©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Once the needle is all the way inside the body, aspirate by pulling the plunger back

carolinatug

Jun 6, 2006
I understand that, but just to be sure how far back should the plunger be pulled? Not too dumb a question i hope! Thanks guys

healthfreak

Jun 19, 2005
max lift said:
not much at all an 1/16 of an inch should be enough to make sure you are not in a vein,

yah just wait till there is some tiny bubbles coming back up.

trainhard

Oct 27, 2006
Veins are on the surface of our skin basically. So if your going in an inch+ then your not going to be blasting into a vein. Especially when you have really low body fat and your veins are surely right on the surface. I find that i do not aspirate often at all and have been blasting for 4+ years now. So i know it is a good rule of thumb to aspirate, but i never see my doctors aspirate when getting a flu shot or tetnis shot or anything. And the last time i asked my doctor (well nurse) about this and she said that when your going an inch+ intramuscular it isnt always necessary to aspirate.. she then of course smiled and said "now, why do you want to know that i wonder" haha.. beautiful woman by the way.

bigrond

Nov 11, 2006
east coast(usa)
always aspirate dont play with your health i pull about .5 ml back when i see bubble not blood im good i have pulled blood though shooting my qaud and thatwas with 1.5" needle all the way in the blood instantly filled the syringe when i aspirated and there was some pain when i poked the needle in so i squirted out the blood and stuck in a diffrent spot all was good

alan1973

Nov 30, 2006
trainhard said:
Veins are on the surface of our skin basically. So if your going in an inch+ then your not going to be blasting into a vein. Especially when you have really low body fat and your veins are surely right on the surface. I find that i do not aspirate often at all and have been blasting for 4+ years now. So i know it is a good rule of thumb to aspirate, but i never see my doctors aspirate when getting a flu shot or tetnis shot or anything. And the last time i asked my doctor (well nurse) about this and she said that when your going an inch+ intramuscular it isnt always necessary to aspirate.. she then of course smiled and said "now, why do you want to know that i wonder" haha.. beautiful woman by the way.
really now.
the flu shot is water based and does not need to be aspirated. many shots the doc gives ya are SubQ so you would never need to aspirate.
I used a 1" and have aspirated blood. so what do i do?
I squeeze a bit of the blood on a sterile cloth, sterilize the needle and a new injection spot. inject, aspirate again.
the reason why I push out some of the blood is to make it easier to see if you are aspirating blood the second time. but this is because i am cheap and reuse the needle for this one injection, many folks would just replace the needle with a fresh sharp one.