©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

melting test

adammac

Jul 1, 2013
Hey guys I got some test prop raw lately and brewed it and don't think its any good so I did a melting test on it and at 245F it was barely starting to melt. Is this a for sure way to tell if it legit or what?

tripletotal

Mar 12, 2013
Go to bed triple.lol..

Fine. I just wanted to know, cause I got some sucrose I'd like to try to verify the purity of, and I heard a melting point test would help. Lol.

Interesting first post, though...

Last edited:

adammac

Jul 1, 2013
Lol yea its first post for this forum but I ordered a glass thermometer from the same place I bought my lab supplies from and put the thermometer on a metal pan right beside the powder on some tin foil and covered it with a glass lid and watched closely thru the glass door on the oven and started at 200f and crept it up to 230 over a period of 45 mins and then went degree by degree up to 250 and held it for about ten mins and it was just starting to melt so there u go

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Adam ..Lol...you created a false positive thermal test
.the rate of foil heats faster than the substance.

An easybake 100 watt bulb has a temp rise max of 250..try it

adammac

Jul 1, 2013
Well basskilleronline has a whole page describing in detail how to do it step by step and now I hear thats bullshit? And so even if u have a thermometer in an oven for an hour and a half that reads 250 thats not really the degree?

adammac

Jul 1, 2013
All I want to know is if I got the infrared gun and whatever I need..is the melting test a for sure way to tell if the powder is real????

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Yes adam..melt test do work ..but some compounds are very close in numenclature of melt temp. Yeah 250 digital more accurate than mercury or springdial thermometer 250 reading.

FamBam209

Apr 29, 2013
Cali
Thats is gonna be self explainitory bruda what do u think is gonna do more accurate puting a thermom in the oven while tryn to guess the temp of something inside of foil or being able to shoot an infrared lazer at ur item and seeing ur temp rise on the powder and whn it starts to melt bam u have ur temp... There is no 100% accuracy to any of these methods the best tried and true method comes down to jst trusting ur source honestly ...there is moreto it than jst hey look it melts close to the desired temp u have smells texture and the way its suppose to look are all variables that u can use but shit guys that trust their sources knw its good the sec they open their bag and that first smell hits ur nose ;)

FamBam209

Apr 29, 2013
Cali
Everyone is gonna have "what works for them" and what basskiller does or at least what i think is give a detailed descript or what works for him or at least an idea for the general mass so they have an idea of wha they r doing does it make it bullshit? Mayb to some but shoot some may call bullshit to the infrared bud its all personal reference u jst need to find what works for u

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Infra red wont give an exact reading either only a surface reading.

Most labs still use a good ol' lab mercury thermometer they are very very accurate and you can put it right in with the powder and get an extreme accurate reading. There is no need for a infra red thermal gun-

The idea is you wait till its melted then put the thermometer in and see where it's at. This is very simple.

tripletotal

Mar 12, 2013
This is my favorite, and pretty standard:

Dynalon SMP10 Melting Point Apparatus with Digital Temperature Sensing and Display, 0 to 300 degree C, 1 degree C Resolution, 1% Accuracy: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oId1nhgwL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oId1nhgwL

This would work, too, and is a lot cheaper:

Melting Point Apparatus Simple: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Jo1cDSnIL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Jo1cDSnIL

Part of the value of a melting point test is to see if there is a very discrete melting point (all the material melts suddenly at one temp) or if there is a broad range of temperature between when it starts melting and all of it is melted. This can tell you a lot about the purity of a sample.

The first, more expensive one, has a magnifying glass and a light inside and holds two glass tubes, one containing your sample and the other containing a control or known compound if you have it. You can watch individual grains of your sample under magnification and the temp goes up slowly by tenths of a degree. It has a digital temp readout.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Infra red wont give an exact reading either only a surface reading.

Most labs still use a good ol' lab mercury thermometer they are very very accurate and you can put it right in with the powder and get an extreme accurate reading. There is no need for a infra red thermal gun-

The idea is you wait till its melted then put the thermometer in and see where it's at. This is very simple.

You mean they use a digital probe to see exact temp in decimal points im sure huh?

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
You mean they use a digital probe to see exact temp in decimal points im sure huh?

My understanding is that for simple test like a melt test- highly accurate numbers are not all that relevant. Like the difference between 255.2 or 255.257 the reason being that the extra .057 is going to represent something some what irrelevant. Irrelevant because there are a ton of variables that would yield those small incremental differences such as moisture content/ relative humidity and impurities. For identification purposes an interval of .1 of a degree F. Is fine.

Now again this has to do with application- how accurate do you really need to be to test one hormone against another.