©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Upper middle chest development ?

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Anyone have any good tips about how to develop a specific part of your chest? Specifically the center of your upper pectorals, pic attached for reference. This is a part of my chest that I just can’t seem to ever develop, no matter what I do. Is there a genetic component to it, maybe? Is it the last part of the chest to really develop? I don't know, and nothing I’ve read anywhere else has ever worked.

Attachments

• 970E616C-F86D-4992-92DE-DE71A191F9A0.jpeg
    970E616C-F86D-4992-92DE-DE71A191F9A0.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 130

bruiser

Jan 3, 2013
Those side one arm hammer presses as well as one arm pec dec sitting side ways with palms down

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Is that you?
Thats genetics man
You can see the hole or empty space in the upper chest in the pic because the upper chest is will developed. Not many get an upper chest that good.
The only thing you could do to make that chest any better
Heavy weight?
Full reps up and down
Stretching inbetween sets
Synthol?
Ok
It comes down to genetics
I dont have that space any more because my upper chest is flat as all hell. My stomach is bigger them my chest
Look at my past pictures

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
1 exersise that is cool for upper chest is - you spred your hand way apart and Lower the bar to right under your adams apple- high reps - low low weight.
They say reverse grip bench works more on upper chest then incline

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
No, just a pic I pulled off the web. If I looked like that I wouldn’t be asking.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
I will try to find the link on pm in 2006
I had a little stupid debate on this exact thing
They trashed me hard there

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
Those side one arm hammer presses as well as one arm pec dec sitting side ways with palms down

Genetics will always be a big factor. Some can do standard chest exercises and get a big chest top to bottom. There are things you can do to try to hit certain areas more though. Any high chest press or fly with full range of motion and squeezing at the top will work. Cable machines are very good for this and hammer presses pushing high would be excellent. You can do the same with db's. Try to get stronger in all incline exercises as well.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
Genetics will always be a big factor. Some can do standard chest exercises and get a big chest top to bottom. There are things you can do to try to hit certain areas more though. Any high chest press or fly with full range of motion and squeezing at the top will work. Cable machines are very good for this and hammer presses pushing high would be excellent. You can do the same with db's. Try to get stronger in all incline exercises as well.

I agree. I like db hammer presses and you push the db's together as you press upwards. You could also do plate presses as a good finishing move. Sully you could do either pushing high or on an incline bench.

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
ECG studies show a slight decline press actually engages more upper chest fibers then any other angle, but it goes against gym dogma.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I think the angle of the press is more important that the angle of the bench but both can be big factors. An example could be the many guys who arch their back so much on incline presses that it's turns into a flat bench press.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
ECG studies show a slight decline press actually engages more upper chest fibers then any other angle, but it goes against gym dogma.

Yup, I’ve read those studies, as well. I usually start my workout with decline dumbbell press. Gonna add in some decline reverse grip bench to go along with it.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
Yup, I’ve read those studies, as well. I usually start my workout with decline dumbbell press. Gonna add in some decline reverse grip bench to go along with it.

In the week I try to do an incline, decline and flat bench movement. You could do a decline, incline and some hammer presses in 1 day. I would recommend 2 chest days with lower volume incorporating everything mentioned in this thread.

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
Heavy incline db and barbell presses. With db's bring them in at the top of the rep.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
I haven't done incline presses or any presses in a long time (years)...Shoulders kill too much now and never bothered to follow through on the rotator cuff surgery.

Chest was always my strongest point but when I do actually train now only doing flies (cable and bench flat/incline)...That the sides and lower pec flair but I've never been able to get the pop at the collar bones back.

Add in those heavy incline pressing movements and that upper pec area is going to pop!

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
There defiantly is exercises to zero in on upper chest. This video has three of them. But the first he does is the one I was thinking of and why I'm posting the vid. I do these and they work. Please don't discard the value based on the size of the guy doing them.

[ame]https://youtu.be/IQsaUPISXOs[/ame]

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Another great one is call a Trifecta Rep. Set the bench at a 12 inch incline.
Every (single) rep has three parts to it.
1 REP= 2 Half REPS and then 1 complete rep.

So each rep looks like this"

1 half rep
2 half rep
3 Full rep = 1 rep

So in your head while doing them you would count out 1/2/1 then 1/2/2 then 1/2/3 then 1/2/4 and so on.

As you burn down and can't get any more go for just doing full range reps. I can normally get a couple more this way. Honestly IMO there is no more left in the tank if you do these correctly. If your chest isn't growing doing these there's a problem.

Last edited: