©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Needing to bring out my Lats

jixxxer

Jul 23, 2018
Really needing to bring out my Lats for a wider back shot. I think i may be cursed genetically in that area but any help is appreciated.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Pics help. What kind of training are you doing now? What does your split look like? Body fat percentage? Need details in order to help you out.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
vogel-pulls google it

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G23YjaWM4lY[/ame]

Is this guy doing them right? I’ve never heard of them before, but what he’s doing looks like it would be much more of a lower back exercise than a lat exercise. I can see some lat engagement, but that looks like it could be really dangerous on the lumbar spine. I can only think that maybe he’s doing them wrong? Dunno.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Also, do a few sets of across bench dbell pullovers before and after chinning...

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
DB pullovers are such a fuckin staple they often get overlooked.

I’ve never been able to get pullovers to work any muscle except my pectorals. How do I need to modify them to get them to target the lats instead? This has always befuddled me.

montego

Feb 19, 2018
I don't really see anything that would make that "Vogel pull" more effective then a regular old row..... It looks like it would provide a good stretch but just hanging will stretch the lats.

The main focus on any back movement should be full stretch at the bottom/top of the movement and driving the elbows back/down as far as possible.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
I don't really see anything that would make that "Vogel pull" more effective then a regular old row..... It looks like it would provide a good stretch but just hanging will stretch the lats.

The main focus on any back movement should be full stretch at the bottom/top of the movement and driving the elbows back/down as far as possible.

The horizontal vogel pull that they show had more of a stretch then the row witch you know will give you a nice wide cobra back- our you can do the rows and strech that back in between sets.
Just my way of looking at it- not to say I am right

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
you want the full range in an exercise, also pushes a shit ton of blood in

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
Back in the old days we would do high rep breathing squats supersetted with across bench pullovers...for example I would 20 reps with 225 supersetted with across bench dbell pullovers for 20 reps with a 50 lb dbell for 3 sets with very little rest between sets...my rib cage dramatically improved over the summer of 83 doing these one day a week...then on back day doing 3 sets of wide grip chins for 15 reps supersetted with 15 reps across bench pullovers with a 60 lb dbell...back in the day body part awards were given at meets and I won best back a few times...

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
Lighten the weight and make sure the late are being targeted as much as possible. Get that connection then up the weight gradually. I would recommend db pullovers, pulls ups (slow negatives), wide grip lat pulldowns, cable rows pulling the elbows back and inwards as far as possible.

thumos

Aug 20, 2018
Normally I advocate full ROM, but in vertical pulls, from 90 degrees down shows to hit lats hard while top half emphasizes lower traps. Might try some bottom half partials of vertical compound movements.