©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What is a good "Rest" phase??

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Hi friends...I was trying to work out a good REST phase..I train 5 days a week from head to toe......Now my question is..When would you say, is a goot time to rest??..I mean...ie Train solid for 2 months, and take 2 weeks off??...thereby giving the BODY...a rest period??
A lot of guys train their arms lets say once a week, thereby giving the ARMS a 1 week rest period.....But what about the BODY itself??

tia ;-)

Last edited:

vulcan

Dec 5, 2005
It really depends on how you feel and what signals your body is giving you.It also depends on your diet and rest. If you feel like you need a rest after two or three months of intense training...then take a week or two off. It will do you good.
If you still feel strong and well rested after a couple of months, then keep training...you're muscles will still grow.
Personally, I train five days a week and take the weekends off. I eat good six days a week and eat whatever I want on Sunday. I take one week off after every three months. I just do what feels right to me. :D

P

pincrusher

i occassionally take a wek or 2 off but for the most part all i do is change up how i workout. i will go low reps with heavy weight for 2 months or so then switch to a lesser weight and medium reps around 12-15 range for about 3 weeks. this gives my body a good rest period without taking time off totally from the gym and risking loosing some gains.

dump truck

Feb 11, 2005
This is a subject that no one will agree on. Pins way of training is good but I recommend 6 weeks on 1 week off to let your body repair.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
dump truck said:
This is a subject that no one will agree on. Pins way of training is good but I recommend 6 weeks on 1 week off to let your body repair.
Even though I don't follow this advice. I think it is more than reasonable.

I just don't have the discipline, but maybe this is the year to start.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
DragonRider said:
I might take one week off a year. There is plenty of time to rest when your dead. Between now and then, you owe it to yourself to be as big as you can be.
lolololol...Good one DR......ill make a note of that ;-))

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
dump truck said:
Well mate ...youll be suprised.....i think you have a point there. I can say with all honesty, that during this festive season, i took of 2 weeks, and when i got back to the gym, i def was stronger...although my stamina was a bit on the weak side...

Bizarro

Oracle's my Mod
Aug 16, 2004
Toxic Dump
Robin Hood, great post on a topic where there is very little discussion. I think "rest" has more components than simply time off for the gym. Specifically, the rest we get in the evening and how restful it actually is -- many people have sleep problems and arent aware of it. Sleep has 4 phases (latter phases encompass deep REM sleep). It is possible to miss out on late phases, get "sleep", and possibly compromise gains.

thunderterd

I love boobs
Mar 9, 2005
I've been told take a week off every 8 weeks, but i don't want to take a week off from lifting while on cycle, but also I don't want to take a week off while i'm off either. I lift Mon, Wed and Fri now and I feel like it's plenty of rest around that. Just get some good sleep.

Nitrateman

Sep 26, 2005
If you add up all the missed workouts, for whatever reason, you will probably come up with a week or two of unplanned rest each year. Why schedule more?

Nitrateman

Bizarro

Oracle's my Mod
Aug 16, 2004
Toxic Dump
Im not sure if I do it either but everyone should take a week off. We should do it now when the gyms are crowded with newbies

MR .T

Jul 26, 2005
Ontario
I take a week off every 3-4 months and always come back stronger. Does anyone take time off mid cycle tho?