©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Small business owners

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
I'm thinking about opening up a liquor store. I've been trying to do some research on possible income. I know income will vary greatly depending on location. I plan on being owner/operator. Any words of advice? The store would be located in south carolina

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I spent a couple months researching the exact same thing. Initial investment can be quite high.

Have plenty of cash on hand. At least enough to sustain you and the business through the first 18, and preferably 24, months.

Pick you're clientele and plan inventory accordingly. People think liquor stores are all the same, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. If you want to cater to the $10 30-pack crowd, there's not much reason to stock 20 cases of $50 a bottle French wine. Same for liquor. Do you want to be the go to place for hard to find, ultra premium aged rum? You can't be all things to all people. Know your target customer and what they want.

Check liquor, beer and wine laws in your areas. There's some weird laws out there. Don't assume they're straight forward, cuz they rarely are. There's usually a substantial number of hoops to jump through to get a license. Can you pass a serious background check? I'm talking about one done by the FBI? Even misdemeanors can disqualify u in my area.

Have you written out a business plan? Looked at real estate? Come up with any preliminary costs? Know where the money will come from? Applied for a business loan before? Know how to incorporate or file an LLC?

Explore tax laws related to liquor stores. There's a ton of them. According to my states laws, liquor stores are not legally allowed to lose money in a fiscal year, like other businesses are allowed to. You legally have to turn a profit or they WILL shut you down. That may have even been a federal law, can't remember off the top of my head.

Talk to a lawyer that has worked for a liquor store before, they can fill you in on a lot of little things that you never would have thought about.

Your employees WILL STEAL FROM YOU. it's a guarantee. I talked to over a dozen liquor store owners, from high end wine and spirits importers to beer stores and everything in between, and this was one of the biggest things they deal with. You have to plan for and accept a certain amount of it, while putting systems in place to keep it at a minimum. A little of it is to be expected, but if you can't keep it in check, they'll bleed you dry in a short time.

I'm still in the preliminary stages of planning, and not sure whether I'm going to go through with it. If done properly, a liquor store can make you a significant income. When done really well, they're pretty damn close to printing money. But, there's a lot of regulations and challenges to follow. Mess up and sell to a minor and you can be hurting quick, fast and in a hurry. it's got all the standard challenges of any other retail business, with a bunch more added on top. Good luck.

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
I'm pretty fortunate. My wife just opened up a tax, bookkeeping, payroll business. My mom is working for us. She has 20 + years experience. Our other preparers also have the same experience. I bought a 4,000 sq ft building to put the business in. We're currently collecting rent from 2 other businesses that are in our building. We just signed those papers last week on our current building. With that being said, my parents gave me a 1200 sq ft building which is about 8 miles from the building I just bought. The 1200 sq ft building is where I plan to put a liquor store at. I currently work a full time job at a hazardous chemical plant and make a really good salary but I work swing shift and I really want to open my own place

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
I've been around family owned small businesses my entire life. The area that that the building is in is a low income area, and old mill town. However, I think that a package store will do great there. It's a small knit community. The property values are rising and land is being developed constantly. I don't expect to get rich. I just want a decent income ($80,000) gross and to be able to be at home at night with my family and continue coaching my kids sports teams. Working nights is difficult when it comes to coaching and being at my kids sport events. The laws in my area is that liquor stores can not be opened past 7:00 pm.

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
Oh and yes I can pass background check. I'm not going to have any rent, so I'm food there. The customer base is going to be low income and I know the area quite well so I have a basic idea if what to expect. I want to offer beer, liquor, lotto, cigs. I've checked into my license and the biggest issue is I can have a church, school, or playground within 500 ft. I'm waiting on the county to verify the building is in compliance with that bc there is a church in the vicinity