i train full for 5 days, and rest Sat+Sun, i wont grow as much as having 2 days on, 1 day off...2 days on...1 day off.....What do you think??

why would you talk to a chemists to advise you on workouts? she was giving you good advise though. personally I think it varys from person to person. some can workout everyday and recover fully. some people need extra rest. It all depends on diet, intensity, sleep etc. What I like to do is just take a day or two off when I feel the need. I dont like getting caught up in days and numbers. I just train at what feels right. generally I always switch my workout days up just to keep my body from adapting to the situation.

What you need to do is play around with it alitle bit, find out what will give you personally the best results for the time being and go with that. Then when gains start decreasing change it up. Theres not one way of doing this bro, there are tons. just experiment with it.

mandarb11

Oct 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
There are lots of ways to train, but the rule of thumb is the more rest the better. Some people train 1 day on 1 off, 3 days on 1 off, 5 days on 1 off... they all work but as healthfreak said, you have to change this up all the time in order to shock the system into growing. On my latest workout, I change up the entire routine (exercises, days etc) every third week. Feels great so far.

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
Like Mandarb said there is no correct answer.
Ill normally do the 2 days on 1 day off...

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
Robin Hood said:

Robinhood,
Hows your training split up? what exactly are your goals?
are you doing all the Basics..Squat,Deads,Bench,Rows etc?

haze324

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 5, 2006
I've trained DC's methon on a M-W-F and I also trained 5 days a week, but when I trained 5 days a week I was doing a total of 6 sets per workout so i was in and out of the gym in 30 minutes. I got plenty of rest. I also did Big A's 3 day split. For me less is more - but intensity is key.

What's your workout look like days and exercises.

menzies2901

Jul 15, 2004
at the Gym or pool
IMO i used to train everyday and rest Sat and Sun, until this board described a routine where you train 1 major and 1 minor (assisting) muscle group 1 day and rest the next. This was against most of my advice in previous routines, but i thought i will give it a go and judge the results as you know BB is an experimental sport, What works for one won't necessary work for another.

They also explained that the nervous system requires rest to enable full potiental of growth. I tried this and found that my body responded extremely well.

This is the way i currently work out.....i haven't plateau yet, but when i do i will change the routine....

2RIIPPED

Sep 29, 2005
yeah I agree about more rest is better, I seem to have better results from doing every other day workouts. Doing Monday Upper body muscles, Wednesday Lower body, Friday Different upper body muscles. This has been the foundation of my routine for quite some time, changing the lifts and sets and reps up about every 8 weeks or so. I used to train doing every day workouts changing my routines up from 3 days on 1 off and 4 on 1 off. I used this for several years and didn't notice great strength or weight gains compared to the every other day workout, it was like night and day between the two. This was all while consuming close to the same diets. So to each his own!

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Thanks for all the advice fellas...

Thx guys.......will try figure something out...Reason for those asking why i asked the chemist.....well.......she's the one that give me my juice ;-)

Cryptasm

Mar 3, 2006
I used BigA's routine for 6 mos last year and made good gains..but to change things up I went back to old style training (real old) Full Body workouts 3 x pw, all heavy compund movements, no isolation exersicises at all...I get it done in les than an hour, and do 2 sets per bodypart to compleete failure on second set...all old basic tried and true mass building movvements..making great progress even though I had to do some body detoxing during the last 4 weeks where my cals were low..but now they are kicked back up and I see progress every week. So every week my body parts get hit 3 times, it worked back in the 50's and 60's before juice...and it still works today..
(KISS- Keep it simple stupid) is my motto

Last edited:

imdaman1

AnaSCI VET
Mar 31, 2004
USA
Cryptasm said:
I used BigA's routine for 6 mos last year and made good gains..but to change things up I went back to old style training (real old) Full Body workouts 3 x pw, all heavy compund movements, no isolation exersicises at all...I get it done in les than an hour, and do 2 sets per bodypart to compleete failure on second set...all old basic tried and true mass building movvements..making great progress even though I had to do some body detoxing during the last 4 weeks where my cals were low..but now they are kicked back up and I see progress every week. So every week my body parts get hit 3 times, it worked back in the 50's and 60's before juice...and it still works today..
(KISS- Keep it simple stupid) is my motto

This is basically the same routine I am using now. But I occasionally do a little isolation stuff whenever I'm feeling lazy. lol