©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Pec strain

joh9356

Aug 19, 2013
Treetops and caves
I have been focusing on pecs a bit lately, and was pressing pretty bad numbers (one of my weakest links). I started out pressing 86lbs a while back, and I am pressing 150lbs now on my sets now during my rotations throughout the weeks.

I have noticed lately though that deep in my left pec, it gets worn out easily. Two days ago, against my better judgment, I was going through my last set, and even though I could feel it getting painful, i pushed the rest of the set anyway. Well, I am hurting now. Small certain movements cause shooting pain in that specific area. Not intolerable, but painful nonetheless.

I am currently on a cycle, and I have been supplementing Glucosamine with Chondroitin regularly.

My question, how long should I wait before targeting that area again? Until the pain goes completely away and just focus on other groups for now? What is your suggestions?

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I have been focusing on pecs a bit lately, and was pressing pretty bad numbers (one of my weakest links). I started out pressing 86lbs a while back, and I am pressing 150lbs now on my sets now during my rotations throughout the weeks.

I have noticed lately though that deep in my left pec, it gets worn out easily. Two days ago, against my better judgment, I was going through my last set, and even though I could feel it getting painful, i pushed the rest of the set anyway. Well, I am hurting now. Small certain movements cause shooting pain in that specific area. Not intolerable, but painful nonetheless.

I am currently on a cycle, and I have been supplementing Glucosamine with Chondroitin regularly.

My question, how long should I wait before targeting that area again? Until the pain goes completely away and just focus on other groups for now? What is your suggestions?

No one is going to be able to directly answer this because -

1. We don't know where the strain resides, as in- if it's within the muscle or the tendon?

2. We don't know the severity of the strain, it's possibly a tear or a simple pull.

3. We can't tell how it feels, only you gauge your recovery and progress.

What I can say is... DONT STRETCH IT! Massage is going to really help, also heat and active recovery will speed up the healing process and cut down on potential scar tissue.

joh9356

Aug 19, 2013
Treetops and caves
Enigmatic,

No problem, I see what your saying, and the response is exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely not stretch it, and my wife is a massage therapist, so I will do some begging tonight.

The pain seems to reside more along the ribcage under the pec going down towards external upper oblique, so I am kind of guessing it is more musculoskeletal.

I'll keep an eye on it and keep training other groups away from that area.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Enigmatic,

No problem, I see what your saying, and the response is exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely not stretch it, and my wife is a massage therapist, so I will do some begging tonight.

The pain seems to reside more along the ribcage under the pec going down towards external upper oblique, so I am kind of guessing it is more musculoskeletal.

I'll keep an eye on it and keep training other groups away from that area.

It could also be a serratus anterior strain as well??? Does it hurt to bring your hands behind your head ?

joh9356

Aug 19, 2013
Treetops and caves
@Enigmatic

Yes sir, I believe that is where it is localized. I am feeling much better, but am still focusing on keeping away from that area in the meantime....

joh9356

Aug 19, 2013
Treetops and caves
What is interesting is that I have had all the warning signs that this would happen. I was checking out a website that goes over wrist, finger, and hand pain, and one of the symptoms of numb pinky fingers at night is weak serratus anterior muscles. I have been having numbness in my pinkies at night for some time now.

Knowledge is power