©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

When you change routines?

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
Shocking the muscle is a new focus of mine. As of now I set my split and routine and follow for 4 weeks, 5 th week going random; high reps, failure and super setting, etc...and start whole new routine next 4 weeks...and so on.

I don't understand how some people change their sets, reps, routine, etc daily or even weekly? How can they determine what's actually working and what's not? However I understand fully then purpose of
Shocking the body and wonder just how often the "switch up"
Would be needed to fully get that benefit.

Is keeping the same routine, but switching sets and reps enough? Simply switching from barbell to dumbels, hammer strength to free weights?

What's worked for you as for frequency of switching it all up but not so soon you can't track what's working and what's not as for excessive and splits?

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
I will typically do a workout 3-4 weeks in a row and then switch to another routine that's similar but using different movements and exercises. A journal is a great way to keep track of progress.

rebhchad

Jun 27, 2004
I do 5 week splits.. go up in weight each week until you hit a max week on week 5.. then start all over with new exercises.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Some people just change eveytime as long as they feel they worked it to failure.

Changing exercises is kinda like the westside method where you change exercises every 3-8 weeks. But you gotta keep a log. that way you can on average where you dip off or plateau.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Never actually change routines completely, just make modifications on a regular basis. Add a new exercise every 3-4 weeks and drop an exercise at the same time. It's all about progressive overload for me. Constantly changing the stimulus and forcing the muscle to adapt. I feel like making small changes on a consistent basis is more effective than making huge changes after longer periods.

I make a change, give my body 2-3 weeks to adapt, then make another small change. The regular nature of this helps to prevent periods of stagnation. There's always a new stimulus to adapt to, so the body is always working to make that adaptation.

I also constantly change up my rep range. Undulating periodization seems to work really well for me. One workout is heavy weight and low reps. Next workout of same body part is low weight, high reps. Next workout of that body part is medium weight and medium reps. It's the same principle as the routine. It's a new stimulus on a regular basis, so the body is constantly working to adapt. I only implemented this a few months ago; and just for chest, tris and shoulders, but it's really paid dividends in a short period of time. I've been really surprised. I'm going to be changing my entire routine to this system soon.

The other benefit is, I find I don't get bored as easily with my routine. Having a new exercise to work on my form and having a different rep scheme each time I hit the gym keeps me from getting into a rut and constantly doing the same thing over and over again. I have a really bad tendency toward getting repetitive and doing the same workout for the same reps and weight everyone I go, and this type of structure helps prevent that.