©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

protein question

boyd1on

Sep 23, 2013
Oh yes... I always have heated discussions with my sister she's an RN the cap she belives.... shit. She says no matter what you only need 50-60 grams of protein a day regardless.... how effing stupid

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
At times, I can sit down and eat a whole rotisserie chicken and a half gallon of milk. I am sure my body tells me when it needs protein and processes it as it needs to. I don't believe in any hard and fast rule as to how much the human body can absorb at once.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Two words you all need to understand if you don't already "gastric emptying" this is a very important concept to understand and have a grasp of and all of the mediating pathways around this process- I don't feel like doing a long write up-

But actually back in the day Layne and myself became well aquatinted with concept from Caleb the owner of mindandmuscle.net that board was the holy grail of info..

Just finished doing some Google searching, and all I could really find is info on how the radioactive test for gastric emptying is done. Couldn't find any info on how it relates to protein digestion or utilization. Is there anywhere u can link to that might give a good explanation of the relationship, or expand further on the topic?

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Just finished doing some Google searching, and all I could really find is info on how the radioactive test for gastric emptying is done. Couldn't find any info on how it relates to protein digestion or utilization. Is there anywhere u can link to that might give a good explanation of the relationship, or expand further on the topic?

Layne pretty much explains the concept in his video. The nuts and bolts of it is that based on a series of enzymatic feed back signals to the pancreas and stomach, thus regulating the release of stomach contents via pyloric sphincter- then onto the duodenum for further enzymatic breakdown-

Now what does this all actually mean-? Well in short the body is highly efficient at utilizing food. The body will actually "store" the food in the stomach and the duodenum if the small intestine is not ready to process/ absorb an inflow of nutrients.

Your body will not waste the protein, it will slow down the digestive process in order to make sure it's fully broken down and absorbed in the small intestine.

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/stomach/emptying.html

Last edited:

robertscott

Dec 17, 2012
Layne pretty much explains the concept in his video. The nuts and bolts of it is that based on a series of enzymatic feed back signals to the pancreas and stomach, thus regulating the release of stomach contents via pyloric sphincter- then onto the duodenum for further enzymatic breakdown-

Now what does this all actually mean-? Well in short the body is highly efficient at utilizing food. The body will actually "store" the food in the stomach and the duodenum if the small intestine is not ready to process/ absorb an inflow of nutrients.

Your body will not waste the protein, it will slow down the digestive process in order to make sure it's fully broken down and absorbed in the small intestine.

Control of Gastric Emptying

could you link the video please?

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Oh yes... I always have heated discussions with my sister she's an RN the cap she belives.... shit. She says no matter what you only need 50-60 grams of protein a day regardless.... how effing stupid
She's probably talking about the needs of a sedentary adult female and thinking it applied to men too..

Last edited:

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
She's probably talking about the needs of a sedentary adult female and thinking it applied to men too..

There's still a lot of nutritional dogma in the medical community left over from decades of back room political favors and bribery. The lobbyists for the farming/grain industry have been using their money to get politicians to influence the medical community to set nutritional standards since the 50's.

Add to that the latest round of low fat diet bullshit from the 80's and 90's and you've got millions of healthcare workers that were educated and trained to believe nutritional guidelines that have been proven not to work by every medical study that's ever been conducted. The science proves time and time again that low fat/high carb/low protein diets do not promote low body fat levels, healthy weight loss, or even generally healthy metabolism. But, thanks to political corruption, the medical community bastardized the science and drank the kool-aid, and we're left with 70 years of misinformation that was drilled into the heads of everyone that ever went into the medical field. I'm not blaming them, because it's truly not their fault. They went to college to learn and get a degree, but along the way they were unknowingly indoctrinated into a cult. The truth was intentionally kept from them, and pushed aside. Scientists that dared to speak the truth(based on evidence from their own scientific nutritional research) were marginalized, ostracized, and in some cases even had their entire careers ruined. All because they wanted to make the truth known. But no one wanted to hear a truth that went against 7 decades of popular belief.

I feel that as a country we're just not crawling out from under the blanket of nutritional ignorance that was cast over us so many decades ago. And as maligned as the bodybuilding community has been for the last 20 years or so, it turns out that we were/are leading the way for healthy nutritional habits and dietary information. Who woulda thought a bunch of dumb meatheads knew more about nutrition than the established medical community all along? Good on ya, bros.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Two words you all need to understand if you don't already "gastric emptying" this is a very important concept to understand and have a grasp of and all of the mediating pathways around this process- I don't feel like doing a long write up-

But actually back in the day Layne and myself became well aquatinted with concept from Caleb the owner of mindandmuscle.net that board was the holy grail of info..

par deus....you know if Caleb is still around? I always enjoyed reading his material.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
par deus....you know if Caleb is still around? I always enjoyed reading his material.

Not sure what ever happened to those guys on the board.. I was pretty close with a lot of the guys but for a long time I got away from bb'ing and into MMA and when I came back around most the guys and the feel of the board had shifted.

That board and the old CEM- were the holy grail of knowledge and cutting edge into. I don't know of any other board like it anymore.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Not sure what ever happened to those guys on the board.. I was pretty close with a lot of the guys but for a long time I got away from bb'ing and into MMA and when I came back around most the guys and the feel of the board had shifted.

That board and the old CEM- were the holy grail of knowledge and cutting edge into. I don't know of any other board like it anymore.

Yea, for the first few years, they had a good thing going on that board. Same with CEM....man, I miss Nandi, he was a God of info. He is surely missed...HUGELY.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Not trying to hijack the thread...but I have seen some of the same stuff on other boards like Enigmatic talks about..the feeling if a board shifting in other directions. What I like about this place is the absence of the high drama I see on others. I hope it stays this way. I've yet to see a mod be forced to ban someone for being stupid.. for the most part. That was a weekly thing on a couple of the others I used to frequent.

Last edited:

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
There was a guy at work stalking shit about how the body knows how much protein / fat and carbs it needs.

"You just shit out the rest". As he claims. That being said, if the body was so meticulous about food intake, why are people obese? Why are there monsters like Phil Heath running around. Bottom line is, nobody knows the "real answer". We can only go by what has been documented. If Ronnie Coleman ate 8,000 cals a day and of those cals, he happened to eat 400g of protein, then the body must be absorbing most of it. Or he would be taking enormous and albeit, very expensive shits.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
People are obese for the same reason some peoples bank accounts are so big-

Just like money that we store away when not needed, so does the body do so with calories. Up until 100 years ago or so- there was no real refrigeration or long term food storage. So you have to realize the bodies ability to store energy is one of our greatest survival mechanisms.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
I know this isn't really inline what with is being asked here, but I believe that there were studies done (Yeah, yeah, I'm going to look for links to them, duh) that in some instances, an over abundance of protein (over abundance being individual in nature as are most things) seemed to make the body more efficient in digesting and breaking down the protein, but all that 'work' seemed to either inhibit or slow the body's protein synthesis. Damn, I have to look for that shit. Came out earlier in 2014. I can't remember half of the shit people tell me, but I'll remember that crap. Stay tuned.
Grim

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I know this isn't really inline what with is being asked here, but I believe that there were studies done (Yeah, yeah, I'm going to look for links to them, duh) that in some instances, an over abundance of protein (over abundance being individual in nature as are most things) seemed to make the body more efficient in digesting and breaking down the protein, but all that 'work' seemed to either inhibit or slow the body's protein synthesis. Damn, I have to look for that shit. Came out earlier in 2014. I can't remember half of the shit people tell me, but I'll remember that crap. Stay tuned.
Grim
That's one I'd really like to read if u can find it.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Grim

Probably has to do with the upregulation of the pancreatic enzyme pepsin that help break down proteins within the stomach and upper gastrointestinal tract.

Another point to take into consideration when looking at the issue of digestion and gastric emptying is the total / overall hydrogen atom concentration of the slurry that's entering the duodenum. The hormone "secretin" is released by the "s cells" in response to high ph and in turn slows gastric emptying and stimulates the pancreatic ductal cells to initiate the feedback mechanism between the stomach and pancreas to meet the demand of gastric juices needed for appropriate digestion of stomach contents.

This may have something to do with the study you're talking about Grim

Steve123

Oct 16, 2013
I'm not a molecular biologist or anything but I've read quite a bit on this. This topic is one where people are all over the map as far as right and wrong is concerned. On one hand you have old school doctors who think everyone needs exactly 50 grams a day - doesn't matter if they are a 275 NFL Tight End or a 85 pound Geriatric patient in a nursing facility.

On the other end you have the bodydbuiling community who feel that everyone needs about 500 grams per day or they will shrivle up and blow away in the wind.

Like many things in life, my guess is that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Personally, 1 gram to maybe 1.5g per pound of LEAN weight always seems like a winner to me.

Once your requirement is met, more protein is useless and come at the expense of Carbs which are far more metabolically active. \

Just my pennies here.