©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

strain in muscle

gregdiesel

AnaSCI's Ivan Drago
Apr 3, 2005
hey bros... I do my traps/lats every friday. Last week doing a heavy pull down set I had some pain in what seemed my right tricep (in the rear) and into the lat. When I did my tricep training then this past wed it hurt like hell when I would pull down the heavy weight, then fine as I did the reps, then hurt when I let the weight up (on press downs). Tonight I went into do back and I couldn't even do pull-ups. I can bench just fine. All the deca I'm taking I'm suprised to be injured!! Should I just rest tri-s and back for a week???

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I'd take it easy for a few days by laying off the weights to see if it gets any better. Then try to start back with light weight. If it still hurts, visit the doc.

Nitrateman

Sep 26, 2005
I am a firm believer in rubber band stretches to isolate the source of an injury. Is there any hot spot that you can locate related to the injury. If so ice it 3 times a day for 10 minutes or so...sometimes a bag of frozen peas or corn works better than ice.

Nitrateman

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) for the first 48 hours minimum. Don't strain/stress the area again until you see a doctor or the pain subsides.

About 3 weeks ago while doing safety squat bar lunges I felt/hear a loud pop near my right hip/upper quad. It hurt like hell and I immediately walked the bar back to the rack. I thought my hip was dislocated or I'd torn my quad near the hip flexor. I quit the workout, iced it every 1.5-2 hours for 20-25 minutes while keeping it elevated. When not icing it I wrapped it w/ an ace bandage for compression, which made it more comfortable. It hurt when walking up stairs, sitting down/standing up, and even while walking. I also took motrin (800mg advil) 3x per day w/ food.

2 days later I saw an ortho, luckily the injury hadn't swollen up or bruised at all, and the pain had gone down some. He diagnosed it as a grade I muscle strain. Two days later the pain was barely noticable. I waited an extra week before doing squats or anything that incorporates quads (I still worked glutes/hams/low back/calves) and then went back to 100% and was fine, that is, until I re-injured a fixed hernia op on monday of last week. Now I'm out for 3 months minimum:(

Anyway--just ice it, rest, SEE A DOCTOR, rest, don't stress and keep us updated. Don't stretch it yet until you know what it is. If it is strained badly or something along those lines, stretching may not be a good idea. Find a good ortho and follow his advice.

HTH:)

EDIT: Sounds like it could be either a lat or shoulder injury after re-reading your post. Where is the pain concentrated, in your armpit area, upper back, or deep inside the delt? Could be a shoulder injury (pulldowns/pullups case a lot of internal rotation and put more stress on the small inner muscles of the delts than rowing). Does rowing w/ dumbells, low cable, chest supported row, etc. cause this discomfort?

Last edited:

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
BTW, how much deca are you using? I'm going to use it along w/ test enanthate for my next cycle after recovering from surgery for a hernia repair failure.

AFAIK, deca increases collagen synthesis and synovial fluid in joints, it doesn't prevent soft-tissue injuries. IMO most steroids will increase the chance of getting muscle pulls/strains/tears b/c the body's tendons just cannot seem to keep up with muscle strength gain.

DecaDude

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
AFAIK, deca increases collagen synthesis and synovial fluid in joints, it doesn't prevent soft-tissue injuries.

yep, and stacked w/ 50mg/EOD Stanozolol can actually causes tightness in connective tissues.

I've actually had something similar happen to me. As most know, I'm on a 500mg/wk Deca and 650Mg/wk Test. Cyp w/ 50mg/EOD Winny, myself.

I've noticed with pull downs that a wide grip can cause the tricept to engage. With heavy weights that can cause a problem for my shoulders. Furthermore it does nothing to isolate my lats. Soooo...

I preffer a shoulder width grip with palms in, elbow tight to the body. When pulling down I keep my body perfectly straight and don't lean back, as that would call the traps into action and resemble a rowing motion.

I found that my back arm/delt pain went away after staying away from pulldowns for a few days. Never happened again...

good luck, bro.

gregdiesel

AnaSCI's Ivan Drago
Apr 3, 2005
powermad said:
BTW, how much deca are you using? I'm going to use it along w/ test enanthate for my next cycle after recovering from surgery for a hernia repair failure.

AFAIK, deca increases collagen synthesis and synovial fluid in joints, it doesn't prevent soft-tissue injuries. IMO most steroids will increase the chance of getting muscle pulls/strains/tears b/c the body's tendons just cannot seem to keep up with muscle strength gain.

1g test e/500mg deca wk right now.

It feels like it's maybe deep in the rear upper lat, but it hard to isolate b/c sometimes it feels like it's the upper part of the rear of my tricep. Doesn't hurt to press or curl. Only pull downs/ups or any isolated lat exercise. Pulling down the bar to do tricep pressdowns hurts, but then the pressdowns are ok.

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
Probably just a strain in the upper back--scapular retractors, rhomboids, or something like that. I've had those upper back/trap strains that feel like they are super deep down in there and it sucks. I'm just basing this off my VERY limited anatomical knowledge.

Back injuries are hard to work around and I suggest you lay off movements that aggrevate the pain.

I'd also recommend seeing an ortho and getting a proper diagnosis. You don't want to mess around and end up tearing something by trying to soldier through the pain.

In the meantime take an anti inflammatory if you can and ice it. These things can go away/heal up real quick or, if ignored they can turn out to be a big problem. I know from experience--a strained left pec that would've sidelined me for 3-4 weeks MAX turned into a complete tear that sidelined me for 5-6 months.

DecaDude

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
In the meantime take an anti inflammatory

Just be careful with the dose of NSAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatories: eg:Ibuprofen) these along with high BP from Test. can lead to long nosebleeds...

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
I guess he could use some prednisone instead. Start out with 50mg per day and decrease the dose by 10mg every day until he's done. Just kidding.

I didn't know there was an interaction between test (if it causes the individual to suffer from hypertension) and ibuprofen. I wonder at what dose NSAIDs would be liekly to cause this phenomena?

In any case, if GregDeisel isn't having BP problems the Motrin should help him, or maybe he could use a natural anti-inflammatory(ies) such as quercetin or bromelain (which also acts as a digestive enzyme when you take it with food). ANyway, hope GD gets to feeling better.

gregdiesel

AnaSCI's Ivan Drago
Apr 3, 2005
I'm trying to change my sleeping habits. When I was a skinny fuck I slept on my stomach and it felt awesome. Now my pecs are way to big and I cant fold my arms b/c of my biceps so I sleep on my sides. When I flip to lay on the right it aggrivates the condition. I maxed out bench pressing w/o any problems or pain but I'm taking another week off of triceps/traps/lats to let it heal...

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
powermad said:
I know from experience--a strained left pec that would've sidelined me for 3-4 weeks MAX turned into a complete tear that sidelined me for 5-6 months.

That is a great cautionary tale for me to respect pain and not try to push through it.

MR .T

Jul 26, 2005
Ontario
tee said:
I'd take it easy for a few days by laying off the weights to see if it gets any better. Then try to start back with light weight. If it still hurts, visit the doc.

I agree 100%