©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Bad injection

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
what do you think happened Chris? Bad gear, or did you get a little lazy with your swabbing or whatever?

I know you probably can't know for sure, just wondering what you think

I think that maybe I missed something when I was drawing the gear, or maybe in the alcohol swabbing. I have been running the same gear with no issue, until that one shot.

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
Idk man...here's something that flat out blows my mind. My wife is type 1 diabetic and has to do insulin shots multiple times a day. For the past 18 years she has never once used alcohol or anything to wipe her vials. Never had an infection. I bitch at her constantly about it but its hard to argue almost two decades of non sterile practice without a problem. Im OCD about the shit myself, go thru a box of swabs damn near every month...

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Drop the suspension chris. Its like a lottery , u can get a good pin and a bad pin looks like u need a lottery ticket cause u won a bad one. Doxicyelin should be kept on hand .. you guys need to keep some on hand of the kind you are not allergic too.
fish antibiotics. Anyone working in a dirty environment should bandaid up a quad shot cause shit goes through clothing.. I thought as u get older u get smarter? :)

Yes...Doxcycline! Once I saw it in print from IB, it sparked my memory. I also found the bottle.

Z28

Mar 19, 2014
They have me on both bactrim i think 500 4x daily and keflex 500 4 x daily its been a week I feel fine training is fine too. But a little tiredness and stomach achy not much though.

how are you feeling

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Ima get some 90% alcohol. I don't want to deal with this again.
I found all the necessary antibiotics talked about here on Escrowrefills.com. I've used them before with good results.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
They have me on both bactrim i think 500 4x daily and keflex 500 4 x daily its been a week I feel fine training is fine too. But a little tiredness and stomach achy not much though.

how are you feeling

Must have been a hell of a raging infection there, with all those Meds. Glad your getting better

micro2000

Jun 15, 2013
Also if you use 90% alcohol not the 70% watererd down pads you are better off..

Actually the 70% is more antiseptic than 90 or even 100%. The higher water concentration is necessary for optimal cellular penetration.

Regardless, alcohol swabbing of the skin doesn't produce a sterile site. Much of the skin oils and other organics inhibit antiseptic properties.

micro2000

Jun 15, 2013
Realistically, nothing. If you look at the stratum corneum microscopicly, it looks like layers of shingles piled up. Bacteria can be found in most layers, but antiseptics have poor penetration.

My belief is that smaller gauge needles push less cellular material into the deeper tissues while larger bores (often longer also) are able to push more. This may explain why diabetics rarely get infections from injecting. Obviously contaminated gear is the other likely source.

robertscott

Dec 17, 2012
Realistically, nothing. If you look at the stratum corneum microscopicly, it looks like layers of shingles piled up. Bacteria can be found in most layers, but antiseptics have poor penetration.

My belief is that smaller gauge needles push less cellular material into the deeper tissues while larger bores (often longer also) are able to push more. This may explain why diabetics rarely get infections from injecting. Obviously contaminated gear is the other likely source.

this is all very mind blowing. So do you think swabbing the skin pre-injection is unnecessary?

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
I rarely swab the injection site always dab the top of the bottle but thats it never had an infection knock on wood