©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

when i should take carbs?

9serX

Apr 26, 2011
When i should take carbs , before or after training? I play tennis 2 days a week and train 3 days a week

gavin

May 6, 2011
you can take a good meal about 30 to 40 mins later including carbs and protein

jerum

Jun 2, 2011
According the information I have found I think you have to get carbs after training.During the training your muscles use stored energy which is known as glycogen and usable energy which is known as glucose. Therefore after training these two levels in your body may get low and the meantime the recovery process of muscles starts after the exercises. Hence you will in need of carbs after the training. It is known that whey protein is the best to use in such instances.

Last edited:

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
Can differ but definately before and after. Complex carbs with protein about 1 hour before the gym. Fast carbs with high protein after you train. Carbs levels vary with goals but 50grams is a nice amount each time. Then around 1 hour after your post workout shake/meal you want to have a large meal consisting of protein, good carbs and good fats. Remember pre and post workout are your most important meals of the day.

Side note some find consuming food before a workout knocks down their energy too much. That is simply due to the energy it takes to digest food... plus they may feel bloated etc. They are likely consuming too much food before they train or eating it too close to training time. Adjust accordingly to suit your body. Even 20gs of carbs with some protein is great before a workout.