©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hawk's meet results 12/5/15

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
So, Friday I traveled four and a half hours to Southern MO to compete in a Raw meet. Weigh in's were at 6:00 and I did not cut weight so I was 284. Apparently I have gotten pretty soft. Nonetheless, this meet was to test and see were I was at with a bum shoulder I have been rehabbing and to decide how to proceed from here. I am not super passionate about it, but I do like having my lifts made official and like to have a reason to improve aka a goal to strive for. Anyway, we arrived at the meet sight around 9:00 for a rules briefing which was held at a gym to it was a tight fit. The meet had 50 lifters with at least 15 ladies which was a surprise to me, but the more the merrier...not. The meet drug on till 7:00 PM, the third flight which I was in started deadlifts at 6:00, by which time I was tired and hungry. Really, I just wanted to go home by then as did all of everyone else.

So, if you haven't kept up with things I will give a brief update and then go into each lift. First and foremost I have been nursing a bum shoulder for a long time now. Really, most of my life. I have had bad posture, bad form and muscle imbalances in my right shoulder which have lead to one minor injury to another and another and so on. So, while I have benched more my goal was simply to break 400 without pain. Mission accomplished! Still plenty of work to for this man in his low forties, but a positive sign. The other thing is that for no other reason than I don't like them I didn't deadlift all summer. Not good I know, but a lesson learned.

All that being said here were my lifts.

Squat (belt and wraps):
1st 575-smoked it.
2nd-600 smoked it.
3rd-625 got red lighted for shaking on descent...a first for me, but I do that.

Bench (the bench seamed like it was covered in wax paper and was slippery as heck):
1. 365-smooth
2. 390-fast
3. 405 fast...had more, but I hit my goal.

Deadlift (this was a crap shoot. I rarely went above 500 in training as I didn't have it)
1. 500-easy
2. 550-fas
3. 580-fast. I should have gone 600 for a 1600 total.

Total:1585
Final thoughts and future plans: Overall, this is my best total, but my bodyweight was really high. I also played it conservative as I was just feeling everything out. At this point I have no meet plans, but will start block style periodization just the same. I will start by cutting weight and working on mobility for a few months. I want to give my shoulder and hips some attention and get my weight back down to around 265 or so. I need some time to let my mind rest and build my base. I will likely compete again, but don't want to thing about it again.

Hawk

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
Hell yeah bro, impressive! So where did you place if you dont mind me asking?

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Hell yeah bro, impressive! So where did you place if you dont mind me asking?

I won the 308's and the masters and had the third highest total. There was a beast in the 220's who totaled mid 1800's and my friend who totaled 1760 in the 275's. I am a mid of the road open lifter at best, but a really competitive master's lifter.

The guys you see on youtube are really rare and the best on the planet. For average state meet level lifter I do alright.

Also, keep in mind there is a shit ton difference between a "gym" lift and one on the platform. Pler's say, it doesn't count unless it's at a meet.

Thanks for asking,
Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Bum shoulder??? What type of injury?
Those are really good numbers for someone with a shoulder injury.
As far as being soft, what is BF right now?
Again, for having a shoulder injury, nice numbers...Bravo.

I struggle with upper cross syndrome, so basically it is a mobility/stability issue. I fail the wall and pencil test big time. So, basically I stuggle setting my shoulders then my arm shakes and I strain my pec and rotators constantly. I have no tendon/ligament issues which is good. I just have nagging pain, a minefield of trigger points in my teres, traps and rhomboids and have to constantly roll out my pecs as well.

Hawk

Jan 26, 2015
midwest
Nice work Hawk! For future reference, throw some chalk on the bench. I did my first meet in 97' and it was horrific. The first lift I concentrated more on not sliding off the bench. Apparently gyms will use furniture polish on them to shine them. A veteran told me to throw chalk all over it. Although it was frowned on I won the meet and set my first state record with many more to come. I was 220lbs, 6.5% bf and went 460 raw. I stayed with it until 2007 until I went to a major meet that most of you go to every year and I ripped my labrum. I had a 2.5 inch tear. I went into surgery for 7 hours. Currently I still go heavy but not to full potential as I have severe arthritis in the right shoulder. Those are great numbers. Keep up te great work!

Bear

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I won the 308's and the masters and had the third highest total. There was a beast in the 220's who totaled mid 1800's and my friend who totaled 1760 in the 275's. I am a mid of the road open lifter at best, but a really competitive master's lifter.

The guys you see on youtube are really rare and the best on the planet. For average state meet level lifter I do alright.

Also, keep in mind there is a shit ton difference between a "gym" lift and one on the platform. Pler's say, it doesn't count unless it's at a meet.

Thanks for asking,
Hawk

This is very true!

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Nice work Hawk! For future reference, throw some chalk on the bench. I did my first meet in 97' and it was horrific. The first lift I concentrated more on not sliding off the bench. Apparently gyms will use furniture polish on them to shine them. A veteran told me to throw chalk all over it. Although it was frowned on I won the meet and set my first state record with many more to come. I was 220lbs, 6.5% bf and went 460 raw. I stayed with it until 2007 until I went to a major meet that most of you go to every year and I ripped my labrum. I had a 2.5 inch tear. I went into surgery for 7 hours. Currently I still go heavy but not to full potential as I have severe arthritis in the right shoulder. Those are great numbers. Keep up te great work!

Bear

Great advice and we have never chalked out backs as much as on that bench. We were covered, fortunately I bench pretty flat backed so it was ok. Not good, but ok.

That sucks about that tear, sounds like you had a future setting records. I would love if you post some advice...any for shoulder health or benching in general.

Thanks,
Hawk

ParanoidFitness

I struggle with upper cross syndrome, so basically it is a mobility/stability issue. I fail the wall and pencil test big time. So, basically I stuggle setting my shoulders then my arm shakes and I strain my pec and rotators constantly. I have no tendon/ligament issues which is good. I just have nagging pain, a minefield of trigger points in my teres, traps and rhomboids and have to constantly roll out my pecs as well.

Hawk

Are you stretching?
How's the flexibility? Maybe some yoga (don't laugh).

4 Poses for Upper Crossed Syndrome

Some stuff here that you most likely already know:

Avoid upper cross syndrome and maintain rotator cuff stability

Ogre

Jul 24, 2014
Kansas
Way to go, looks like you did good for an older guy.lol.I'm still sitting at home waiting to be able to lift more than 20# after having surgery.

Jan 26, 2015
midwest
Great advice and we have never chalked out backs as much as on that bench. We were covered, fortunately I bench pretty flat backed so it was ok. Not good, but ok.

That sucks about that tear, sounds like you had a future setting records. I would love if you post some advice...any for shoulder health or benching in general.

Thanks,
Hawk

Hawk,
I lifted heavy everyday. The biggest reason for the tear was of my own ignorance. I allowed my body to out grow everything underneath the muscle. I always spend 15 minutes before every workout with a broom handle stretching rotator and shoulders.
I actually have many records in mainly bench press and squat. I was never much of a dead lifter. I to bench with a flat back. That is primarily because that's how many of us were taught growing up. I made up for it with my massive triceps.
5 time world champion in 5 weight classes Ron Palmer told me that I had the strongest tris he had ever seen. To me that was quite a compliment, so I used that and continued on doing flat back. These days I am 44 years old and I use heat patches for 1 hour on each shoulder before heavy work out. It makes a huge difference.
If you have any more questions I would love to help!

Bear

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Way to go, looks like you did good for an older guy.lol.I'm still sitting at home waiting to be able to lift more than 20# after having surgery.

Well, at least you know what your doing and can get back quick. Hopefully, this will be your last surgery as well.

Hawk