My mother was born in 1929 and my dad in 1915. That's no typo. I'm 41. That's no typo.
I lost my dad at 2 in 1973. Sis was 11 mos. and older brother was 10 and growing up with a single mom, tough as nails working her rear end off to support us and guess what? Learned a LOT about not getting everything you wanted, I worked early and brought home money to help out. Just as my dad did in 1922 at 7 selling papers on the corners in Hoboken, NJ that he brought back from NYC at 5am.
I have two girls, 6 and 3. I think kids should have 'more than we had' but to a point. More guidance, more instilling confidence through hard work and even more coping skills dealing with failure and disappointment. Life will throw a lot at them. I try to teach them not to complain about what they don't get that they want, but to think of what they don't get that they DON'T want. My job is to show them I love them, they can come to me and trust that I'll always accept them and help them to grow up to be happy, well adjusted, loving people. I'm not perfect, neither were my parents, but I'd like to think they were perfect for me and I guess that's all that matters.