©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Tribulus

welsh-beast84

Feb 1, 2005
uk
Have anyone had any expierence with them, as i suffer with too much acne from aas i wanna turn to something else and im thinking of turning to testosterone boosters, to help put on some muscle.

So is Tribulus any good and will it help put on some muscle with the correct diet and with patience?

Or will it be a waste of my time and money.

Last edited:
W

wolfyEVH

waste of cash....could "possibly" help aid in PCT recovery, but for depending on it to put on muscle, might as well eat dog food......you'll actually get nutritional value in that stuff..haha

JoshF56

Aug 6, 2005
wolfyEVH said:
might as well eat dog food......you'll actually get nutritional value in that stuff..haha
know this from personal experience wolfy? lol

Jaysonl1424

Nov 9, 2004
Tongkat Ali and Tribulus Terrestris in fairly large doses does a great job as a test booster......... it is not even in the same level as AAS.... some people actually use it year round weather it on cycle or off cycle...... good stuff

Last edited:

MR .T

Jul 26, 2005
Ontario
I tried it but I don't think it did anything for me. when I took it I didn't sleep all that well though.

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
I'll try to find the article I just read on tribulus, but it basically stated that although it will boost your labido, there are no proven studies that it will increase testosterone levels.

GearMan

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Australia
Tribulus in proper doses (several grams per day) can significantly elevate blood serum levels of free testosterone.

It does not mimic HCG in any way, and actually is more effective in the long-run due to it not stifling natural production... better yet, it actually has lasting effects at increasing test levels.

Combine this with Tongkat Ali, as Jayson above mentioned, and in similar doses, and you can have a quite potent test-boosting cocktail.

Key is to get ENOUGH in you, and at PURITY levels which are at least in the 97 - 99% purity range.

Most supplement companies sell inferior product purity, regardless of what their "dose" is. 500mgs of Trib is not always 500mgs of QUALITY Trib.

You must do your homework if you are planning on going the homeopathic method to building muscle... it can definitely be done.

Strongman

Jun 9, 2005
At Home
I have always used Tribulus and recently have added Tongkat Ali to my arsenal....They are excellent at helping to reduce suppression. Gearman is 100% correct. It is all in the potency and purity of the product.

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
Here's one article, I'll try to look for some more. All the articles and studies I've read show no proof of tribulus claims. I've used it twice, 2 different brands and no positive effects at all. Just my opinion. ;)

Tribulus Terrestris

Description:
Tribulus (puncture vine) is a vine that has been used as a general tonic (energy) and herbal treatment for impotence, but is found primarily in dietary supplements marketed for increasing testosterone levels in bodybuilders and power athletes.

Claims:

Increased testosterone production

Increased muscle mass/strength

Theory:
The idea behind tribulus is that it may increase testosterone levels indirectly by raising blood levels of another hormone, luteinizing hormone (LH). LH is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland and plays a role in regulating natural testosterone production and serum levels.

Scientific Support:
The active ingredient in tribulus is unknown, but is though to be a component known as furostanol saponins. There has been very little research conducted on the effectiveness of tribulus in elevating testosterone levels – the main claim made by body building products which contain the herb. In some cultures, the tribulus terrestris plant has been used as a "tonic" to in crease energy levels and treat sexual dysfunction (usually in males). In animals, tribulus may stimulate "mounting" behavior. Some European studies suggest that tribulus extract can increase testosterone levels 30-50% above baseline levels – but still well within the normal range. Unfortunately, however, these same studies also suggest a similar increase in estradiol levels – not exactly what the hardcore muscle builders should be interested in boosting

If tribulus extract does indeed elevate testosterone levels somewhat, but keeps them within normal ranges, it may be an effective supplement for individuals with reduced testosterone levels such as athletes at risk for overtraining syndrome and in those individuals on a prolonged low-calorie diet. It will not, however, cause you to start sprouting muscles from all parts of your body, as many body building mags would have you believe.

In one of the few well-controlled studies to examine the effects of tribulus terrestris on body composition and exercise performance looked at 15 resistance-trained males. Subjects received either a placebo or a large dose of tribulus (1.5mg per pound of body weight per day for 2 months). Results showed no changes in body weight, percentage fat, total muscle mass or muscle strength related to tribulus supplementation

Safety:
Although no significant side effects should be expected at doses of tribulus contained in commercial dietary supplements, animal studies have suggested the possibility of locomotor (muscle coordination) disturbances following ingestion of tribulus in high quantities. In sheep consuming tribulus plant for several months, neurological disease was characterized by an irreversible, asymmetrical, weakness of the hindlimbs.

Value:
Products containing tribulus are typically marketed to bodybuilders and athletes concerned with increasing muscle mass and strength. Although such products are typically combinations of ingredients which include tribulus, rather than tribulus alone, the scientific evidence for product effectiveness is typically lacking. At this time, Supplement Watch does not view tribulus extract (on its own) as a valuable dietary supplement for muscle building. As a support ingredient contained in a wider supplement blend, tribulus may provide some benefits to those individuals interested in maintaining testosterone levels in the normal range (overtrained athletes and dieters).

Dosage:
A typical dosage of 250-1500 mg of tribulus per day is fairly common. Be sure to choose an extract standardized for at least 30-45% steroidal saponins (furostanol).

References:
1. Antonio J, Uelmen J, Rodriguez R, Earnest C. The effects of Tribulus terrestris on body composition and exercise performance in resistance-trained males. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2000 Jun;10(2):208-15.
2. Arcasoy HB, Erenmemisoglu A, Tekol Y, Kurucu S, Kartal M. Effect of Tribulus terrestris L. saponin mixture on some smooth muscle preparations: a preliminary study. Boll Chim Farm. 1998 Dec;137(11):473-5.
3. Bourke CA. Hepatopathy in sheep associated with Tribulus terrestris. Aust Vet J. 1983 Jun;60(6):189.
4. Bourke CA. Staggers in sheep associated with the ingestion of Tribulus terrestris. Aust Vet J. 1984 Nov;61(11):360-3.
5. Duhan A, Chauhan BM, Punia D. Nutritional value of some non-conventional plant foods of India. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 1992 Jul;42(3):193-200.
6. Wu G, Jiang S, Jiang F, Zhu D, Wu H, Jiang S. Steroidal glycosides from Tribulus terrestris. Phytochemistry. 1996 Aug;42(6):1677-81.
7. Xu YX, Chen HS, Liang HQ, Gu ZB, Liu WY, Leung WN, Li TJ. Three new saponins from Tribulus terrestris. Planta Med. 2000 Aug;66(6):545-50.
8. Yan W, Ohtani K, Kasai R, Yamasaki K. Steroidal saponins from fruits of Tribulus terrestris. Phytochemistry. 1996 Jul;42(5):1417-22[

stealthmeister

Sep 9, 2005
Up North
Great post Steel!! Some good info. there and backed up by the refs in the article. I don't think I'll be throwing any cash away on tribulus any time soon. I know I've said it before, but again.....there are a lot of misleading claims in the supplements industry and when it comes down to real gains, people are better off with even low dose AAS for better gains, cheaper and fewer side effects than high dose unproven supplements. Not that I'm promoting AAS use ;)

Last edited:

GearMan

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Australia
That post also makes my point here:

(Dosage:
A typical dosage of 250-1500 mg of tribulus per day is fairly common. Be sure to choose an extract standardized for at least 30-45% steroidal saponins)

For good results a person needs to use several grams per day... not 250 - 1500mgs !

More like 3 - 4 grams per day... and not standardized at a measly 30-40% purity as this article suggest (and unfortunately this is what most supplement companies get theirs at because it is vastly cheaper than the 97 - 99% purity I suggest, because of their lust for profit margins)

This, in conjunction with adding a nice dose of Tongkat Ali in the 300:1 condensed ratio, and in the same 3-4 grams per day... WILL absolutely yield great results, despite what that article suggests. I have SEEN quite a few bodybuilders grow nice muscles using exactly this cocktail over the years.

I have over a quarter century as a source, and as a trainer of juiced, and natural athletes as well who have used this on my recommendation only to have great results, both in practice, and when testing their blood serum levels.

You must read into these posts carefully to extract the truth from them.

The average reader who reads that post will assume then that Trib cannot help your bodybuilding efforts, when in fact once the actual truth be known, it is quite misleading.

Trib, Tongkat Ali and other natural substances like Arginine, Ornithine, Lysine, Tryptophan and others can significantly aide a bodybuilder to achieve their goals.

We must got off that "only steroids will do it" mentality... it just isn't so!

Last edited:

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
No disrespect GearMan, but I never implied that "only steroids will do it". I take many other substances other than gear to help me reach my goals. When I add up the money I spend in gear, natural supps, supplies, memberships and everything else that goes in to this lifestyle, I just don't have the money to throw around on products that may or may not work. Personally for the research I have done on tribulus plus the 2 times I have taken it, there's not enough evidence to convince me it has any body building worth other than boosting the labido. All the searches I did on the subject supported increased sex drives and backed it up with clinical studies. When I searched for studies where it increased test levels, all I got back was companies trying to market it that way with no studies to back it up. Again, this is just my opinion.

GearMan said:
That post also makes my point here:

(Dosage:
A typical dosage of 250-1500 mg of tribulus per day is fairly common. Be sure to choose an extract standardized for at least 30-45% steroidal saponins)

For good results a person needs to use several grams per day... not 250 - 1500mgs !

More like 3 - 4 grams per day... and not standardized at a measly 30-40% purity as this article suggest (and unfortunately this is what most supplement companies get theirs at because it is vastly cheaper than the 97 - 99% purity I suggest, because of their lust for profit margins)

This, in conjunction with adding a nice dose of Tongkat Ali in the 300:1 condensed ratio, and in the same 2-3 grams per day... WILL absolutely yield great results, despite what that article suggests.

I have over a quarter century as a source, and as a trainer of juiced and natural athletes as well who have used this on my recommendation only to have great results, both in practice, and when testing their blood serum levels.

You must read into these posts carefully to extract the truth from them.

The average reader who reads that post will assume then that Trib cannot help your bodybuilding efforts, when in fact once the actual truth be known, it is quite misleading.
Trib, Tongkat Ali and other natural substances like Arginine, Ornithine, Lysine, Tryptophan and others can significantly aide a bodybuilder to achieve their goals.

We must got off that "only steroids will do it" mentality... it just isn't so!

GearMan

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Australia
That's OK there SteelAddiction... I was not implying anything with my comment that it was you that had that mentality, only that in bodybuilding these days there is far too much emphasis on steroids, when there is, in fact, alot of supplements that were used successfully by many athletes that can, and do work to help build muscle... Trib is one of them.

Tongkat Ali is yet another...and even much better one, I might add.

It is all in the dosing and purity!

I was just trying to add some information for the readers.

Take care,

G-man

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
It's debates like this that we can all benefit from. Maybe I will give it another try in my next PCT. Do you have any more info on Tongkat Ali?

GearMan said:
That's OK there SteelAddiction... I was not implying anything with my comment that it was you that had that mentality, only that in bodybuilding these days there is far too much emphasis on steroids, when there is, in fact, alot of supplements that were used successfully by many athletes that can, and do work to help build muscle... Trib is one of them.

Tongkat Ali is yet another...and even much better one, I might add.

It is all in the dosing and purity!

I was just trying to add some information for the readers.

Take care,

G-man