©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Thicker handle??

Rory

Banned
Sep 29, 2012
Lift with what fits your hand the best. I dont think any single handle is greater then another. Peoples hand sizes an grips are different. Go with what feels best for you.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Thicker handle is a gripm strength builder. Also thicker handle can help elbow pain or lower arm pain that is akin to shin splints in the lower leg. T

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
For pushing I tend to like a more slender bar/handle

Pulling I prefer a thicker bar/ handle.

I've used some very thick db's and it was weird turning my wrist during curls. And on the other side of it- I've used some db's with a narrow handle it felt like it was slipping all over.

Rory

Banned
Sep 29, 2012
I've seen people wearing gloves have grip issues when they stop, but that's the only time. Now some dumbells I've also noticed are slim an ill throw a wrist strap over it. But I've never noticed a harder or softer grip based on size of handle.

A good case is rock climbers who develop an incredible grip thru regular climbing. They make exercisers for that but every climber I know say they don't use them.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I've seen people wearing gloves have grip issues when they stop, but that's the only time. Now some dumbells I've also noticed are slim an ill throw a wrist strap over it. But I've never noticed a harder or softer grip based on size of handle.

A good case is rock climbers who develop an incredible grip thru regular climbing. They make exercisers for that but every climber I know say they don't use them.

I have pretty insane grip strength from years or jiu jitsu- wearing a Gi is amazing for grip strength. Judo and BJJ players have crazy grip. People trip out when I do door frame pull ups with middle and ring fingers only. In reality those are the two strongest fingers

wrees

Jun 1, 2013
I lost all my grip strength after I got a girlfriend....;)

but I do think fat grips build grip strength, sometimes i use dumbells with oversized grips for my last curl sets and it kills my forearms

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
That is just basic. Any deadlifter that actually has a good DL knows training with a thicker bar makes a thin bar easier to hang on to. The best grip strength for me came through heavy plate loaded grip frame ..
T

MayGodBlessyou

Mar 21, 2013
Philly
I do have large mitts,paws, hands.... Ha..... So was thinking giving them a try, to blast the arms,grip,forearms more without dedicating tedious forearm exercises etc