©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

pressed 350 today

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
Greg, at the end of my last cycle I tried to bench 350 on two occasions and failed. I could get it about half way up and then stuck. I think my triceps are the weak link in the chain. Currently I'm on Atkins and shedding fat between cycles but my next cycle I plan on getting that goddamn 350! Good to hear you're almost there!

P

pincrusher

Andrew said:
Greg, at the end of my last cycle I tried to bench 350 on two occasions and failed. I could get it about half way up and then stuck. I think my triceps are the weak link in the chain. Currently I'm on Atkins and shedding fat between cycles but my next cycle I plan on getting that goddamn 350! Good to hear you're almost there!
if you are having problems doing the top half of the movement a great way to overcome that is to get on the smith machine or use a power rack and set the stops right at your sticking point and do reps that way. dont do full movements but only the top half of the rep. this will help to increase your tricep and front delt strength. it is the same as when powerlifters do board presses where they place a few banded 2x4's on their chest so they can only lower the weight so far.

Andrew

Jun 11, 2005
pincrusher said:
if you are having problems doing the top half of the movement a great way to overcome that is to get on the smith machine or use a power rack and set the stops right at your sticking point and do reps that way. dont do full movements but only the top half of the rep. this will help to increase your tricep and front delt strength. it is the same as when powerlifters do board presses where they place a few banded 2x4's on their chest so they can only lower the weight so far.

Thanks Pin! That advice makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna change up my next routine to do just that!

mandarb11

Oct 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
Its cool to hear about everyones achievements, it helps to keep us all motivated and pushing yourself that extra little bit! Tomorrow is my max day for bench so I will see what my new 1 rep max is, so I hope to see it go up quite alot from last time. Usually when I rep with 405 it is on my 4th overall set (1 set with 135 (15 reps), 1 with 225(10 reps), 1 at 315 (10 to 12 reps)and 1 at 405 (8 to 10 reps depending on how I feel). I will be starting with 135lbs then work up to my max never exceeding 1 rep. This way I will have full strength when I hit my max with plenty of rest in between!

Clint1

Mar 26, 2005
Awesome, i know the feeling of hitting those personal bests. Right now i'm aiming for 315. I haven't maxed out since i started this cycle, but i would guesstimate my max at 275-285. I go up 10 lbs here and 10lbs there, which feels good, but it won't compare with 315. Good for you on 350. Thats a very respectable press, your 360 is right around the corner. Good luck Clint

powermad

Dec 4, 2005
pincrusher said:

Yep. Board presses are probably the best thing for increasing bench press strength. stick to 2, 3 and 4 board presses unless you bench with a shirt. Not to nitpick, but the boards we (powerlifters or wannabe plers, lol) use are 2x6 that are gluted/nailed or screwed together. This gives a better surface area to hit when board pressing. A 1 board is 1.5" thick, 2 board is 3" thick, etc. Usually most raw bencher's sticking points are 2-4" off the chest which is why these are so effective.

Occasionally a 4 board can be used for triceps or lockout work if you have a long stroke/are tall. But 2 and 3 boards are the meat of my benching. They not only work the hell out of the tris and delts but they teach you to grind out past your sticking point (eventually erase it).

Another approach is 1 and a half reps on close grip bench. Really fries your triceps. Just do one full rep, then come down halfway on your next rep (or until you feel your chest/delts taking over from the tris) and press back up. Repeat. Sort of like a close grip mixed with a JM Press.

To avoid tendonitis in the elbows and shoulder problems, supplement your tricep heavy pressing work with lighter dumbell extensions or pushdowns for high repetitions and do a couple sets of bicep work ( I do hammer curls for 2 sets of 8-10 just once a week).

Last edited:

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
That is my goal for this year. I got 2 reps with 320 a few weeks ago. Really my goal is to develop the pec more in general. I'm trying the advice Pin gave regarding using less weight and concentrating the lift at the top. I tried it and my pecs were absolutly blown out!

gregdiesel

AnaSCI's Ivan Drago
Apr 3, 2005
mr.nitrofish said:
I just broke my personal record today! I had a spotter and decide to see what i could do for one rep. I hit 315 for the first time in my ever with only a fingertip help from my spotter on the bar. man what a feeling. my spotter convinced me to do another after a breather and I was able to land another. this was probley one of the biggest body building accomplishments of my life.

I can't imagine what landing a 350lb bench is like, but you must be feeling like a god.

Good job bro!

mightymo51

Jan 21, 2006
Congrats on meeting the personal goal bro! My goal is 320 right now and I couldn't quite get it up the other day, but it's all good because I'm gonna start my next cycle in a few weeks. I should definately get it then.