©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Bench press grip

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
So how do you grip the bar? Thumb wrapped around bar? Or open palm?

I do thumb wrapped. I notice the majority do an open palm. I just don't feel comfortable like that. But doing the bar, it does seem to have a different feel.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Open as well but I also set the safety pins as it has some risk factor to it. I also use open grip for chins, dead lifts, dumbell curls, side lat raises, and military presses. I just love the feel. I do however use straps for all pulling movements.

Bfit247

May 21, 2013
Same I wrap thumb always. Isnt that the whole reason why we have thumbs??? Lol makes us able to grip better... to each there own.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Gotta say I use an open palm. Just feels more comfortable to me. Maybe its just a habit. I do think thumbs wrapped is a safer grip. I always use chalk if I am sweating and prefer to stay away from slick chrome bars too.

zman12

Jan 24, 2013
I like to use open as I like the feel of this been doing it for so long now this way.

paak

Aug 17, 2011
Open on everything I left. Using your thumbs can cause your wrists to roll back & that leads to multiple issues. Comfort is gonna be the best choice. I was afraid that I'd drop the bar or or dumbbell - but after unwrapping my thumb my wrists stopped hurting & I was able to increase my strength in all areas.

tripletotal

Mar 12, 2013
Thumbs wrapped for pushing movements, open on most pulling movements except heavy deads.

I do modify the grip on the barbell for powerlifting style bench press, though. I start with the thumb and index finger tight against the bar, then rotate my hand slightly inward before locking down my grip. The bar sits diagonally across my palm from the base of the thumb to just below the pinky finger. This allows proper rotation of the humerus and full engagement of the right muscles (lats in particular) with reduced shoulder strain.

Just what I've found works for me.

formula1069

Donating Member
Oct 29, 2012
Open on flat bench,inclines, and smith machine. Closed on dumbells , even though i don't lift heavy i always use chalk also On all push movements

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Open on flat bench,inclines, and smith machine. Closed on dumbells , even though i don't lift heavy i always use chalk also On all push movements

Not trying to hijack the thread, but formula..you mentioned using chalk. Where do you buy it at. I can't find any locally in any of the stores.

formula1069

Donating Member
Oct 29, 2012
Not trying to hijack the thread, but formula..you mentioned using chalk. Where do you buy it at. I can't find any locally in any of the stores.

Sports Authority
They use to keep it some other dept beside the weight lifting stuff

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Sports Authority
They use to keep it some other dept beside the weight lifting stuff

They have one here. I will go by this week. Thanks for the information. There is a lot of gymnastic places around here, and I know they use a lot of chalk..so, I figure someone has to carry it.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
They have one here. I will go by this week. Thanks for the information. There is a lot of gymnastic places around here, and I know they use a lot of chalk..so, I figure someone has to carry it.

I like a product called liquid grip..: its used in rock wall climbing and the more you sweat the tackier it gets..basically a liquid chalk thats not messy and in a small squeeze bottlle...ib

big n wv

Jun 19, 2013
I like a product called liquid grip..: its used in rock wall climbing and the more you sweat the tackier it gets..basically a liquid chalk thats not messy and in a small squeeze bottlle...ib

I use open palm (suicide grip) on bench, but when I use chalk for pulling movements, I swear by liquid chalk. A little bit goes a long way